Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Taken for granted?

Options
Merry Christmas to all!!

You know... I may be going off on a tangent, but I'm guilty. After my
original post about "what do you want for Xmas", I've had a few things happen in my life that have changed the way I (and MANY others) envision life.

Most of us take the time we share with our families for granted, complain about the small things, and don't appreciate everything we have.

Two weeks ago a long time friend (my age-30) posted on facebook that his mother had encountered an Pulminary Embolism. Her brain was without oxygen for a short, but relatively long period of time. She has been in a comatose state since. The family has made the decision to enter hospice, and the outlook is not good.

Two days after this family experienced the beginning of their grief, I had another friend pass away from the same thing.

There are no prior symptoms to this. It's really scary when it hits this close to home.

These families didn't get the chance to have their last word. They're both praying and begging to get one more word or conversation.

My point in this is that I have taken for granted the time with my parents and family.

Don't take for granted the time we share with each other. Cherish it all.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Agreed Brian. Merry Christmas to you, your fiance and family. I hope you enjoy the true meaning of it all.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very wise words. Hard time of year to deal with such tragedy. Wishing you a happy new year.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Thanks Blake. We've been enjoying this time as humbly as possible. I hope that everyone is able to enjoy the holidays with their loved ones.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother fusion I wish yall the absolute very best my friend. Yall will be in my thoughts and prayers. Even under the unfortunate circumstances, I hope that yall can have a enjoyable holiday. Good luck and God bless.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fusionhq
    Options
    Thanks Scott. We appreciate all your thoughts. Our thoughts are all positive.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Well said, sorry to hear about your friends. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.
    canuckland
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Agreed. I unexpectedly lost one of my best friends a week ago. He was 61 but it was still wayyyyyy to early. Cherish your time with family and friends. You never know when the last time you will see someone will be.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Nice words. Wishing you all the best.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

My father had developed Mesothelioma almost 8 years ago ( he has since passed away 7 years ago). I was always on him to do his exercises. to keep his strength  up. We had an argument where I told him he has given up and I left. I was calling each and every day and visiting every second day up to that point. I didn't call the next day but my wife insisted that we go over for our regular visit at home. I got there and he was lying in bed quite tired, and we had our talk. I apologized to him for what I said and we had a good talk about how he was acting and it cleared a lot of the air. ( my mom was waiting on him hand and foot. I thought he was taking her a bit for granted through some odd comments about his prepared meals etc. 2 days later he left us.

I can tell you this, it will sound cliché, but I sincerely loved him so dearly, he made me the man I am today with valuable life lessons and his motivation, and general outlook on life. If we had not had that conversation to clear the air I personally don't think I would be here today knowing how things would have been left between us. I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I know, I know,  a little too deep for Christmas morning. this is to amend the OP point. Cherish the time you have and never leave issues unresolved.

• revolver1
    Options
    Amen.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • fusionhq
    Options
    @hondabbq‌ well said. Merry Christmas!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Love 'em ALL - ALL the time! 

Sorry to hear about the difficult time @fushionhq. I wish you all a very blessed holiday with those close to you. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!