Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Rib Roast

Options
Hi eggers!! I've had my egg for 1 year and have loved every cook!!  I am very ambitious and cooking a standing rib roast tomorrow for Christmas dinner.  What have y'all done that works well?? Direct or Indirect? Early sear of reverse sear? I'm a medium rare with some crunch from a good sear person.  I plan on having a beef broth in a skillet inside for anyone to cook their meat a little more…

Merry Christmas!!
LBGE Who-DAT living in Austin

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. ..I'll let you know in an hour. Just went indirect out of necessity.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Joysie_ATX
    Options
    good luck!
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I generally use a salt and pepper rub along with some garlic powder. I cook indirect at around 250 until about 120 internal.  Then do a reverse sear until done.  Pretty straight forward and it always comes out great.

There have been numerous posts about rib roasts lately, so just look around for suggestions.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Joysie_ATX
    Options
    I have an 8# bone in…would like to keep the bones in because it's cool presentation...
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Hey @Joysie_ATX, whereabouts in ATX are you located?  Welcome aboard!!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    I have two 16 lb rib roast for tomorrow morning.  Going indirect 350 then reverse sear. Will wrap tight FTC and hold if need be.  Using Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks with added garlic.  I still get rave reviews from the last time I did this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options

Good luck on the cook.

I like doing the sear at the end.  I know there's more of a risk of overshooting the desired temp if you do that, but I like my rib roast to be medium well on the edges and medium in the center.

Hmmm....beef broth in a skillet.....I might have to try that one.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the low and slow 225f until you get 5 degrees from target temp, pull and rest to redistribute juice, remove plate setter, bring the egg to 500 and direct sear the ends. (allow 4 hours, total)

This always results in a uniform color of the center steaks, 100% of those steaks are at target temp and color, and the end steaks have a bark on one side, and when cut into, have a 1/4 inch of well done with a gradual fade to rare. (or whatever your target was), I aim to make the cap the same color as the center.

This way, for my wife who wants hers more done, I can slice off an end bone for her, put the "rare side" back on that 500f egg, put some diamond grill marks on that side, and deliver her a nice tight medium prime rib with a seasoned bark of well done on one side.

Rub: Kosher salt, black pepper, rosemary, thyme. (Salt the raw roast 4 hours before cooking, wrap tight in saran wrap, refrigerate for 3 hours and bring to room temp for an hour. This will draw the salt a few mils into the meat and really helps create that bark)

Merry Christmas Everyone

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Joysie_ATX
    Options
    @EggObsessed--South Austin…S1st/Stassney area
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Having the broth going in a second pan is a great idea. Never thought about that.
    Dave - Austin, TX