Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crispy Wings on the Egg?

Zilm-disabled
Zilm-disabled Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am planning on cooking some wings for the game tomorrow. I know that one day this week I read a post about cooking wings on the grill and they were coated in a mixture of flour and corn meal. Call me a doubting Thomas but seeing as how I have never been able to produce chicken with crispy skin even after I have let it dry out overnight in the fridge. For the life of me I just cannot see how in the Sam Hill you can get a breaded mixture on the wings to be crispy.[p]Any thoughts and ideas as how to cook the wings would be much appreciated. I generally prefer my wings without breading but am willing to give this a try. How long should I cook and at what temp?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    e3a93265.jpg
    <p />Zilm,[p]It was chicken dusted in cornstarch. Here is picture of some thighs. Give it a try.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Zilm,
    you may be remembering that they were dusted (lightly) in cornSTARCH, and that was added last in addition to whatever otherwise typical spices one would use.[p]meaning basically, make them like you always did, but before putting them on, merely sprinkle them lightly with the cornstarch. do not dredge or coat them. don't think of it as a batter, or coating.[p]this is the 'secret ingredient' in that Oven-Fry chicken dried spice prep they sell in supermarkets.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    stike,[p]Crispy chicken: Some folks buy it and fry it, others shake it and bake it and Eggers dust it and trust it.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    thirdeye,
    >openly weeping<
    that's beeyootifful, man.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Zilm,
    I did some last night. I cut them into sections, sprinkled with rub, and let sit for 30 minutes. Then shook them in a bag with half flour and half cornstarch. Shook them off and sprayed them lightly with Pam, then cooked them on an elevated grid over the plate setter. 350 dome temp for 1-1/2 hours turning every 30 minutes. They were crispy and well done, the way I like them. -RP

• WVU-Egg
    WVU-Egg Posts: 101
    Ruffo,
    I did these once and they turned out great. About ready to do them again.

• Jake
    Jake Posts: 92
    Zilm,
    You must go to the DizzyPig recipe page and follow instructions. I've been eggen for just over a month and love help from everyone but DizzyPig's been great for help starting out and then you can tweak your own.[p]Jake

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Zilm,
    Hello,
    I can guarantee that if you follow my original recipe posted here for hot and crispy wings, you will get crispy wings.
    For a variation of it check out GFW's website and also Nature Boys site.
    It will produce a crispy wing, but the hotness is up to how much you want to put on it.
    I have not tried the straight corn starch method yet, but I hope to soon, :)
    later,
    ron.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    ChefRdWings.jpg
    <p />Hey Ron, you're chicken wings are my favorite way to do wings on the grill.... these truly are the shiznit!
    And I've found the 2 to 2 1/2 hour slow method at 275 degrees is the easiest way for me to get that crispy coating.[p]It works great on legs, too. Here's a shot Chubby took at Waldorf of a mess of legs I did using your recipe on drumsticks or "chicken bones" as the kid next door used to call them.[p]ChickenBone.jpg[p]Painted with a little Blues Hog sauce at the end, these went in minutes.
    Can't say enough about this recipe![p]John

[ul][li]Hot Wing Pictoral[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    WooDoggies,[p]The last time I saw a drumstick that nice was...was....Man, I've never seen one that nice.[p]Hey Zilm, looks like stike and I both shot from the hip in our posts about the cornstarch last night, you weren't mixed up afterall.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• WooDoggies
    thirdeye,[p]I agree... Chubby is King of the macro food shot![p]If you haven't tried Ron's recipe yet, give it a try. I don't think you'll be disapointed.
    Happy Super Bowl Sunday.[p]John

• Meinbmw
    Meinbmw Posts: 157
    WooDoggies .... so where can we find Ron's recipe?

• WooDoggies
    meinbmw,[p]Ron's original Hot Wings recipe is posted in the Poultry section under Recipes on the main page.
    Here's the URL address:
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/poultry/poultry0083.htm[p]Nature Boy does a walk through for the visually oriented in the link below. Give them a try.... the little bit of extra work is worth it.[p]John

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig does ChefRD[/ul]
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    WooDoggies,
    Thanks for the kind words Woo. Coming from you guys I feel very flattered!
    Glad you liked it,
    thanks mang,
    ron.