Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wifes Smoked Pecans

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
After what seemed like 48 straight hours of shopping which was probably only 4 hours I noticed my wife cooking on the egg when pulling into the driveway. She's an egghead. I asked her what she was cooking. She said, ”smoking pecans for the doctors I work with”. Cool. She can make some killer glazed pecans. After about a half hour on the egg my wife went to grab the pecans. She gave me a test sample. It was super smokey. I asked her what she used for smoke? She said that she used a couple chunks of wood. Turns out it was my oak chunks. It was edible but the glaze lost most of it's flavor with the heavy smoke from the oak. I told her not to worry. I woke up this morning and took a trip to the grocery store to pick up some pecans. Damn they are expensive! My wife picked up two pounds of pecans for $12 at Sams Club. My local grocery store at 6am thought they should cost $25!. Ouch. Oh well. I didn't want my wife to feel bad about the smoke mishap so I thought I'd grab a coffee for her at the local coffee shop. I feel like a total idiot when trying to order coffee. I'm not a coffee drinker so most of the words on the order board are foreign. So I went with a turtle mocha. ”Sir do you want white chocolate?” Ummm ok? I guess so. So I pull up to the drive-thru window trying to remember what I just ordered. They could have gave me straight black and I would have said that's exactly it. As the barista (I think that's what the employees are called. Maybe it's just the girls?) hands me the coffee and says, ”the car in front of you paid for your coffee”. What? Seriously? That's awesome! How cool is that someone would do that for a complete stranger! So I told the barista that I would get the car behind me. I had a fun time getting coffee besides the whole ordering part! When I get home my wife makes the glaze and pours it on the pecans. I told her not to worry about getting the pecans on the egg before leaving for work. I didn't have to work until 10am so I said that I'll throw them on the egg and bring them to work for her. So a couple small handfuls of apple chips and a half hour later they were done! Took a quick pic but don't deserve any credit for how great they turned out! I only heated the pecans up. I Just received a text from my wife saying they were a huge hit! I'm glad it all worked out!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I would love to have the glaze recipe for those. Also, what dome temp did you go with? Some guys at work asked me last week if I had smoked any pecans yet.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• yeah same here, if you don't mind passing the glaze recipe.  and what you did to smoke them? temp... indirect/direct...etc

they look great!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    ^^^ motion for the glaze recipe ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    :-\"
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    You are one sweet guy!
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • So where is the recipe? :((

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Great story - did she like the coffee? Also the pay it forward thing is really great. My wife had this happen at a Taco John's one time and thought cool, I'll get the car behind me as well....... not realizing it was a truck of construction workers............. her $5 burrito turned into much much much more but hey it's always nice!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited December 2014
    Village Idiots ingredients for Pecan Recipe: (For 1lb. Pecans)

1/2 C. Sugar
    1 1/2 tsp. Chili Powder
    1 1/2 tsp. Salt
    1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
    1 Egg white
    2 C. Pecans Halves
    Pinch Cayenne

Heat egg to 300 indirect. Mix spices together in a bowl. In a separate larger bowl beat egg white and add pecans. Mix together until pecans are well coated. Once coated slowly add in the rest of the spices coating the pecans evenly. Once everything is mixed together you can dump the pecans on a well greased pizza pan. Spread out pecans evenly on pizza pan. (Make sure the pizza pan doesn't sit directly on the plate setter. You want a air gap so the bottom doesn't burn) Start checking doneness after 20 minutes or so.

My wifes adjustments from recipe:

1/2 tsp. Salt
    1 tsp. Cinnamon
    1 tsp. Cayenne
    Coating of Dizzy Pig - Pineapple Head once spread out on pizza pan (A must in my opinion)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    The pay it forward thing has been going on at Starbucks for a few year's now. I've had it happen to me a few times and so has my wife. They set a record one time it happening all over the country for like 8 hours. The pecans sound yummy and I may try it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited December 2014
    We just smoked some almonds here at the shop about a week ago, we used hickory pellets in a cold smoking device (Amazen) in the Egg.  We waited 4/5 days and oh they were way too smokey.  I came close to pitching them in the trash.  Instead the wife simply added olive oil and reseasoned with Dizzy Pig Tsunami spin with a touch of Cayenne, went into oven at 350 for an hour and finished with a dusting of kosher salt....wow some tasty treets after all that.  Nice save.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Thanks for the share @WeberWho?‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL