Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest Quality Brisket?

bdavidson
bdavidson Posts: 411
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought 6 racks of baby backs for consumption tomorrow evening and a 6.5 lb brisket for Sunday evening.
When should I start the brisket if I want to eat at 5:00 PM on Sunday? I plan to start marinating it tonight, but as this is only the second brisket attempt for me, I'm still not clear on the cooking times or temps. My first brisket was, well, dry. I made sure that this one had a healthy (or, depending on how you look at it, unhealthy) fat cap, and I want to make sure I achieve Eggfest-quality results!
Please advise.
bd

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    bdavidson,[p]I cook my briskets at about 200 to 225 MAX. Generally in the 200 or lower range. I usually go about 3 hours a pound. Others do them a bit faster but most dont go over 225 to 250. I do mine indirect over a drip pan, sometimes full of liquid, some not. Not sure if it makes a marked difference in the flavor or not. At 6.5 pounds, plan on about at least 12 hours, maybe more like 15-17 hours at about 225-250. That puts the meat on the grill EARLY Sunday AM or late Saturday evening then plan on keeping it wrapped in a foil and towel wrap in a cooler until the guests arrive. Hope this helps. Briskets are pretty hard to screw up, cook them low and slow, fat cap up, and you'll have some pretty good eats. Each one is different. If you can stick a fork in it and turn it, its done. Go for an internal temp of about 185-195. It will plateau at 155-165 for seemingly hours, this is normal. Patience is the key. (and a six pack of good brew helps too) Good luck.[p]Troy
  • sprinter,
    Thanks for the help. I was reviewing the new recipe submissions and found NB's submission on his Eggfest Brisket that nearly mirrors your recommendations. I'll give it a try!

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    bdavidson,[p]I do briskets at about 250 dome over a drip pan; I've been putting water in it but won't bother in the future. [p]At that temp they take 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound. As Sprinter said, when you can twist a fork in the meat it's done. Brisket stays hot for hours when foil-wrapped & stashed in a cooler with warm towels, so leave yourself a buffer of several hours. Every piece of meat has its own personality and timetable.[p]Cathy
  • Cat,
    Thanks Cat. I figure I'll put the brisket in the egg at bedtime on Saturday night and utilize the cooler method until it's time to eat. We're hosting a small army on Sunday evening and plan to serve some brisket sandwiches.
    bd

• bdavidson, Iv'e been munching on Gfw's jerky all day and watching my brisket cook. The best advice I got was to wrap the brisket in foil for the last 6-8 hours of cooking. Put mine on at 8 last night getting ready to take off. Brisket really are better the second day.[p]CWM
  • bdavidson, I never did answer your question. I cook mine indirect at 275 for at least 15 hours. This brisket I just pulled off weighed 10.5 lbs. It almost broke in half when I pulled it off it was so tender. [p]CWM
  • Car Wash Mike,
    I'll let you know how it is, CWM.
    bd