Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THE WIFE!!!!!!

Options

Comments

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    Well this works for me when I want something. I just keep mentioning it once a week or so and eventually SWMBO says just f'in buy it already and STFU! So I do!
    NW IOWA
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    It's Christmas!
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Mine started out with the "you are going to spend how much on a BBQ grill?"  Once I got it, learned how to cook on the BGE and she tasted some of the awesome food I have made, it quickly became "that sure was a good idea we had on getting a BGE."  There was no "we" to it.  But she now tells me "just to buy whatever meat I want, she knows I will do some kind of rub or injection and add the right wood and the BGE will make whatever I am doing turn out amazing." 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Lifetime warranty. It's a cheaper hobby then alot of things. And a final product others can enjoy. Healthier eating. Cheaper cooling bills in summer. All in one outdoor cooking system. Reuse charcoal. Something you can do together. Cleaner kitchen. Emergency preparedness( power outage). Makes you a better cook. Built-in community. Cooking on a egg is fun.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Go with the @shtgunal3‌ plan, just get and ask for forgiveness. I had to do a lot of selling. Not for a long time, but some serious I want it, I want it type of stuff to include benefits etc. etc.
    A day of window shopping and stumbling across this forum done me in. The rest is history. Whatever you decide, be careful when asking for advice on the forum. Buying a BGE will be the least of your problems.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    Options
    Don't you have your own savings? My wife and I have our own "spending" money to spend whatever we want. While I felt I could have simply dipped into to the house fund and my wife will be dissapointed. But I figured I'll dip into mine. Bought the large. Recent thanksgiving the egg was the topic of our meal. A rave review of the turkey, stuffing and green bean casserole. Anyway it was tight with one oven and an egg. She says we could have another egg to help. Now I'm looking for a smaller one and you bet it'll come out of the house fund.
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Man up dude. Just buy it if you want it.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    The best investment someone can make for all the above reasons....This is a lifestyle....Hey you could be trying to bring a Whiskey Still home...I know everyone will be happy in the end..Good Luck..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • badinfluence
    Options
    You should not have to ask. You tell her you are going to go buy a large egg.

then a month later you again tell her you are going to buy a xl egg

then another month latter....well you get the point. MAN UP CUPCAKE
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    As others mentioned it has a lifetime warranty and it could* be the last cooker you buy.  If you compare that with spending $400 or so on a new grill every 3-5 years it makes sense.  This is especially true if you are getting an employee discount.  

*Don't tell here the part where most people end up buying a second egg or other cookers once bitten by the smoking bug. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    My egg and I are approaching our 1 year anniversary.  We spend 3-4 cooks together per week.  The stove is a lonely, stainless piece of furniture that rarely gets attention.  My wife encouraged me to get one after years of debating it (plus we had two kids during the debating period).  I am thinking of getting her (my grill) a brisket for our anniversary cook.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Buy something for her also...like a vacuum.  

Just kidding, get her an Egg also.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I bought a Kitchen Aid mixer for my first wife one year I had no ideas. "YOU BOUGHT ME A PRACTICAL GIFT????"
    If you look closely, you can still see the Kitchen Aid logo on the top of my head.
    Flint, Michigan
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ how could ANYONE now love a new kitchen aid mixer?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    Please don't put all accountants in the cheap file.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    ads75 said:

Buy something for her also...like a vacuum.  

Just kidding, get her an Egg also.
    @ads75‌ -- I once bought my wife a pressure washer for her birthday. Took a chance but she loves using it ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ how could ANYONE now love a new kitchen aid mixer?
    She never liked practical gifts (r.i.p.).  She thought of them as my way of saying, "There you go, now get to work!"  I'm lucky I never bought her a vacuum for a gift!  I never bought her a practical gift again.  Lesson learned.  The current Mrs. Flintstone hasn't received a practical gift from me!
    Flint, Michigan
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

The GFU gave me a directive for basically all gift occasions: something shiny!  We were at a friend's home, and they were using the KA Mixer, and she said she had always wanted one.  I asked what color.  She got a shiny new red KA mixer for Xmas, and was very happy with it.

Reminds me of the time I got my ex wife a new shotgun for xmas... 

Santa Paula, CA
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

I was like you, I had been wanting an Egg for about 5 years. Two years ago we went to Italy, and on a tour with a couple from Cleveland and he started talking about his Egg...that was it for me.

Just this past March we got our bonuses, it was the highest I ever received in 13+ years with the company. I knew the time was right then, told Mr Evie that it was Egg time. We started looking, bought it and got it home in a week. We have never looked back. People tease me about the cost, but when they eat my food they shut up.

I have always loved to cook for people, but the Egg takes it to a new level. Do you have a large family, neighbors you hang with or want to meet? The Egg is great for bringing them together. You will be the most popular guy in the neighborhood and will have fun doing it.

But bottom line: you know when the time is right, like I did. If it is now...do it. Don't look back. That is all.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    When you do buy it. Buy enough lump and bovine matter to cook 5 meals in a row . she'll hate hate your guts til the 5th meal and will have become addicted and will be begging for a fix.This is a proven scientific fact and based on data gathered from a focus group covered with lacerations and and 1000 mile stares.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Funny. I read and re-read some of the responses to the OT. The get it and ask for forgiveness is suspect & funny to me. Look, my wife works as hard (if not harder than I do). We make decisions together on larger purchase items not because she doesn't trust me or vice versa. I know you're thinking but, the BGE isn't too expensive. On the surface it isn't. Add a table, toys etc and it quickly adds up. Point is the forum is fun, entertaining, empathetic at times, good for a laugh, pick up some great tips and even meet some great people and become friends. But, you know your wife not us. If I had got my BGE on the sneaks it wouldn't be cool in my mind. Your wife sounds like an intelligent woman so, treat her as such and have the discussion with her. She may surprise you and want one herself.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well, greetings board.  This is a heck of a place for my first post, but here goes.

The cool thing about this forum is it's a gathering place for men (mostly) to talk about a manly hobby.  

All this strategizing on how to trick or convince the wifey so you don't get into trouble... it just doesn't make sense in my mind.  

Of course, maybe you shouldn't listen to me, since I'm single.  After reading this thread however, I'm sure glad I don't have to ask anybody for permission for things.

Phoenix 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    If you need a dollars and sense argument:

First, take her to a BGE demonstration. Check with your local vendor - the thing sells itself when you see first hand how it performs, and how versatile a home appliance it is.

This last summer was hot. The house air conditioner has to remove heat, and it does it with electricity that we buy for $0.16/kWh. This summer was also my first with an egg.

Didn't use the oven a single time this summer. Not once did my home A/C have to work overtime to remove the heat from a 400f oven to keep the house at 76 comfortable degrees. Anyone accustomed to taking a roast out of an oven in August knows how much heat that indoor oven allows into the room. A few hours after cooking, the oven is room temperature, where do you think all that heat went?

Tell her if you have a Big Green Egg, then she will not use that oven as long as the outside temperature is over 75f.
    Tell her if you have a Big Green Egg, you will gladly gleefully and joyfully cook for her.
    Tell her if you have a Big Green Egg, she can have an annual patio party.

If she still says no, tell her to go [edited] herself, besides you don't need her permission to buy something with your own damn money.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    blasting said:
    Well, greetings board.  This is a heck of a place for my first post, but here goes.

The cool thing about this forum is it's a gathering place for men (mostly) to talk about a manly hobby.  

All this strategizing on how to trick or convince the wifey so you don't get into trouble... it just doesn't make sense in my mind.  

Of course, maybe you shouldn't listen to me, since I'm single.  After reading this thread however, I'm sure glad I don't have to ask anybody for permission for things.

It's called being "**** Whipped". It's not my style either, so Welcome to the board. In my mind, a real man would know if the budget could handle it and then buy the darn thing, with the complete understanding that she could do the same darn thing for something that was important to her. It is always well advised to communicate on big purchases, when the budgets get tight.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Show her the resale values. I just sold a used large for $660. Used it for 5 years and only lost a couple hundred dollars.
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    It's a smart investment. Buy the egg. Explain later, as you're eating, that the egg has a lifetime warranty, and gassers are way overpriced.

Then hide all the receipts from the accessories you "must" purchase later on. ;-)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ... My wife encouraged me to get one after years of debating it (plus we had two kids during the debating period). ...
    @SmokeytheEGG‌ ... Are you telling us that she "encouraged" you to get the egg, so you wouldn't have a third kid?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's def not about saving money lol lets see it all started with the egg, then bought a maverick thermometer system, then bought a EGG grate lifter ... Then needed a egg table ... Then needed a roof over the egg to stay out of the weather, then put in a firepit so the family could sit around fire while I cooked and then bought a custom made S.S. Grate to put on the said fire pit for roasting oysters ... To be continued ha ha ha ha ha ha

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @BigGreenGator‌ liking the pit! The SS expanded metal grid is perfect for all kinds of fun.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @BigGreenGator‌, nice set up. Its interesting how things continue to grow around the egg. I'm looking into something like this and area for an outdoor movie theater.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.