Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Too smokey ribs

How much wood chunks for spare ribs? I used hickory and apple seemed too smokey I did use a fair amount of each. They also seemed fatty should I have trimmed before smoking? I think baby back ribs are a little leener. Please advise How do people like the jalapeño poppers (cream cheese rapped with bacon)?

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited December 2014
    Never done spares but I see most people trimming them. For baby backs I will add 2 fist size of cherry and a smaller chunk of Apple. Jalapeno poppers are great. I like to add cilantro and some rub to the cream cheese.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I want to do appetizer this Xmas before cooking a rib roast
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    It's a all around good app. Might suggest you make a few as a trial just to see if you and your family would like them. I like them but my wife not so much.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Most guest are spicey food eaters. I like the excuse to try before Xmas. Thanks
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Hickory is pretty strong, that may be your smokiness problem. I use only apple, normally 4 chunks. I will trim any big amounts of fat and remove the skin/film on the back side of the slab. The rest of the fat cooks off. On some slabs, the thick end has a layer of fat in the middle. Sometimes that does not cook all way out. When I grilled ribs, rather than low and slow, I use to surgery that layer out.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Do bacon wrapped onion rings.. You can spice them up with rub and siracha, wrap in bacon and smoke them on the grill for 30-40 minutes. Damn good, won't last long. As for spares, I like them, but not as much as loin( baby back) ribs. Spares are a bit fatty. I like to smoke my ribs with cherry, or apple, coupled with some post oak, or even sugar maple. Did some tonight with post oak and apple.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I use a mix of cream cheese/goat cheese/cheddar in ABTs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Use a little less wood, and also make sure that the egg has had time to stabilize before putting on the meat.  Heavy white smoke won't taste good.  Hold your hand over the top of the egg and smell your hand...if it smells good then it is ready.  If it smells like a camp fire then wait. 

Spares are fattier.  If I am doing spares I like to cut them st louis style or purchase them pre-cut.  If there are big hunks of obvious fat I trim it off.  I also lay them flat and try to trim them where they are an even thickness.  Even with all that...they are still fattier than loin/baby back ribs so you still might find some fatty ribs...at which point you just eat around it ;)

You can really put anything in an ABT.  I have used pulled pork, sausage, taco seasoned meat, etc.  Most often I use Jimmy Dean maple sauasage.  Brown it, mix it in a bowl with cream cheese and shredded chesese, spread it in a pepper and wrap in bacon.  I like the sweet and heat combination from the sausage and pepper. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    On my medium egg,  I add about a 1 inch cube of hickory and another of apple, put on the woo with the pizza stone as a deflector,  use a drip pan made from aluminum foil, and then add the ribs.   On the KJ Classic, which is the size of the large egg, I use a chunk of hickory that is about 2 cubic inches and the same size of apple.  I like smoke, but any more than these amounts is too smokey for me.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited December 2014
    bboulier said:
     I like smoke, but any more than these amounts is too smokey for me.
    Same here. If I were to error, I would choose less smoking wood. Adding the smoke flavor, is not much different than adding something like salt; its almost impossible to take away once the item is cooked.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    What lump are you using? Some are pretty strong and do not need added wood.
    Jacksonville FL
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Less wood is better and hickory can be a bit strong.  Definitely trim any excess fat from the ribs.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• I use RO charcoal. I used way too much wood. I also did not trim the spare ribs. Fat absorbs smoke?
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    You can actually use several chunks of wood….but @SmokeyPitt nailed it. Give it time to burn cleanly. When the smoke smells really good (and it will given time) then it's time to put the meat on. Clean smoke toya!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited December 2014
    You can actually use several chunks of wood….but @SmokeyPitt nailed it. Give it time to burn cleanly. When the smoke smells really good (and it will given time) then it's time to put the meat on. Clean smoke toya!
    Chris
    Chris,
    Merry Christmas, buddy! I just wanted you to know that as you requested in your recent mailing I gave all 5 of the sample packages of rubs to a new egger in nearby Washington, IL - but I kept the "fob" and attached it to my Lawn Ranger grid lifter! I know from the feed back that you have a new customer - but since he is buying your rubs from his dealer (Lindy's there in Washington, IL) you won't see his name on your customer list. It's just like me..I buy your Dizzy Pig products from my dealer Hearth & Patio in Peoria, IL  - therefore supporting BOTH of you, but you don't even know it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I find hickory strong so I don't use much. I much perfer oak, it also could be your charcoal. Maybe using RO? If your in Canada there is a awesome maple sugar charcoal lowes.