Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey

Approximately how long will it take a 15lb turkey to cook indirect at 375-400? Thanks guys!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I would think around 3 hours.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I did an indirect spatchcocked 15# bird on Thanksgiving in just a little over 2 hours at about 350

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I figure around 12 mins/lb indirect at 350-400*F so the above 3 hour estimate from @tarheelmatt is right there.  This is for a non-spatched and unstuffed bird.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Last Sunday, I did a 14lb in just under 2.5 hrs, raised direct @ 350.  It was spatchcocked and brined.  

The bird fed the extended family and I made a nice broth out of the carcass and bones.  First attempt on the egg and prob the best I ever did (in a previous life, I used to use the gasser).  

Of course, I've got no pix, so it didn't happen.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    we did a 14lb bird spatchcocked indirect in 2 hours at 375 for thanksgiving...great finished product....don't forget to ice the breasts...

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Would direct vs indirect change cooking time?

• corey24 said:
    Would direct vs indirect change cooking time?
    I would think cook time is a function of temp, not direct vs, indirect.  I went raised direct bc that's how I do chickens and a 14 lb turkey is a big chicken and I wanted to get the same kind of moisture, skin crisp and flavor.  While I brined the turkey (which I never do for chx), I got awesome, crisp skin and a good smoke ring.  So I was pleased.  I expect the brining added some time to the cook, taking it from likely 2 to 2.5 hrs.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • corey24
    Now you guys have be debating raised direct spatchcock.  That's how I cook chickens.  I honestly just thought that the skin would burn with the longer cook time.  Chicken gets just right in 1 hour but this is 2-3 times that long.  So the skin is ok for 2 1/2 hours for direct heat on turkeys?

• corey24 said:
    Now you guys have be debating raised direct spatchcock.  That's how I cook chickens.  I honestly just thought that the skin would burn with the longer cook time.  Chicken gets just right in 1 hour but this is 2-3 times that long.  So the skin is ok for 2 1/2 hours for direct heat on turkeys?
    Mine came out great -- don't have pix bc I had a house full of extended family and I was jamming to get it done.  (And I had been a bit overserved the night before, so my head was a bit foggy, but that's another story.)  

Went on the grate at 8:45 am, people arrived at 11, I pulled it off about 11:15 @ an IT of 165 in the thigh. It rested for 45 minutes and I carved at noon.  Juiciest bird I ever had.  Skin was crisp and not burnt at all. It cooked up high on my homebrewed raised grid and I had what was supposed to be a drip pan on the lower grate to catch the juice and prevent any foul smell (pun!), but I filled it 1/2 way with cider, rub and a sliced onion.  I don't think it added flavor, but I didn't want the pan to burn up.  (Pan was raised a bit above the lower grate sitting on copper plumber's elbow joints but even with the cider and drippings, it cooked way down.) 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • +1 on spatchcock. It's quick, good and fun to say.
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168

Spatchcocked a 12 lb for Thanksgiving, 375 indirect, perfect in 2 hours. Ditto what theyolksonyou posted!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• corey24
    How do you 'ice the breast'?

• Exactly like it sounds. Put ice packs on the breast for at least 20 min to try to get the differential between finished temps vs the thigh
  • corey24
    Just before cooking?

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Yes; right before you put it on.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• corey24
    And you take off just before putting on grill? How long you leave them on before?

• Yes. Take them off just before. Leave them on at least 20 min. You're shooting for final temp 165 breast 185 thigh. That's after rest so I'd pull between155-160 breast