Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a real good beef rib recipe?

Options
Gator
Gator Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to make beef ribs for the first time this weekend. Has anyone had any real good experiences with them and/or any particular recipe or method to cook. I can see they are pretty fatty so I guess low and slow would be in order. Thanks for any tips.

Comments

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Gator,
    As someone here suggested a while back, I just marinated the beef ribs in pineapple juice, nothing else, overnight. I cooked them at around 250F dome for 4 hours or so, until they pulled back from the bone. Simple and easy and very nice.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    beef3.jpg
    <p />Gator,
    There are pictures on my website of a few big boys.
    They need longer than 4 hrs in my opinion and 6 would not be too much. They are greasy - real greasy and they need a looooonnggg cook to drain them down. Add sauce for the last hour if you like it. Here is a small slab after I cut them up.[p]Tim

• Gator
    Options
    JimW,
    Thanks for the input. Did you use a drip pan and rack or did you go with direct heat?

• Gator
    Options
    Tim M,
    Those look awfully tasty. Would a drip pan be in order due to all the grease? Also, did you use any chips or chunks and if so what type of wood works best with beef? Thanks,[p]Craig

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BeefRibs06_12_0017_56_02.jpg
    <p />Gator, check out the link - my one and only experience at beef ribs - they were good, but I just prefer baby backs. Good luck![p]
    [ul][li]Beef Ribs[/ul]
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    gator,
    I used a water-filled drip pan.
    JimW

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    beef1.jpg
    <p />gator,[p]Drip pan is important but mainly acts as a barrier to the fire. Here is my rack as they went on. I use a double boiler type drip pan and it does a better job than just a drip pan alone. They need to cook 6+ hrs so the drippings tend to burn after awhile. Some add water in the drip pan.[p]Tim