Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware gasket?

Options
I just received my new Smokeware cap and the instructions say to put the felt on the BGE not inside the cap. Which way is the best way to install the gasket?

Thanks!
Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I've always seen gaskets on the dome chimney, never on the cap... don't know why, probably because the cap gets replaced more often than the dome, right?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Eggbertsdad
    Options
    So on the dome, right? Don't know why I thought people put them in the cap. Does it go on the side or top of the dome?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    What came first, the chicken or the egg?  You are going to hear it from both sides, so let me put in my 2cents...

I ratehr have the gasket on the DOME, I try to keep the SmokeWare cap clean.  So that means that after 3-5 cooks, I put it in the sink and scrup the gunk off of it.  I don't want the gasket to be soaking that crap all in it.

My second point is this, I use the SW cap for cooking, but use the Ceramic Cap for shut-downs and in between uses. If the gasket is on the SW, I would then have to install a second gasket on the Ceramic Cap...

I've had the original BGE gasket on the egg since day one (over a year), it still seals things TIGHT. 

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have the gasket on the inside of the metal cap so I can switch between my large and medium.  Works great.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'll say I had the OEM gasket on the egg and SW was loose. Scraped that off and put the SW gasket on the cap and fit was tighter, but I've never had the SW gasket on the egg. If the gasket can stand the heat, surely it can handle some water.

in the end, do what makes you happy, probably doesn't make much difference.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm going to use this to snuff out the fire as well as my ceramic lid was broken and even though I glued it back together it doesn't seal well. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm an advocate of putting it on the inside of my SmokeWare cap. That way when I do a burn out to clean my egg the gasket is out of harms way rather than on the egg dome. Early on TNW posted pictures of his melted gasket which had been on the egg.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm an advocate of putting it on the inside of my SmokeWare cap. That way when I do a burn out to clean my egg the gasket is out of harms way rather than on the egg dome. Early on TNW posted pictures of his melted gasket which had been on the egg.
    OK...so there are some on here that put the gasket inside the cap. Will that allow for the fire to snuff out as well? I assume it would. Thanks.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I only use the SW cap as my ceramic is in about 50,000 pieces. No problem.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RRP said:
    OK...so there are some on here that put the gasket inside the cap. Will that allow for the fire to snuff out as well? I assume it would. Thanks.

I'm going on year 3 with my cap with the gasket applied inside and I have yet to revert to my old daisey or to my ceramic cap. My SmokeWare snuffs my egg quite well. There appears to have been more tolerance in a recent batch of caps, but my two pieces fit nicely and are air tight. BTW even if the fit between the two metal pieces are sloppy at first the creosote builds up and seals the area.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks for the pic. That helps a ton!