Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have you ever went low and slow with turkey?

I was just flipping through "Charcuterie".  For those of you who don't already own this book, do yourself a big favour and pick it up.  It'll open an entire new culinary world for you.  Anyway, I was checking out the brine for my Christmas turkey, and as I read on, he mentions in it to hot smoke a turkey at 200F.  I've never cooked poultry that low before, and can't see how such a lean meat would benefit from low and slow.  Have any of you tried this? If so, how have the results been?

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to everyone.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've been told if you go that low the chicken is mushy. I wouldn't go below 250. I like 275-300. I guess you could start off at 200 or so to start, but increase temp to get the skin crispy. IMHO
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    If it takes more than 1 1/4 hours I'm out on 13 lb bird.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I tend to agree with you Mickey.  I've smoked turkeys before, and have always done a basic indirect roast with a touch of smoke.  I find poultry takes smoke quite well, so well in fact, it can be easily over smoked.  Was just wondering if anyone had tried it.  Thinking I'll stick with my regular routine.  But always looking to learn new things.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    I gave away my copies of Charcuterie as gifts to good friends who I knew would read it.  But if I recall correctly.  That brine has pink salt in it?  

I think I have tried it before and it tends to make a slightly different product than non "cured" turkey which I would consider it vs just a "brined" turkey.  I think it takes better to smoke and thus low and slow. If no smoke I would say no problemo going low and slow.

Others may disagree with the above but those are my thoughts and unfortunately can not consult the book right now.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    my experience trying a low & slow on turkey thighs is rubbery skin.

I think the last time I cured turkey thighs, I smoked at 350.

I could see doing a low & slow on cured turkey thighs, then removing the skin and crisping it up by itself in a toaster oven to enjoy like pork rines.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @Greeno55‌
    I have ran chicken and turkeys as low as 225 degrees. That's about as low as I ever remember running poultry. More often than not, when foul is ran this low it is for pulled poultry. Not always, but most of the time. In my experience it is the skin that is mushy, not the meat. This is not a concern when making several pounds of pulled meat as the skin is simply discarded. The meat from poultry cooked low and slow is phenomenal without question or doubt but the skin is lacking. If you ever want to try some excellent pulled poultry, give the old low and slow a go, you won't be disappointed. I would like to add that I prefer poultry cooked at much higher temps unless I'm making pulled poultry. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Greeno55
    @rtt121 - In his basic brine with herbs, he doesn't include pink salt.  It's just kosher.  I've seen some with pink salt, but am not sure about cured poultry.

@SGH - You and @Zmokin have confirmed what I thought about the skin.  Not too much of a worry for me as I usually don't serve turkey with the skin.  But I am very interested in pulled poultry.  If you do it with an average sized roaster, about how long does it take? And do you take it up pulled pork, brisket temps? Or is 160ish sufficient?
  • SGH
    @Greeno55‌- That depends on a lot. Examples- Size of the poultry, is it whole or parted out, cooking temp, cooking method (direct or indirect) etc etc..... For pulled poultry, especially if you are discarding the skin, how and what temp you use are some what irrelevant. You basically cook it until normal done temps. 155-160 in the white meat and 175-180 in the dark meat. Then you shred it. No need to take it any higher as it will shred quite easily while warm. Cooking any more than this is unnecessary and produces a drier end product. When making pulled poultry I do prefer the lower cooking temps. Why? The meat has a slightly different texture than when cooked at high temps in my opinion. Just a note but not of any real significance, I usually use whole intact birds for pulled poultry. But you certainly can use parts or spatchcocked if you so chose. Again this is just what has produced good results for me.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I've done that bird a few times, it's great. Smoked turkey is a different...uh... Bird than regular hot smoked turkey. My neighbor did it for thanksgiving and I walked him through that.. It was killer. The meat is pink and the skin turns very dark. Think "state fair" or "medieval fair" turkey legs.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    The meat is pink and the skin turns very dark. 
    Brother Tex brings up a excellent point here. With the application of a very heavy smoke, the meat around the bone will be pink and appear to be under cooked. However it is not. If you are shredding it then the squeamish or faint of heart will not notice this pink hue or under tone if you will. When the thermopen says it's done, then it's done. Do not let this pink color bother you. It's the nature of the beast when smoking heavily. Especially with poultry.  

Status- Standing by.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    ive probably done a hundred or so low and slow turkeys, at 200 your going to cook that bird all day from sunup to sundown and your going to have to raise the dome temps at the end of the cook. ive setup propane water smokers that way before sunup and gone fishing til 9 at night and still had to raise temps. 250 to 275 is better in the egg. this wont have the texture of a roasted bird but it does make great sandwiches either as a turkey salad or like this cook. i prefer a roasted bird for the holidays and low and slow for spring and summer where im not going to be watching it cook

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142418/low-and-slow-turkey
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142418/low-and-slow-turkey
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Greeno55
    WOW! @fishlessman that looks incredible.  I will definitely look at that for a future cook.  What the rough time per pound, and to what temp do you go to?  Very well done!  Christmas bird is on now at 325.  Figured today is not the day to experiment when I was specifically asked to bring what I brought to mom's last year.  Thanks for this though.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    I did this last night, best turkey I've cooked yet, bar none. No egg involved though. Posting/photo to follow.
    canuckland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Love slow smoked chicken.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN