Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help!

Options
Have a 5 lb flat brisket that has been on now for almost 9 hours at around 225. It has been at 165 now for a few hours and isn't budging. Family is ready to kill me! Using BBQ guru. Pit probe is at the level of the grid and the food probe is in the thickest part of the brisket. The BIg Green Egg temp probe consistently reads much lower than the grid temp. I have to wonder if I am really cooking at a lower temp than the BBQ guru tells me. Bumped up the pit temp a bit. Very frustrating as I didn't think it would take this long for a 5 lb flat brisket. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks.

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Brisket going thru the stall. You can bumb up the tempature to finish. You need to start at least a couple of hours before you think you do. Did you calibrate?
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother this far into the cook, I would suggest wrapping or panning it with a little liquid to help speed it along. I would also bump the temp up to 275-300 degrees once it was wrapped or panned. The liquid will help prevent it from drying out hopefully. Sorry to answer so late. But work has been interfering with my forum time. I hate to give advice on a flat only. It's hard to give exacting advice without seeing and feeling it. However I feel the foiling or panning with liquid this late in the ball game is the sound choice. Just my thoughts my friend. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JuicyMeat
    Options
    Have calibrated the BGE Probe before and it was OK. This is not the first time I have noticed the temp discrepancy. I would expect a slight difference but not what I am seeing (30-40 degrees). SGH - I have foiled it with some apple cider and bumped up the temp. At 175 now. Will pull when 180 if my family doesn't murder me by then!
  • North_Is_Up
    Options
    Throw it in the oven at 375 for 30 minutes. You already have the smoky taste in there. Of course, I'm on the west coast where we have an extra 3 hours per day to smoke things.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    The smaller the brisket the harder the cook. May the force be with u
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    JuicyMeat said:
    Have calibrated the BGE Probe before and it was OK. This is not the first time I have noticed the temp discrepancy. I would expect a slight difference but not what I am seeing (30-40 degrees). SGH - I have foiled it with some apple cider and bumped up the temp. At 175 now. Will pull when 180 if my family doesn't murder me by then!
    Just my opinion but unless you are going to slice it paper thin, you probably will want to go a tad higher than 180. If you have it wrapped with some liquid, you can safely crank the egg up to 425 for the finish with no ill affects. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.