Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Brisket Help

Will be #13 trimmed.  I plan to cook like any other brisket but I know this may probe like buttah early... 180ish.

Plan is to throw on at 6pm tomorrow and pull off between 10am and 1pm.    Or will it cook quicker than other briskets?

Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Can't give a guess without a planned cooking temp.  

Yes, SRF will cook faster than lower briskets.  Yes, alot of SRF are done in the 180s.  Cook it like any other brisket and you'll do just fine.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Thanks for reply @cazzy, planning on 250 dome

If done a little early maybe I wait until 10pm.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Mine was done 2 hours quicker than expected.  Start checking early.  You're gonna be sooooo pleased at that piece of meat.  ENJOY!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • rtt121
    Thanks @GATraveller
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    edited December 2014
    Go at it at 225, and you should be safe. I was told that at 225* a 14lbs would take 12-14 hours.
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • cazzy
    edited December 2014
    rtt121 said:
    Thanks for reply @cazzy, planning on 250 dome

If done a little early maybe I wait until 10pm.
    The real question is what time do you want to eat? 

250 is a good temp as it will put you at around 225 grid.  I usually only budget 14 hours (12 hours cook time, 1 hour emergency cook time, and 1 hour for resting) for all my briskets regardless of their weight, but that's how I roll.  At 250, I think you'll end up pulling it off between 12-1pm if you throw it on at 10pm.  6pm just means you have more chances for stuff to get screwy.

Here's the thing, I've seen people put a brisket on right before bed at 225 dome and they wake up to an overcooked brisket.  However, at 225 dome, more often than not, your briskets will struggle hard with the stall.  
  • rtt121
    I have no problems with up to 4 hours FTC.  Dinner probably around 6.

I had thoughts I might want to start a little bit later.  Cazzy you are convincing me I should wait until maybe midnight.
  • I agree. Mine have all cooked much quicker than expected. They were all done around 185.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    I agree. Mine have all cooked much quicker than expected. They were all done around 185.
    This supports my general findings with Wagyu as well.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rtt121
    Thanks. All the heavy brisket hitters make it easy decision to hold off till later.

• cazzy
    edited December 2014
    rtt121 said:

I have no problems with up to 4 hours FTC.  Dinner probably around 6.

I had thoughts I might want to start a little bit later.  Cazzy you are convincing me I should wait until maybe midnight.
    For 6pm dinner time, I'd throw it on at midnight and sleep like a baby. No brainer!
  • cazzy
    rtt121 said:

Thanks. All the heavy brisket hitters make it easy decision to hold off till later.

Wagyu brings out the big guns...every time!
    B-)
  • rtt121
    Thanks gents.  Merry Christmas.
  • Rtt121....I am doing the same as you are!! Going to follow this advice myself. Merry Christmas
    Brandon, MS
  • rtt121
    Merry to all.

@loveTheEgg  good luck!
  • rtt121
    9 hours in at 155.  Probing buttery all ready so I am sure I will pull this around 180.

On track for a 1pm ish FTC I think

• cazzy
    Looking good!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Comin right along I'd say! Gonna rock!!!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    I cook SRF brisket in competitions all the time.  I only use cooking time as a guideline. I am one of the "it's done when it probes like butter" people. That being said, I really can't tell any difference in the cooking time of SRF versus any other brand.  I can say that I have seen significant differences in cooking time among the SRF briskets. However, I have never had one that probed tender under 200 degrees.