Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

when do you salt your prime rib ?

fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
I've always just seasoned a few hours before reverse searing .
I have read recipes that call for salting then wrapping in plastic wrap and refrigerating 24 hrs . After 24 hrs remove plastic wrap apply your seasonings and refrigerate another 24 hrs unwrapped.
Sounds like a dry brine to me.
Anyone like or dislike this method ?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    A few years back Cook's Illustrated ran tests to prove or debunk that and they claimed that if you are going to salt use coarse kosher salt and apply it 4 hours in advance and wrap it tightly in Saran wrap. During that period what moisture that salt will pull out of the meat will actually return back into the meat during that 4 hours and take with it the now salty moisture. They warned that 3 hours wasn't long enough and 4 hours was all the time needed to benefit.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    You ever. Try that @RRP‌ ?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• I've done a long salt coating several hours on quite a few occasions. It's a common practice in most of Europe. Always found the result too salty for my tastes.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• So 4 hours will be enough to draw the salty moisture back into the meat so you don't get the leather like crust.
    The 24 - 48 hour thing is just going to draw the salt flavoring deeper into the meat. Is this right ??
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Last prime rib I did I salted a good 6 hours before cooking due to schedule changes. I thought it was going to be ruined, turned out perfect. I also had a few other spices with it as well.
    Dunedin, FL
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I'm about 3-5, depending on timing.. I normally try to get atleast 3 hours, and seems to work well. I do it in cojunction with adding fresh rosemary and minced garlic and pepper to it as well. I don't wrap, but allow it to sit for 3/4 of the time in the fridge, and the last hour I pull it halfway and let it sit on the counter while I get everything fired up.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Before, during and after cooking. :D
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • RRP
    grege345 said:
    You ever. Try that @RRP‌ ?
    Yes - and I even do that to regular steaks when I remember in advance. If I forget I just salt before hitting the grill, but there definitely  a difference and taste advantage in the 4 hour method.
  • RRP
    edited December 2014
    fairchase said: So 4 hours will be enough to draw the salty moisture back into the meat so you don't get the leather like crust.
    The 24 - 48 hour thing is just going to draw the salt flavoring deeper into the meat. Is this right ??

As I recall CI said all the moisture that the sultan pull out will be pulled and put back in during that 4 hour window and going longer does not mean deeper and deeper.
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    This leaves me a little confused...I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that any kind of a rub was used in place of salt and/or pepper.  I did one prime rib so far, only with a rub and it came out very well.  Always learning.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    I am easily confused as I am now-reading the above I cannot sort out the objective-When to salt and/or what do you gain from the salt load and when to do the load to get the end-result?  It may be obvious to others but I have had a few adult beverages!  Any cleared-eyed insights appreciated.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    @lousubcap:
     The initial question posed by @fairchase was about salting 24 hours in advance and then letting it set another 24 hours. My reply was what CI had said a few years ago from their tests that for the salt to remove moisture but then return the now salted moisture back into the meat then 4 hours was needed. Longer did not benefit the taste. Clear? 

:)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    @RRP-your explanation is clear-but given that all you accomplish is to trade non-salted moisture for one with salt, then I go back to my above post...what is the end objective?  More salt flavor and an enhanced flavor profile or what ?  I am easily confused!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    I rub salt 48 hrs before leave uncovered in fridge. Then 24 hrs before I rub with mrs olearys cow rub, then 275 degrees til 110. Then brig up to 500. Cook to 125-130
  • lousubcap said:

@RRP-your explanation is clear-but given that all you accomplish is to trade non-salted moisture for one with salt, then I go back to my above post...what is the end objective?  More salt flavor and an enhanced flavor profile or what ?  I am easily confused!

More salt inside for flavor.

Little Rock, AR

• fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    edited December 2014
    As i understand it
    brining supposedly helps in retaining moisture also .
  • RRP
    fairchase said:
    As i understand it brining supposedly helps in retaining moisture also .

@fairchase - I hadn't heard it said that way before. Generally speaking brining is used for poultry which can exchange the salt better, but still risks going overboard. OTOH I once brined a rack of pork ribs and they turned out horrible. Do whatever way you like and forget what "we" say! After all you paid for the meat "we" didn't!
  • Salt raises the boiling point of water, thus more water retention in the meat
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The longer salt is on the surface the more salt will permeate the meat, which is the whole purpose.  Salt tenderizes the meat, helps it retain moisture and taste, well, like salt.   You can always salt the outside of the meat, but it takes time for the salt to permeate it.  So earlier the better. 
    I season mine 5 days before I cook them and they are wonderful. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • RRP said:
    fairchase said:

@fairchase - I hadn't heard it said that way before. Generally speaking brining is used for poultry which can exchange the salt better, but still risks going overboard. OTOH I once brined a rack of pork ribs and they turned out horrible. Do whatever way you like and forget what "we" say! After all you paid for the meat "we" didn't!
    maybe because the ribs had been injected with a salt water "flavor enhancer"? had that happen with ribs from Wally World.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • RRP said:
    fairchase said:

Just trying to get a better understanding of a technique I didn't fully understand thats all .
     The reason I ask questions is because I know that others know more than I and I'm trying to better understand.
    Thought that was the whole idea here !
  • RRP
    Sorry if you thought I was bring nippy, as I most certainly wasn't!
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    I salted mine for 3-4 days, then uncovered in fridge for 3 days. First one, and I'm not cooking until 24th, so we will see!!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    RRP said:
    ...if you are going to salt use coarse kosher salt and apply it 4 hours in advance and wrap it tightly in Saran wrap. During that period what moisture that salt will pull out of the meat will actually return back into the meat during that 4 hours and take with it the now salty moisture. They warned that 3 hours wasn't long enough and 4 hours was all the time needed to benefit.
    Thanks!  I never knew the science behind why this was done and in another thread I wondered how restaurants get that salty deliciousness into the meat!   This is it!  

:-bd
    LBGE/Maryland