Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick probes failed again

Options
Does anyone make probes (food) that can go in the Maverick? Last time they failed we went and bought a whole new maverick since no one sold replacement probes locally. Iare there any better probes? They always fail when you need them the most. Been checking the ham every 1/2 hour now and it cutting into my couch/drinking time.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Maverick sells them. Get the news ones and they seem to last much longer. I can't speak for them but I emailed thier CS dept from thier website after I had 3 fail and they sent me a set of the new dual probes. They can measure egg temp and food interchangeably. They really took good care of me. I have the new ET-733 now and it came with those probes. No issues so far. Also, I think my wife was running them through the dishwasher....so it could have been that.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    The issue I'm having with my Maverick is it keeps losing connection with the remote, even after I replaced all the batteries? Any ideas besides buying a new one, it's 2 years old, I'm sure it's out of warranty.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Are you sure the connections are tight? I have to push on mine pretty firm to get them fully set in the meter. Just a suggestion.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    The probe said the meat was done at 140. Used the thermopen and it was at 80. I tried moving the probe around but no luck. The pit probe worked correctly.

Garnerville, NY
  • Texasguppie
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    The probe said the meat was done at 140. Used the thermopen and it was at 80. I tried moving the probe around but no luck. The pit probe worked correctly.

Are you wrapping the probes in foil? If so, that is your culprit. As for cleaning the dishwasher is a no-no. Soapy sponge bath and be careful with that!
  • Smoker317
    Options

Are you wrapping the probes in foil? If so, that is your culprit. As for cleaning the dishwasher is a no-no. Soapy sponge bath and be careful with that!
    Is it OK to wrap the braided wire in foil but leave the entire probe uncovered?
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes. I use foil to protect the wire from exposure to direct flames. If your egg is already settled into your cooking temperature, this may not even be necessary. The most important area to protect is the joint between the wire and the probe. Under no circumstances should you allow moisture to come in contact with that specific spot. Many times, I'll just use a scotch brite Brillo pad and rub off the gunk off the probe. No water necessary. The wire really doesn't need to be cleaned.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • iyacyas
    Options

robnybbq said:
    Occasionally I have a similar problem, I have 2 of these meters and both suffer but one seams to be worse.  The foil is a good candidate, in your case.  I always Make sure that the probe is not touching bone and in the middle of the meat not close to protruding out the grill side.  When I cook a large piece of meat I make sure that the probe is on top going down if possible to make sure that the rest of the probe (not the cable) is not exposed to the coals or plate setter. Theses things have helped me anyways.
  • iyacyas
    Options
    blukat said:
    The issue I'm having with my Maverick is it keeps losing connection with the remote, even after I replaced all the batteries? Any ideas besides buying a new one, it's 2 years old, I'm sure it's out of warranty.
    I had one for over a year and was suffering the same issue,  the remote unit would loose connection from about 5 feet away.  I called the company and they made it good, sent me a replacement unit.  I was impressed.  Does not hurt to call or try.  These are good thermometers, I have used mine for over 5 years now, rarely change batteries and replaced one probe way back when before I discovered the skill of cleaning without water, called a food safe wipe. They are about 5 degree to hot in readings but I adjust for that.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Foil has two benefits I think, one is to shield cable from direct IR (in case you didn't run it over a setter leg) and the other is keeping moisture out of the cable probe junction. It is a good idea to pull the foil off after a low and slow cook and replace it. Make sure to twist the foil onto the probe to get as snug a seal as you can. To clean the probes, and Thermapen I use alcohol swabs, sold in packs of 250 for <$2.
    To lengthen the probe life don't use on direct cooks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!