Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! - Last minute first brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife bought a 4 pound flat cut brisket. Plan on cooking it in 24 hours from now. What should it be doing? Mustard? Which rub? How long and at what temp and grate level pan or no pan? This would be my first one and as usual last minute info needed.[p]clueless in Hawaii,[p]Greg

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Greg. I'd vote for skipping the mustard. Just a healthy dose of Cow Lick (or your favorite beef rub), and if you want some turb sugar, then 215-220 at the cooking level for 9 or 10 hours until it feels tender, then wrap tight in foil and rest in the cooler for a couple hours. Definitely a pan to create an indirect setup. Steady temps and ride 'er out! Even little flats come out good this way, but get it off as soon as it gives up tender to the poke![p]Just some idears.
    Have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Options
    guava greg,
    What a nice wife!! i wish my wife brought home a brisket.[p]I did my only brisket with cow lick as well and it came out great. But then again, I had 2 pork butts sitting above the brisket. I figured why waste the heat. Cook some pork as well.

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    The ol'fork tender test ... if you can twist a fork (not all the way around either) in her she is done.
    just about 45 degrees in either direction ... tender.[p]Good luck... I just bought a reduced meat at Wallyworld .. whole packer ... can't wait for the point to be done. MMM.... Maybe I'll make it tonight ... By the way its snowing here ... 2-4 inches ... hows the weather Hawaii?[p]Doug

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Smoked Signals,
    The weather in hawaii? Good question. I have no idea. Here in DC it is about 60 and rainy. Wish we had snow. Would have had about a foot and a half today if the rain was snow. Going camping next weekend up in the highlands of West Virginia, and we are counting on frigid temps and snow. Where the hell is winter anyways?[p]Have fun with the chunk-o-chest cook!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,[p]10 hours for 4 lbs.? Really?? Ok...you're the boss. Should I forget about meat temp then? I don't have a grid temp so how much at dome? I have it coming to room temp right now rubbed in Cowlick and extra turbo sugar. Just want to be sure about the temp. and time.[p]Aloha![p]Here in almost down to the 60's Hawaii! That's very cold for here.
  • JeffHughes
    Options
    guava greg,[p]It may take ten hours, eight almost for sure. Don't know why the little ones take so long....[p]With brisket it is a tenderness thing, not so much a temp thing. When a probe or a fork slides in and out easily, it's done(or at least ready for the cooler). This will be somewhere between 180 and 200...[p]Go about 250 dome...[p]If you happen to over or under cook the flat, just chop it and serve with a couple of good sauces....[p]I'm sure it will turn out fine...[p]Regards-Jeff
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    guava greg,
    I cook smaller ones lower. Sometimes I even try and run at 215 grate level. That gives you plenty of time in the plateau without too much heat to dry that little puppy out.[p]If it is tender in 8, just give it some more time in the cooler...but if you can keep your temp from spiking, it could very well take 10 hours.
    60's?? brrrrrr. hee.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com