Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Cold Smoking Cheese w/A-Maze-N Smoker

Options
Gents,

All the cold smoking threads got me thinking about taking advantage of the 31 degree weather here this afternoon and trying out my A-Maze-N smoker for the first time. Loaded it up with apple pellets, lit it at both ends with my butane cigar torch for 45 seconds, and placed it in the XL BGE, letting it sit for 15 minutes. I also used by AR to double the space, and put a selection of cheeses for myself and my neighbor (he brought over a selection and garlic as well.)

We've got a nice tour - gouda, havarti, cheddar, gruyere, Buffalo cheddar, habanero and pepper jack, as well as garlic, salt (in the tray beneath) and butter. Trying to get the full tour here. 

I've got a Food Saver that I'll use to seal the cheese up, and then it's off to the fridge for 3-4 weeks if we can stand it. I will post hour by hour shots as we progress. I am thinking of 4 hours or so - anybody have suggestion for total cold smoke time with the apple pellets? I don't want to have an overpowering smoky taste, as this is my first try, and I don't want to smoke out my wife!
Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...

Comments