Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recent Brisket cook

Options
Here are some pics of a brisket I did a couple weeks ago.  I essentially followed the Aaron Franklin Youtube series as closely as I could.  Trimmed to about 1/4-1/2" of fat cap, salt & pepper, cooked between 225-250.  I used cherry wood chunks in w/ my lump.  This was a 13lb whole packer.  Put it on around 10:00pm and it was finished around 1:15pm the following afternoon.  Was amazing what happens at 203 degrees.  Thermometer just pushes in like butter.  We let it rest for an hour or more before slicing.  So, so good.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Very nice. Nailed it!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Home-run right there.  And you have got the key to success-it's all about the "feel".  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JT_Thomas
    Options
    Thanks. Forgot to mention a couple things. It was a Prime brisket from Costco that I aged about 40 days. Also, it stalled at 178 for about 4 hours. Seemed a bit high of a temp to stall, but it turned out anyway.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looks great. How did you age it, wet or dry?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JT_Thomas
    Options
    I wet aged it. This was the 2nd brisket I've done. Doing it this way was relatively simple, and damn near as tasty as Franklin's (which is the best I've ever had). Only thing I would do differently is potentially a few more wood chunks.
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    Nice looking Brisket, good job!  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• JT_Thomas
    Options
    Thanks. For you brisket aficionados, my bark was a bit darker w/ less of a mahogany look than I expected. Any idea what would cause that?
  • Chelnerul
    Options
    Outstanding work, @JT_Thomas. I love Franklin's recipe too, and you hit it spot on!

I wish our regional Costcos carried packers, as well as cryovac'd. All we get are wrapped flats. Sad...

What's the sauce?
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    That's one barky brisket. Nice work!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That thing looks fantastic!!! Great job.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • JT_Thomas
    Options
    Chelnerul said:

Outstanding work, @JT_Thomas. I love Franklin's recipe too, and you hit it spot on!

I wish our regional Costcos carried packers, as well as cryovac'd. All we get are wrapped flats. Sad...

What's the sauce?

One of the sauces is my attempt at the Franklin's sauce from the YouTube series. This is the 2nd time, and both times have been overpowering onion flavored. The other sauce was my attempt at his espresso sauce. Only I don't have espresso, so I used really strong coffee. Didn't turn out to taste like his, but was a solid sauce. I'm on the fence w/ regards to sauce on brisket, but lean towards using just a little to compliment the meat. Anyone got a good brisket sauce recipe?
  • JT_Thomas
    Options

That thing looks fantastic!!! Great job.

Thanks. This was the first time I've posted pics of a cook. I generally text pics to my buds, but was particularly proud of this cook.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    And proud you should be.....That is a thing of beauty.. Great post.. =D> ^:)^
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • drewmack
    Options

Did you wrap in butcher paper?

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I prefer my bark real dark like that, magnificent sir!
    =D>
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • anton
    Options
    I also see some sort of honky-rigged device that looks like a door stop and a wine bottle opener perhaps??? Please explain, inquiring dorks want to know!
    :))
  • JT_Thomas
    Options
    drewmack said:

Did you wrap in butcher paper?

No, didn't wrap at all. Lined a styrofoam cooler w/ Reynolds Wrap, and sat it in there, put the lid on and let it sit.
  • JT_Thomas
    Options
    anton said:

I also see some sort of honky-rigged device that looks like a door stop and a wine bottle opener perhaps??? Please explain, inquiring dorks want to know!
    :))

Ha! Good eyes. That is precisely what it is. That is an illustration of how cheap my dad is. My wife used to be a brand manager for wine accessories, so we have a plethora of wine openers. Instead of getting a new one from us, my dad rigged a broken one with a door stop so he could continue to use it. So, part engineering genius, part cheap ass. But mainly cheap ass.
  • anton
    Options
    It's cheap ass genius, love it!
    :-bd ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    JT_Thomas said:
    Thanks. For you brisket aficionados, my bark was a bit darker w/ less of a mahogany look than I expected. Any idea what would cause that?

Cherry makes everything darker. If you wanted the mahogany bark you would need to use a rub with those characteristics (paprika, chili powders etc) and then when the brisky gets to the color you want, wrap it up in paper or foil. Also, you could use oak, hickory (I'm all oak on beef) and that would not make the bark as dark. I'm in the meteorite camp on brisket. Mahogany is for quitters!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    JT_Thomas said:

Cherry makes everything darker. If you wanted the mahogany bark you would need to use a rub with those characteristics (paprika, chili powders etc) and then when the brisky gets to the color you want, wrap it up in paper or foil. Also, you could use oak, hickory (I'm all oak on beef) and that would not make the bark as dark. I'm in the meteorite camp on brisket. Mahogany is for quitters! :))
  • JT_Thomas
    Options
    JT_Thomas said:

Cherry makes everything darker. If you wanted the mahogany bark you would need to use a rub with those characteristics (paprika, chili powders etc) and then when the brisky gets to the color you want, wrap it up in paper or foil. Also, you could use oak, hickory (I'm all oak on beef) and that would not make the bark as dark. I'm in the meteorite camp on brisket. Mahogany is for quitters!
    Good to know that it was the wood.  Since it was only my 2nd, I haven't gotten to a preference of color.  I was only wondering b/c in the Aaron Franklin youtube series, he talked about the mahogany color.  I wasn't sure if it was something I did, or if it was the lump, or what.  Nice to know that it was likely the wood.  Like I was saying, I'd be hard pressed to change it up after it turned out so well, but may experiment w/ some oak next time for giggles.
  • JT_Thomas
    Options
    anton said:
    It's cheap ass genius, love it!
    :-bd ;)
    Exactly!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JT_Thomas said:
    JT_Thomas said:

Good to know that it was the wood.  Since it was only my 2nd, I haven't gotten to a preference of color.  I was only wondering b/c in the Aaron Franklin youtube series, he talked about the mahogany color.  I wasn't sure if it was something I did, or if it was the lump, or what.  Nice to know that it was likely the wood.  Like I was saying, I'd be hard pressed to change it up after it turned out so well, but may experiment w/ some oak next time for giggles.

Aaron says he wraps when the bark is the color he likes. I've eaten at his place several times, his are black as lump at the restarant. The videos are good for home use but that's not really the way he cooks at the shop. Mine are always realy dark (think meteorite) and I use oak. If you are going for color, like for a comp or something, you need to find a rub that gives you that color then wrapit once it's where you like it. I don't normally wrap so mine just get darker and darker until they are done. Just know that when you use cherry, it will darken even faster. Do a spatch with cherry and then another apple or something else and notice the difference. you'll see that they cherry is several shades darker than anything else that I know of.
  • JT_Thomas
    Options
    Good points. Doubtful I'll be competing, so I'll likely let it continue to get darker. And now that you mention it, Franklin's was really dark the one time I ate there. Thanks for the info!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks great @JT_Thomas‌
    I like using oak chunks primarily with maybe occasionally using one or two chunks of black cherry. The bark gets a deep mahogany and gives off some great flavor. I don't wrap it in the egg. FTC yes. S&P rub on packers and flats I do either a S&P rub or my own rub recipe. For me as long as I get a nice bark, good moisture and beef flavor shines I'm good.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL