Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey all you folks with Challenger Carts

RickyBobby
RickyBobby Posts: 744
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Are you all using something underneath your Eggs to create an air space? Or is the bottom of your Egg sitting directly on the cabinet?

I've really been looking and I think I might pull the trigger on one of these carts once my funds allow me to. Looked one over top to bottom @ dealer today and they are just plain nice! My Egg is deserving of a nice cart .... right???
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• I sell the Challenger Carts and they do look sharp. You need something in between your Egg and the cart itself. It can be an inexpensive 12x12 brick paver or you can spend a little more and get the Table Nest for whatever size Egg you have. Whatever option you chose, you can't go wrong with a Challenger Cart!

BGE Dealer and EggHead since 2013. Find our company on Facebook
    Large BGE
    Waterloo, IL
  • The BGE table nest is a nice clean look that doesn't let the heat from the Egg penetrate your metal cart. IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited December 2014
    I don't have a Challenger but I do have a compact model Sol'e metal cart for my large egg. I have a table nest and can tell you that the combination of a metal cart and the nest really works well. I think the nest provides a much needed airspace beneath the egg which allows it to sluff heat and helps keep the case bottom from over heating and potentially cracking. Very happy with the combination and recommend it, well worth the money IMO. . 
  • I have a Challenger cart for my large and medium eggs and have them sitting on the BGE table nests.  Look really good and don't have to worry about heat.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Does anyone out there use a table nest with an egg table that doesn't have a hole surrounding it? One that's freestanding?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim said:

Does anyone out there use a table nest with an egg table that doesn't have a hole surrounding it? One that's freestanding?

I'm pretty sure I've seen that done but maybe someone will chime in!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    You don't need a hole to use a table nest. The table nest doesn't cradle the EGG, so I guess it would be easier to knock your EGG over if it was freestanding…but it will hold the egg a few inches off the surface that it is on. Making sense?
    Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    I have the BGE table nest under the XL. It really the only way to go with the challenger. Most other options will scratch the cart too bad. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Table nest here.
  • jpEGG
    jpEGG Posts: 61
    Ditto on the table nests. Love my Challenger!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Also makes it easier to clean out the ash. Just an added benefit. Sometimes eggs in tables or built ins can get more challenging to remove the ash.
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    I've got a LBGE/Challenger cart unit.  The egg sits nicely in the table nest.  I keep my Mini Max on top of a Challenger Bar unit.  Love them both.  Weathertight and mobile.  Easy to use and clean the eggs.  Loads of storage.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Pattypilot
    Pattypilot Posts: 15
    I have the large challenger table (which I love & is worth the big $$).  I Want to get a mini max to keep on top of the challenger; but will the table support the 50 lb weight? 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Love my challenger cart.  I use the egg nest thing.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    We have the large in a large Southern SpecialtiesTable and using fire bricks as spacers.  The nest was not available when we bought, but, when we relocate will probably go with the nest. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    will the table support the 50 lb weight? 

The MM atop should be a non issue. Me personally, I would look for a separate MM cart. I say this because I would want to keep valuable space for prep etc. But, ya it'll easily support the MM weight.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    +1 @NPHuskerFL said. That was my plan as well. You need that space got lifting the grates etc out. I put a 1" slab of granite there so as not to damage the cart with the heat from the PS etc. I also use a nest. 
    Ps don't buy the challenger covers. They don't fit right and blow off in a decent wind. I have to put weight on it so it doesn't. 
  • n8er
    n8er Posts: 114
    edited July 2016

I use the BGE table nest under the Large. I also have the MM off to the side. Will probably add a slab of granite under the MM for peace of mind but so far so good.
    Egging year 'round in North Dakota
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    I use the OEM table nests on my Challenger.