Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ass, Gas or Lump..nobody rides for free...

Options

Has anyone noticed that once a select group gets a sampling of your Egg wares they immediately make the assumption you can and will cook for "their" special occasions? Well it's happenin here...lol..

I LOVE my egg and LOVE cooking on it however we also know that it's not free doing so with lump, wood nor your time....Mind you I'm not the Grinch nor Scrooge (although I played the ghosts of Christmas past, future and present in a 6th grade play A Christmas Carol) I don't mind helpin a Brutha out but when some asks you to do 3 butts and 3 full racks ribs I wonder if they understand whats involved......

I'm quite sure I'll get roped into doing a few of these but I will not allow it to become a second job.. Maybe I need to cook a spatch chicken and let er burn THEN have em taste a morsel...LOL

Got a story?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, I have a story. Friends of mine are in the process of adopting a special needs child from China. Let's just say that process isn't cheap. They asked me if I would mind doing pulled pork for a fund raiser. They covered the 120# of butt and requisite lump. I covered time, smoking wood, gas costs for transport, bags, ice, reheating, etc.

I jump at the chance to help someone out, unless they are becoming a leech. Thankfully I don't have leeches for friends.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options

I agree...I'll help out anyone deserving....and not that those whom asked are leeches but assume you wouldn't mind just whipping up a few things..oh they'll cover the cost of the meat...

They just LOVE the goodies it creates and don't realize the effort....when I tell em its a 12-14 hr job they are like really? LOL

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

I had a good friend request that I smoke a brisket for her birthday party.  After telling her that i'd be glad to, BUT she had to be aware of the fact that I'd never done one before, she was still gung-ho for her Brisket.

Her Husband split the cost of meat with me, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. 

Sounds like you have some presumptuous friends.... I tend to only associate with folks who I really care for, and therefore don't mind if somebody asks me for a cook.  If i felt somebody was taking advantage of me, I wouldn't cook for them, and i'd probably re-evaluate the friendship.

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I probably have lost money helping family and friends. Im very greatful for them. I probably should be down helping out the homeless or donating more often to a church. So when I do help someone out I feel that I've done something for the better. Not exactly life changing but nice to lend a hand. I know they would do the same for me when in a pinch.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    BRush00 said:

Sounds like you have some presumptuous friends.... I tend to only associate with folks who I really care for, and therefore don't mind if somebody asks me for a cook.  If i felt somebody was taking advantage of me, I wouldn't cook for them, and i'd probably re-evaluate the friendship.

That escalated quickly
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Give your buds my wing cook. Bet no one bothers you. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BRush00
    Options

That escalated quickly

Nah - not at all Big Al.  Just tryin to say that, for my friends - I won't hesitate to help out.  In my view, if it gets to be "work", they're not really good friends.  It sounded like AUCE was looking for stories where we were unhappy to cook for somebody, and I was illustrating that I don't have that problem, because those people don't exist in my life.

*Please note: due to the internets major failure in 'context', 'body language' and, 'tone of voice'; the above two posts contain 0% hostility/anger etc.* 

:))
  • matt121966
    Options
    I understand what AUCE is getting at.

Haven't had any bad experiences yet. Still enjoy cooking for people.

Cooking on the egg is just not work for me. I enjoy it. The agg has made me try new recipes and so far my family has enjoyed the dinner variety.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I like hosting and cooking for family and friends and don't worry about the $ too much.... I've actually had a few outings lately with newer friends who have been picking up tabs for multiple couples...friends.
    I need to be even more generous imo...lifes short.
    Seattle, WA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    During the year I almost always cook meals with a couple extra portions that go to a couple of older ladies who do not cook well for themselves.  They don't ask for it, and I enjoy doing it.  For certain holiday I do huge cooks, like the six butts I smoked yesterday, for the family get together and to give some away.  Saves wear and tear on the relatives, and frankly I like my cooking better.

Gave up about three days of Christmas vacation to cooking for others and don't mind at all.

I did get asked one time if I could be hired to cook wings for the wedding reception for a co-worker of The Spouse.  Told them I would be happy to do the cook for nothing, but they had to buy and drop off the wings, and conversely pick up the cooked ones.  Apparently that was too much. never heard back from them.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• AUCE
    Options
    I understand what AUCE is getting at.

Haven't had any bad experiences yet. Still enjoy cooking for people.

Cooking on the egg is just not work for me. I enjoy it. The agg has made me try new recipes and so far my family has enjoyed the dinner variety.

Nor have I and I enjoy it as well.....

.I think it a bit presumptuous others think my friends are presumtuous..Geez..yep escalated to a place I wasn't expecting.....

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    AUCE said:

....Mind you I'm not the Grinch nor Scrooge (although I played the ghosts of Christmas past, future and present in a 6th grade play A Christmas Carol) I don't mind helpin a Brutha out but when some asks you to do 3 butts and 3 full racks ribs I wonder if they understand whats involved......

^^^ He said with a Grinchy grin >:)
    Damn! Are you gonna steal the Who Pudding, Who Hash and Who Roast Beast :-S

Me personally I love cooking for a decent size group. Ya it's not "free" but, I get paid in smiles and the company of good friends and family. For me that's priceless. Now ante up :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • BRush00
    Options

Auce - apparently apologies are owed.... Reading your post, asking for 3 butts, and 3 racks of ribs, without understanding what's involved, sounds pretty presumptuous to me.  Your next comment (I'll get roped into...) seemed to add a negative connotation. 

Put the two together, and it sounded to me, as if you weren't happy about the request.

My bad - apparently i mis-read into things.  Merry Christmas

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Cool idea for a thread, I'm sure everyone has stories like this. I think the confusion comes from making it sound like a burden. My cooking is so good everyone tries to take advantage of me. Beware the #humblebrag.
  • AUCE
    edited December 2014
    Options

Well this tongue and cheek post has certainly touched a nerve..or two

• BRush00
    Options
    No exposed nerves here.  Other than the 'why am I still at work?' nerve of course.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    So here's a twist:  we went to a holiday gift swap party.  35 or so people there, all with wrapped gifts of up to $20.00, placed in a pile in the middle of the room.  When it's your turn, pick from the pile OR choose something that someone already opened.  If your open gift got grabbed, you could grab someone else's or go back to the pile of wrapped -- opened gifts can "move" only once a round. Typical holiday fun.

There were some great gifts that got opened and moved a ton (interesting beer, homemade limoncello, fancy hot chocolate with small bottles of baileys) and some real duds that got opened and stayed put.  My gift was a pack of uncooked St. Louis ribs, a jar of rub, and a note that said I'd cook 'em up on a mutually agreeable Sunday -- eat with me and Wifey or pick up and take home.  Of course I decorated the note with pix of the smoking egg and some previously finished product.  

I have to say I was thrilled at how many people "stole" those ribs throughout the night -- it was the hit of the party.  AND, at the end, a bunch of folks who picked it, only to lose it later, basically "invited" themselves over to my house for what we are turning into a January rib-fest.  I'm guessing I'll be looking for threads on how many racks I can get into my LBGE . . . .

Like most of you, I don't think of this as an imposition at all.  I'm psyched to cook for friends (and others) and I'm usually looking for any excuse to have a party.  I've said it before -- having the egg has been a game changer, and always for the better.  Looking forward to sharing the love in 2015!    
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

Maybe a little of this is in order.

• BRush00
    Options

Oh PLEASE tell me that 'who hash' screenshot is a real screenshot from the cartoon!

I could totally go for some Who Hash for christmas!

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Oh it is real alright. :-bd 
  • BRush00
    Options

oh that's too bloody funny - i've never noticed it before.

No wonder Whoville was always so colorful and..... stoned looking hahahaha :))

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Henderson, your post reminded me of something that happened this Thanksgiving.  My oldest daughter's office was having a pot luck lunch.  I did a whole hot smoked, brown sugar rubbed salmon fillet.  The Daughter arranged crackers, cream cheese, onions and  cucumber slices for the sides.  She picked banana leaves from our grove, cleaned them and prepared a very nice chilled salmon presentation.  If I say so myself, the fillet was a better than usual outcome.

She sets it all out, when one of her co-workers comes it, has a noisy fit, loudly declares she won't come in the room if there is fish in it and demands that it be removed.  WTF, I have never had anyone do anything but try to push others out of the way to get at the salmon.  I am not sure exactly what was done for the complainer, but the salmon remained; however it put such a damper on it that instead of it getting gobbled down, a lot came back. 

Even if you don't like salmon, you should just not partake.  This was unbelievable rudeness, never mind the time and expense for the cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• theyolksonyou
    Options

p; I did a whole hot smoked, brown sugar rubbed salmon fillet. 

That! I should have stopped there.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    AUCE said:

Well this tongue and cheek post has certainly touched a nerve..or two

Nope. Just bustin' balls.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Doc_Eggerton - no accounting for the rudeness of some - When encountering someone who complained loudly about the food offered by others my dear old Dad used to always tell them "Speaking of undesirable food, I wish your parents had eaten you while your bones were still soft". 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

It really depends on the context, to determine if this was an imposition or not. Some of my friends are closer than others. The closest ones (and family) I would be happy to cook anything they wanted for an event. I have cooked for many work events in the past couple of years too.

But yeah, if its a large amount of meat, involving a good deal of effort, then I would probably want them to go buy the meat and drop it off, and pick up the cooked goods when I was done, like @Doc_Eggerton mentioned. I have 500+lbs of lump in the garage, so I've got that covered.

And it did sound like a bit of a "gripe" in the first post. Indeed, it is difficult to convey tone, etc on the interwebs, so misunderstandings are not uncommon.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Some people are either cheap or oblivious. I love cooking for people in need or for a firehouse but people who request it don't understand the time and effort on some cooks. I used to just have them pay for the meat but for those "hey, can you cook 4 gal of chili for my party"...I charge. Hell, caterers do....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I wish I had more excuses to buy a larger smoker.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Henderson, your post reminded me of something that happened this Thanksgiving.  My oldest daughter's office was having a pot luck lunch.  I did a whole hot smoked, brown sugar rubbed salmon fillet.  The Daughter arranged crackers, cream cheese, onions and  cucumber slices for the sides.  She picked banana leaves from our grove, cleaned them and prepared a very nice chilled salmon presentation.  If I say so myself, the fillet was a better than usual outcome.

She sets it all out, when one of her co-workers comes it, has a noisy fit, loudly declares she won't come in the room if there is fish in it and demands that it be removed.  WTF, I have never had anyone do anything but try to push others out of the way to get at the salmon.  I am not sure exactly what was done for the complainer, but the salmon remained; however it put such a damper on it that instead of it getting gobbled down, a lot came back. 

Even if you don't like salmon, you should just not partake.  This was unbelievable rudeness, never mind the time and expense for the cook.
    I know some people can't stand the smell of fish, so I completely understand her objection to it.

However, that is no excuse for her total rudeness.  If she were a proper person, she would realize that someone brought fish, and then she should have kindly requested one of her co-workers fill up a plate for her and to not put any fish on her plate, and then quietly retreat to her office or to another conference room to enjoy her meal while not making a scene embarrassing others and insulting the provider of the fish.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    Options
    One of the most important adult life skills to learn early on is the ability to say, " No, I can't do that.".....in a completely impersonal fashion........and then move on with no more discussion......there will be no more requests of that type.....if the person is a real friend, there will be no damage to the relationship either.....
    Berlin, Maryland