Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grill grates

Options
anybody use the grill grates brand grate for searing steaks and burgers etc. ?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am guessing this is not a joke by the number of posts. I will answer as such. First off BAD idea (IMO) as just $$ tossed when it could be put on much more useful items. If you want marks from searing buy CI grid or a CI Lodge. I am a fan of the Lodge CI but not of the CI Grid as I can live w/o the marks on my protein. Lodge or any other CI skillet really works to sear. Someone will post a thread about Great Mates and if you have an hour to read it, very funny stuff.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just used a CI Lodge Skillet a couple of days ago. imageimageimagephoto IMG_1793_zpsbb483931.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• iyacyas
    Options
    I use the GriilGrates...  And funny story, I love'em.  they are a carry over from my days of grilling on gas.  I do use then on the EGG, but they perform best when using a gas grill.  The cast iron that is talked about is probably good, I do not have one, but I do use cast iron skillets on the EGG.  The major difference that I would like to point out is that the GrillGrates are light, heat up extremely fast and then cool off quickly and they are modular meaning they can be sized larger or smaller during a cook.  Cast iron pans are heavy take up a lot or room on the grill and take a long time to cool off.  I use both and each have there place and it depends on the style of cooking that you do.  I "sear in the rear" my steaks...  meaning that I cook my steaks slow on the Eggs stainless grill away from from the heat at around 300-F until they reach about 120-F for Med rare, then I take them off the Eggs grill place the GrillGrates on the EGG, feed the fire with air and about 5 minutes later the GrillGrates are Hot Hot Hot then I put the steaks back on for about 1 min on both sides and done. Oh did I mention that they are easy to clean!
  • Mickey
    Options
    CORRECTION::::::: due to old age I said Grill Grates ( outstanding product for the Small) and should have said ManGrates a product that I nor lots have no respect for which are like the above (IMO). Glad you like yours.

• plumbfir01
    Options
    grill grates are great for non egg grills.....gas and standard charcoal. my FIL is a horrible griller and they upped his skills tremendously 
    Beaufort, SC
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Options
    I have them for my gas grill. They do give nice sear marks but their biggest benefit is reducing flare ups. I don't have any problems with flare ups on my egg so they stay on the gasser.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • REMtx
    REMtx Posts: 63
    Options
    I have them for my bge. Love them. Use them for steaks, burgers, and fajitas mostly. As mentioned before, does most of the same cast iron does, but is lighter and wont rust.