Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THE WIFE!!!!!!

Options
Hi,This is my first post and hopefully not the last.I have wanted an EGG for about 9 years since I had the BEST bone in rib steak I've ever tasted.Now I have a great opportunity to purchase a large from the store where I work at a huge discount.My wife is an accountant...I think you may know where I am going with this.Even at a great discount it is a big investment...How do  I justify this?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Lifetime cooker....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    It's a large initial investment, but it has a lifetime warranty. I have had my med for 3 years... id be looking for a new gasser by this time. Just saved $400.
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    Because you want it is justification enough. You will have so many happy hours and so many good meals because of the big green egg makes it worth it. I only wish I had bought the biggest one they make but I am happy with the large.
    San Angelo, texas
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You shouldn't have to justify the purchase. You know right from wrong and you know whether or not you can afford it. It doesn't take an accountant.

Here is what I'd say: 
    Oh honey, I would really like to buy a big green egg, I've wanted one for many years. It's something I will enjoy cooking on and our family and friends will enjoy the bbq and food we serve when we get-together. 
    This is important to me. 
    I love you with all my heart! Thanks for understanding.

Anyone can twist numbers and figures around in their favor. Don't go that route.  Make sure you talk from your heart. Be passionate.

Buy your BGE

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome, might I start out with, you don't buy an egg and join this lifestyle to save money. I love to blow money on meat, egg stuff, quality lump, etc, etc. Start by sitting her down and show her pics from this forum around dinnertime, maybe that'll soften her up.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard. It is a big investment but it is the best one you will ever make.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • tdeater
    Options

Just do it and say it is for US. So WE can cook together...Blah,Blah, Blah.

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I will say this, the egg isn't a money saver for me. I have bought countless accessories and built a table for it. However I will say that we hardly ever eat out so that saves some calories.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Make the case for it not by your words but by your actions. I've been BBQing for years to where my wife knew it was a hobby of mine. It wasn't so out of the blue when I talked to her about upgrading to an Egg, she was the one that suggested we get the XL since we have big parties all the time. If you grill or BBQ once in a while it's hard to justify a piece of equipment as pricey as the egg. I'd go the a big steel keg or a SAMs club metal egg.

I love my egg but I could throw down with the best of them with a $99 Home Depot box smoker since I know what I'm doing when it comes to low and slow cooks. In other words, make sure it's something you want to really get into and your not just looking for an expensive new toy.
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    My only regret when I bought my medium was that I didn't spend the extra $200 and get the large.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Since I bought my egg, I have been doing more of the cooking and meal planning.  That gives my wife more time for things she wants to do.  You have to enjoy cooking to make this work.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Pays for itself plain and simple
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @Shiff said: "You have to enjoy cooking to make this work."

So true. Couldn't agree more. 

When you enjoy doing something, do your best. The bge makes it eaisier to do better.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You want it. You already said the best steak you ever had came off of an egg. You aren't going to live forever. Unless you buy yourself stuff all the time I would get it. 

We never eat out. Well almost never. Probably no more than a dozen times a year if that. I bought myself a large egg for Christmas two years ago. This summer I bought another one. You won't miss the money, and the joy it will bring you, and the bean counter, will be great. 

Get it while you still can and post pics of your cooks. 

P.S. I am also a bean counter so I can say that! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    When I bought my first BGE my wife was bullsjit over what I spent. 3 years later she she's how much I love it, she loves the food I cook on it and she loves the fact that she doesn't have to cook! The other day I spatchcocked 2 chickens and said if all I could do was do this once a week it would be worth it and she agreed! Tell her if in a year she wants you to sell it you will. Not likely! A year later I got the green light for #2! Good luck!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome aboard. My wasn't to happy about the price, but my almost 20 year old gasser was on its last legs and I was either going to get a really good new one or a BGE. I have wanted one for 20 year's and she said after I said I would use my work bonus to pay for it. Now she has eaten on it for 10 months she likes it. Oh, by the way, I do most of the cooking now. I have been recovering fromy second hip replacement and we have been eating take out except for one meal she cooked and the chili I cooked in the crock pot last Sunday. Good luck. It will change your life.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    For me, it was the necessity of buying a new grill.  My old gasser had finally died and when we made the last move, the gasser went to the scrap yard.  My justification... because of the lifetime warranty, it **may** be the last grill I will ever need to purchase.  So I got the XL and have added the pizza stone and platesetter and the CI grate.  We do quite a few meals on it because we have been spoiled as we can get a better product from my egg, than most restaurants.  Ribs, Steaks, Pork Chops, burgers and PIZZA!!  Then there are the low/slow menu items. Brisket, Pulled Pork. We went to a new BBQ joint the other night. Their brisket was pretty good, but the PP was overdone to the point of mushy.  I told the owner that I think mine was better when he asked how was dinner... :) 
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    I wanted one for years, so last week I just happened to stop by my local dealer to show the wife. She said if I wanted it to get it. Now she says it's the best food she has ever ate off the grill.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

This is a training issue; it's just unclear who is getting trained...

Santa Paula, CA
  • travisstrick
    Options
    My wife is an accountant and likes brisket and ribs. I have two eggs.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Shiff  Posts: 1,194
    Since I bought my egg, I have been doing more of the cooking and meal planning.  That gives my wife more time for things she wants to do.  You have to enjoy cooking to make this work.

This ^^^^^^^^

In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Same story here, debated for year before I finally bought my large. My wife was getting tired of hearing me talk about it. After the first few cooks she loved what I was cookin on it, even to the point of her saying that she was WRONG. Words that I never heard come from her mouth in our 16 years of marriage.
    Stop debating it like I did, go ahead and buy it and enjoy!
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    I don't have much to add, I talked about it twice and my wife bought it for me for Christmas last year.  We both love it.  You know your wife better than any of us so you need to come up with the tactic you need to get a BGE home.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Like said above, lifetime of cooking pleasure with the warranty. Also the company tag line "ultimate cooking experience" is apropos. If you live in a colder climate you will suffer no appreciable reduction in performance due to the ceramic thermo qualities. The versatility is unmatched not only in the cooking world, but I am hard pressed to think of another product that performs so many tasks so well. Roast, bake, smoke, grill, it does it all and does it extremely well. My father has been in the retail business for nearly 60 years and has told me he has never sold another product that produced such overwhelmingly positive customer satisfaction, ever. Do yourself and your whole family a favor and buy as much of an egg as you will need and can afford. You won't be sorry. Good luck!
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    JethroVA said:

Don't try to cost justify it to an accountant. Instead just buy it and start cooking for her. When my wife squeaks about how much I spend on cooking, I reply with, "sweetie, just say the word and I'll stop cooking". That shuts her up for a month or so. Rinse, repeat.

Best response thus far.....
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My wife is a capacity planner analyst. We have 2 eggs. She loves the food and knows that this is something I really enjoy doing. Cheaper than therapy. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL