Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump in Bakersfield, CA

Options
Hi. My son's XL BGE is being delivered tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to buy lump? Thanks.

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Check for an ace hardware, ace near me in NorCal sells kamado Joe lump which is really good. If they do not have any, they will order to store for no shipping cost. Also Walmart should carry royal oak which isn't awful, but has a smoke flavor and isn't as dense.
  • Hokiejacket
    Options
    Thanks for the Ace recommendation.
  • Hokiejacket
    Options
    Really?  No suggestions from Bakersfield Eggers?  I'm asking since they just moved into town.
  • bakoque
    Options
    Royal Oak at Walmart, but prefer Lazzari mesquite lump from OSH.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    It's been a LONG time since I've lived in Bakersfield, so I have no idea about where to get lump, but I know Hammons meats is still in town and when they decide they want to get some good meat to cook that would be a good place to check out.

There also used to be a really cool shop on the corner of Coffee and Stockdale Hwy that sold rubs and sauces (both hot and BBQ). I can't remember the name, but if it's still there that might a another good spot to check out.

I moved away after high school in 1998, so it's not much of a stretch to say things have changed a bit in the last 15 or so years...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is a no brainer.  Even here in SoCal, our choices aren't great (RO, BGE, Cowboy, etc).  Amazon has Fogo, which is excellent lump.  If you have a Prime account, it will be delivered to your door in 3 days (it needs to ship via ground).  Buy the 35lb bags.  http://www.amazon.com/Fogo-FHWC35LB-35-Pound-Hardwood-Charcoal/dp/B009P166SU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419005931&sr=8-1&keywords=fogo+lump+charcoal&pebp=1419005939671
    Santa Paula, CA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Really?  No suggestions from Bakersfield Eggers?  I'm asking since they just moved into town

I am in Visalia up the road- I use RO from Home Depot, they always have it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Also ,lease don't let them drink the water there.........seems to do something 8-}
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    I agree with @tksmoke about the poor selection in SoCal.  I suggest go to FireCraft.com and order $100 worth of Ozark Oak and some wood chunks.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Most all Home Depots carry Royal Oak, 17.8# bags around $13. That'll get him started until other options can be checked out. Not sure about SoCal with all the Gov't restrictions, but here in Arizona you can find lump in Grocery stores.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • bakoque
    Options
    Hey B_B, "There also used to be a really cool shop on the corner of Coffee and Stockdale Hwy that sold rubs and sauces (both hot and BBQ). I can't remember the name, but if it's still there that might a another good spot to check out." It is called Prime Cut and has moved to Coffee & Brimhall.
  • Hokiejacket
    Options
    It's been a LONG time since I've lived in Bakersfield, so I have no idea about where to get lump, but I know Hammons meats is still in town and when they decide they want to get some good meat to cook that would be a good place to check out.

There also used to be a really cool shop on the corner of Coffee and Stockdale Hwy that sold rubs and sauces (both hot and BBQ). I can't remember the name, but if it's still there that might a another good spot to check out.

I moved away after high school in 1998, so it's not much of a stretch to say things have changed a bit in the last 15 or so years...

Cheers -
    B_B

Cheers -
    B_B

Thanks.
  • Hokiejacket
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll pass them along.