Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need a cook book

Options
Does anybody know how I can get a free big green egg cook book? Sorry new to this egg cooking and I need a the help I can get.

Comments

• bakoque
    Options
    Check out the cookbook section at Naked Whiz dot com.
  • Nick311
    Options
    Will do. Thanks so such for the response.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Hi Nick, tell ya ... in all seriousness, if free is what your looking for, the search box up top offers a lot of info and just to the right of this page as you scroll down are alot of different food catagories.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options

SoCalTim said:
    Hi Nick, tell ya ... in all seriousness, if free is what your looking for, the search box up top offers a lot of info and just to the right of this page as you scroll down are alot of different food catagories.
    I second that, but also, just pose a question, someone will answer with a recipe if you ask for it.

My go to cookbook is google and this forum.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Zmokin said:

SoCalTim said:
    I second that, but also, just pose a question, someone will answer with a recipe if you ask for it.

My go to cookbook is google and this forum.

+2

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Welcome.  The search function is great.  You can also try Hillbilly Cast Iron cooking on Facebook.  I get a lot of recipes there.  It doesn't have do be done on cast iron.  Any recipe you get can be done on the Egg.  Times will vary but cook to temp and you will be fine.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    I feel bad. My daughter got me " The Big Green Egg Cookbook", for father day. Never use pull it out to make her think I use it. Get most recipes from here or the internet. 
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I always test drive cookbooks from the library. That way I know if I'll cook anything from them before I buy.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    +1 for using the library first.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Zmokin
    Options
    I feel bad. My daughter got me " The Big Green Egg Cookbook", for father day. Never use pull it out to make her think I use it. Get most recipes from here or the internet. 
    That's a good father.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Get cooks illustrated meat book.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    +1 on this forum as the best cookbook you can find. If the search function here does not get you what you want, Google whatever it is and add Big Green Egg. If you still can't find it, just post a question. You will get a response quickly, no matter what time of day.
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yep. Pass on the BGE cookbook and search the forum using Google instead.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    There is one problem using the forum that doesn't exist in a cookbook. Ask for directions on how to cook a rock ... five forum members will give you eight different answers. Then others will kick in with different ideas or modified ideas. Brine or not to brine that rock. Direct or indirect. Low and slow or turbo. Foil or not. Dry or glazed. Wet or dry aged. Geez, it's a multitude of choices on the forum. In a cookbook there is usually only one recommended method.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Save your money. It's not a good cookbook. Seriously.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Count me as one of the people here who went right out and bought the BGE cook book.  I completely forgot I even owned it, nor could I tell you where it is at the moment.  I've relied mainly on the web, and this place in particular.  Other sites I frequent are amazingribs.com and nakedwhiz.  As for what @Jeepster47 says, it can be true.  Like everything, many people have different tastes.  So for new cooks, what I usually do is google a recipe or idea including "Big Green Egg" in the search, and many of the first results are threads from forum.  I will read a few, and listen to the plethora of ideas and opinions, and come to my own conclusion based on what my personal tastes.  This is a great place filled with great people always willing to help where they can.

Cheers!
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Adding a bit to the @Jeepster47 post:  What you realize with all those options is that they all will work to produce great eats.  The BGE gives you tremendous cooking flexibility.  Pick one and run with it-keep some notes on the plan and end-results then modify with the next cook and go again.  As has been said numerous times, almost any road will get you there and the journey is the best part of the trip.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • badinfluence
    Options

@Holepuncher‌ don't feel bad about the co I jbook. I have had mine for over 3 years and have not made 1 thing out of it.

Would love too but most have ingredients that i can't even find here in small town Iowa. Go figure.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

The ONLY way to cook a rock is with a 24 hour brine and then a reverse sear.  Anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

I, too have some cookbooks I never use and the collection is growing as I got one from my daughter and another one from my mother-in-law this Christmas.  I'll have to make a couple of the recipes out of there just to save face, but I won't be using them often.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Nick311
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback. I found some great recipes last night and my chicken wings was truly a hit. Think I talked somebody into buying a BGE or the taste of the wings did.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No you do not need a cook book. On this and the old forum you will find more and better than any book. Plus all free and better.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @lousubcap ... thanks for cleaning up after me. Your post should be the first one all newbies see when entering the forum.

@Foghorn ... one must know where the rock came from before recommending a brine. Oceanside rocks are already too salty.

• Zmokin
    Options
    So how do you like your rocks?

I prefer mine on the rare side with a good sear but some want them well done low & slow.

It's just a personal preference sort of thing.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I hear @henapple only cooks from cookbooks so maybe he will chime in with some good advice

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Me too. The BGE book is lacking.
    Kemah, TX
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    My question how do you eat a rock (sorry for hijacking the thread) 
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    cook861 said:
    My question how do you eat a rock (sorry for hijacking the thread) 

With a little SPOG or maybe some DP Sedimentary-ish
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Get the Adam Perry Lang books if you truly feel you need a cookbook. The BGE cookbook sucks. I really wish I hadn't wasted $50 on it.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    The big green egg is the least used book I have.
    Dunedin, FL
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Go to www.nibblemethis.com . Good site in my opinion.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE