Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hickory chunks

I'll be doing my second cook on my new egg this weekend, Ribs are on the menu. How do you determine how many hickory chunks to toss in?
Atlanta GA. 

Comments

• It varies by wood for me but with hickory I put three in that are the size of my fist.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    I just go with about a quarter to a third of the total volume versus the lump and disperse it throughout.   

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    KennyLee said:
    I just go with about a quarter to a third of the total volume versus the lump and disperse it throughout.   
    Woweee, really?  I use 3-4 small fist sized chunks, that I split into even smaller pieces maybe into quarters - but nowhere near chips size, and scatter throughout, but mostly from top to bottom in the center 50% of the firebox. I think I get a good amount of smoke in the meat.  I know people's taste differ, and please do not take my comment the wrong way. You must like a ton of smoke.

@noobzero
    You will learn in time how much you like. Start on the lighter side, and add more the next cook, and you will find out. Poultry will take smoke easier - and you will use less wood.

I find if you go less than 2 chunks, you do not get much in the meat with pork.  I feel good by suggesting 3-4 chunks - then adjust accordingly.  Better to start light then too heavy - IMHO.

Welcome to the journey!

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    NoobZero said:
    I'll be doing my second cook on my new egg this weekend, Ribs are on the menu. How do you determine how many hickory chunks to toss in?
    Brother let me offer this. Caution is warranted when using hickory. Please don't misunderstand, it's a great smoking wood. However it is quite potent and strong. Use it sparingly until you determine your tolerance. More food has been ruined with hickory wood than with match light.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• You'll get a lot of different opinions on here, but I've read a number of times (and in different places) that meat on a smoker will take up all the smoke flavor it can absorb in the first 1.5-2 hours of a cook. After that the proteins that bind the smoky compounds are all saturated. If that's the case (and I tend to believe it) why mix wood throughout the lump? Don't you only need it for ~2hours?

For me, I use 2 fist size hunks of hickory for a butt and 3 for a brisket, but I toss them all directly into lit areas of the coals and wait for the smoke to clear (mostly) before adding the meat to the mix. I don't like the idea of having new wood lighting and producing VOCs throughout the cook. For apple or milder woods I go up to 4-5 chunks, and I don't ever really touch mesquite.

Just my thoughts. Like I said, you'll get many, and like the wise SGH said you'll want to dial in to your own tastes.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Sea2Ski said:
    KennyLee said:
    Woweee, really?  I use 3-4 small fist sized chunks, that I split into even smaller pieces maybe into quarters - but nowhere near chips size, and scatter throughout, but mostly from top to bottom in the center 50% of the firebox. I think I get a good amount of smoke in the meat.  I know people's taste differ, and please do not take my comment the wrong way. You must like a ton of smoke.
    Yes...I don't think that's too much at all.  Maybe 6-8 good sized chunks or so?  But I've been smoking meat for close to 25 years and all my low and slow cooking prior to the Egg has been on stick burners where I used nothing but wood and no charcoal at all. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    On a medium egg, I use one piece of hickory about the size of a 2.5 inch cube and one of apple the same size.  I let VOC's burn off, add the chunks, the medium woo2 and pizza stone, and then the ribs.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Thanks everyone. This gives me a good starting point.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    NoobZero said:
    Thanks everyone. This gives me a good starting point.
    I will give you a even better starting point my friend. Oak.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I have to agree with @SGH here. Use oak or a mix of apple and cherry.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • I'm not sure that's the ultimate lesson here. Hickory is fine, as are any number of other woods, it's just that some are a little stronger than others and slightly different techniques are probably best for each.

i wouldn't avoid hickory, just allow a bit more learning curve to perfect it. I do agree that apple, oak, and cherry are great smoking woods as well, but I hate the idea that anyone would come away from this forum scared to try something new.

Cheers -
    B_B 
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • @Black_Badger‌ i do agree hickory is a great smoking wood. I just prefer it with beef over pork. I was trying to give the op other options with a little milder smoke flavor is all.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • I like peach wood with pork ribs. Puts a sweet smell in the air too.
    Gittin' there...
  • I like peach wood with pork ribs. Puts a sweet smell in the air too.

I love the smell of peach burning. Like apple and pecan for pork as well.

I think the best advice in the thread is start small and find what you like.