Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help - Need Prime Rib Advice

Options
I am going to do my first prime rib and need some advice.  I was planning on indirect at about 250 grate until about 115 IT then a high temp sear until 135 IT for medium rare, does that sound about right?  I know to cook to temperature, but how can I estimate cooking time? Other advice?
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I think 135 is too high for medium rare, i would pull at 125. I pulled this one at 128.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

I don't have access to my notes but the below link should help you out-I don't reverse sear but many here do so hopefully they will be along.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html  Great eats await!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    From my experience, 135 is too high. I pulled one last year at 120. After it rested, it was about 126 in center. The ends were perfect for those that don't like it too rare. The center was good for those who like it rare.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I was about to post the same thread, so thanks CPARKTX!  I'll piggy back on this...

I'm planning on either brisket or a prime rib for NYE.   In either case, it won't be a sit down dinner it'll be people grabbing food on small plates to enjoy.  

Here is what I am going for and  hopefully you can give me some tips.  I've only made a prime rib once and never on the BGE -

Some prime ribs just taste like meat.   Might be perfectly cooked.  But it's just flesh.   Other prime ribs are completely loaded with flavor.  You can't get enough of it no matter how much you've eaten! That is what I'm going for.   No particular spice comes out (other than rosemary which I love) but every bite is just awesome.   I'm not 100% sure, but I think they key ingredient I'm tasting is a lot of salt.

So, how do I make a salty rosemary flavorful prime rib?  I don't need it rare.  Pink is fine.  A tender prime rib is event excellent if there is very little pink left on the meat. 

I'm thinking rub it with garlic, rosemary, fresh ground pepper and lots of kosher salt.
    I'd cook with Rockwood so that it has less smoke flavor.
    I have no preference to searing initially or at the end or not at all.  Whatever is easier.
    No idea on cook temp, pull temp and if I wrap I FTC it.

Thanks for any tips!! 
    :-bd
    LBGE/Maryland
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I do 250* dome to 115*-120* internal, then sear for 1.5 minutes per side. Get compliments all the time. Did one for thanksgiving and a Xmas party last week.

Oh yea, make sure you let it rest to get those juices flowing. I FTC for at least 20-30 minutes.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I'm going this route for Xmas eve.  Also haven't finalized the cook yet, so I'll be interested to hear what others are doing.  I figure I'll get a big hunk of beef and layer on a coating of fresh and dried herbs and salt, and cook it low and slow until around 110-115, then give it a sear, up to 125-130.  Not sure what cut I'll find, if from RD vs Costco, but the day is approaching so hopefully I'll see something soon! 

Planning to serve with popovers, wild rice, brussel sprouts.  Maybe an app of smoked duck/brie/fig jam that someone mentioned recently - @dmw maybe?

Looking forward to see what you guys do, please post your ideas and cooks!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have done them many times. They are actually a pretty easy cook, the only thing you can do wrong is to over cook it. Even if you char the outside, it's such a big hunk of meat that it comes out great. I run mine between 350 and 375. I am doing an 8 lb bone in Prime Rib Roast for Christmas day and am expecting it to take 2 hours 45 min or so. I pull it at 125 and it usually  comes up to about 130 to 135 during a 20 min rest. You want a little variance in IT across the roast as different people like Rare, Medium Rare, and Medium. As far as prep, the best I have found is as follows; Slather the roast  with Dijon mustard and sprinkle on a rub mixture of black pepper (coarse), sea or kosher  salt, garlic powder, chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, and ground dried mushroom. The family loves it and demands it for either Christmas or New Years every year. 
  • Little Steven
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I think 135 is too high for medium rare, i would pull at 125. I pulled this one at 128.
    True dat. Another factor is that beef cooked low will retain it's redness at higher temps. I go 200* for prime rib and cook until 130*. It still looks raw. I did one to 150* once and it was still red all the way through. Somewhere there is a post about it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    True dat. Another factor is that beef cooked low will retain it's redness at higher temps. I go 200* for prime rib and cook until 130*. It still looks raw. I did one to 150* once and it was still red all the way through. Somewhere there is a post about it.
    Further to what LS says, you don't have to sear unless you are looking for some kind of crust on the outside. Last couple have been hit with a torch for a couple minutes to give some colour than a nice butter/oil/garlic/rosemary board sauce. You can also sear in a CI pan, gives much better colour without overcooking the outside, IMO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • r8rs4lf
    Options

I have done them many times. They are actually a pretty easy cook, the only thing you can do wrong is to over cook it. Even if you char the outside, it's such a big hunk of meat that it comes out great. I run mine between 350 and 375. 

I run mine at 250* and its usually the same color all the way through. Maybe a little more cooked on the ends, but not much. By cooking it at higher temps do you achieve the reddest part in the middle with it being more cooked as you move towards the ends?
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    ... I run mine between 350 and 375. I am doing an 8 lb bone in Prime Rib Roast for Christmas day and am expecting it to take 2 hours 45 min or so. I pull it at 125 and it usually  comes up to about 130 to 135 during a 20 min rest. ...
    Do you do it raised direct or indirect?

How is the tenderness of the meat cooking at a higher temp?   Still not high, but not a low and slow.  I like that cook time though, easier to work with.

Any differences if I buy a boneless prime rib?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I like a little Worcestershire sauce or some Dale's Steak Seasoning (it's liquid) on it, and some Montreal Steak Seasoning by McCormick for the outside.  Either way, with the advise given here it's doubtful you will have "just another piece of meat" on your hands.  Bone in or bone out, I've done both and they are both great, but if you do bone in just make sure you watch some vids prior on how to remove the bone properly.  I didn't the first time I made one and thought you cut it like ribs :)  Silly me. 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I am here to learn about a boneless also, Christmas day cook. A steakhouse chain here in Ca does one with a great crust/bark, and always rare enough inside. I would like that, I was thinking indirect, then reverse sear as well.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I cook mine indirect but with quite a bit of distance between the diffuser  and the meat to allow the heat to really circulate well.I put the diffuser down low and the main grate just below the felt, with another grate probably 4 to 5 "s above that. I make sure there is a good air space between the diffuser and the main grate. I set a low sided  lodge enameled cast iron braiser pan on the main grate. The pan holds sweet onions, carrots, celery, halved baby bella mushrooms, apple wedges, and whole stemmed mission figs. I use a little apple cider, better than bullion, and red wine in the pan along with aromatic herbs. The roast goes on the raised grate above the pan and up in the dome, where it gets both rising as well as reflected heat. I add the veggies to the pan with about and hour left in the cook. I jump start the onions and carrots with 5 min in the microwave before adding them to the pan. During the first part of the cook the pan is empty with just a bit of apple cider that I continue to add to, as it cooks down. The mustard and rub  slathered on the roast, as mentioned above, helps create a nice crust. The roast drops juices into the pan and adds beefy flavor to the veggies. Makes me hungry just writing about it. The wife makes a really first class Au Gratin potato dish, and we call it dinner. The family draws lots for the end cuts, the guys and a couple girls knaw on the bones. Oh, I almost forgot. Boneless is probably easier if this is your first PRR. If you go with bone in, I pre cut the inside curve of the bone where it touches the meat and almost completely separate it from the roast. Then I use butchers twine and tie it back together so it looks like it did uncut. At the end of the cook you just clip the twine, finish the cut, and lift the bone rack off the roast. Then you are free to slice the roast as thick or thin as your guests request. I cut the bones apart and have them available for those that would like them. As far as tenderness goes, if it is good meat and you pull it at 125, I always find it is like butter. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

"somewhere there is a post about it": well I'll just dig through 26,963 of them to see if I can find it :-/
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    I do 250* dome to 115*-120* internal, then sear for 1.5 minutes per side

Did a rib roast earlier this week. It was at 115*+ . Took it off and got the Egg fired up to 500* for a sear. I probably seared 3 sides in less than 3 minutes. Once the drippings/fat hit the coals it was getting out of control, had to close the lower vent to smother the flames. The final sear got the rib roast to about 127* before cutting it.

• r8rs4lf
    Options
    Mikee said:

r8rs4lf said:

I do 250* dome to 115*-120* internal, then sear for 1.5 minutes per side

Did a rib roast earlier this week. It was at 115*+ . Took it off and got the Egg fired up to 500* for a sear. I probably seared 3 sides in less than 3 minutes. Once the drippings/fat hit the coals it was getting out of control, had to close the lower vent to smother the flames. The final sear got the rib roast to about 127* before cutting it.

Yes the fire gets crazy!! My last one was an inferno!

I don't even take temps after sear. I been doing it the same way for a few now and it always comes out great.
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I like this rub. Ingredients 2 tablespoons ground black pepper 2 teaspoons dried rosemary leaves 2 teaspoons dried thyme or oregano 1 teaspoon garlic powder 1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon American paprika 1/2 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder 5 tablespoons olive oil or another vegetable oil
    GWN
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I did one last year, and plan to do another for Christmas Eve dinner.. I rub mine with some oil, TONS of minced garlic, rosemary, and plenty of salt and pepper. Let it sit for a while, and then get the egg up to 225. Indirect, raised grid, plenty of room around the roast. Once it was to 110-115, I pulled it. Pulled the plate setter, and cracked it up wide open.. Raging fire. Tossed it on there and seared it up, nice and beautiful brown, and pulled it off to rest while we got everything together. Was a fantastic and great meal. This year, I'll be able to do the low cook on the large, and sear it up fast on the minimax and keep the meal moving!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • rosem
    rosem Posts: 48
    Options
    Everything you need to know:
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html

They key is not to be stingy with the seasoning. Which can just be pepper and kosher salt.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've only done a 8 pound beef tenderloin once. I cooked it indirect at 275 to 300 to 130, pulled, tented for 2o minutes while cooking veggies. It's been the best thing I have cooked do far. We are hosting a family dinner next Saturday and my father-n-law wants to the prime rib in the oven. He overcooked it last year and is afraid to do it on my egg. The key is to set up your dual temp gauge and monitor it. I may get a small one to show him how it's done. I'm not going sear it. I may try and talk him into letting me do it on the egg. It will taste better. I just used olive oil, salt, pepper garlic powder and some rosemary.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @rosem, the two stage method, looks like absolute genius, thank you for the link.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    edited December 2014
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:

Yes the fire gets crazy!! My last one was an inferno! I don't even take temps after sear. I been doing it the same way for a few now and it always comes out great.
    I've only cooked a few Rib Roast over the years. This was the first time for a reverse sear. By doing a final temperature reading it gave me an idea of what to expect the next time.
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    One more question.

The links and tips in this thread are great (and it has been bookmarked!) but I was wondering if I can FTC after the reverse sear?

Reason is, I can finish the roast, and then let it sit while I get the rest of the party together so I'm not futzing with the egg when guests are there and I'd rather be serving cocktails and having all the food completed.

FoodLab recommends the opposite below, but doesn't say you can't do what I suggested.  Just wondering...

The best part? I found that by cooking with this two stage method, I had a much larger window of time to serve the beef. Once I got past the initial low-temperature phase of cooking, so long as I kept the roast covered in foil, it would stay warm for over an hour. All I had to do was pop it back into its 550°F oven 8 minutes before my guests were ready to eat, and the roast would emerge hot, sizzling, and ready to carve, no need to rest it after the 500, since the only part that is being affected is the very exterior.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ I haven't tried what you suggested, but in your case would think you might be better finishing and loosely tenting instead of FTC, the roast should stay warm a while...think of restaurant carving stations.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

"The links and tips in this thread are great (and it has been bookmarked!) but I was wondering if I can FTC after the reverse sear?"

Yes, I have done it many times.  It does soften the bark a little. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks, Foghorn!  I'm okay with a softer bark, I'll still get the flavor.
    I may then pull it a little earlier as it'll get heat not only on the rest, but also when I reverse sear.  

LBGE/Maryland