Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Garagebar and a newbie question

Options
So here's a better picture of the Garagebar.

And I broke in the BGE today but I could only get it to 275 degrees. 

Granted I used less than half the lump charcoal I'm suppose to but I thought that's what I was suppose to do?

Bill

From the deep south...land of saltwater fish...west central Florida

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    You can fill it up to the top of the fire ring. You're gonna reuse any unburned lump. Just stir the old to send ash south, refill and light. No need to use small load. With a decent load and vent open, top off, you can easily wrap the thermo.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My kind of garage! So with both the bottom all the way open and the daisy lid off, you could only manage 275? Sure you didn't wrap the needle?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Sameydog
    Sameydog Posts: 154
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    My kind of garage! So with both the bottom all the way open and the daisy lid off, you could only manage 275? Sure you didn't wrap the needle?
    Yes...and the needle was unwrapped. I think it's because I only used a small amount of charcoal which I thought I was suppose to do to break it in? Tomorrow I'll do the full amount and do a beer butt chicken so it should be fine...I hope.

Bill
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited December 2014
    Options
    How much lump did you use? My egg gets really hot when I use less lump because airflow is not restricted, just doesn't last long. You might have airflow issues. Were the lump pieces big or small?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Sameydog
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    How much lump did you use? My egg gots really hot when I use less lump because airflow is not restricted, just doesn't last long. You might have airflow issues. Were the lump pieces big or small?
    I didn't use much and they were a mixed size. It was the BGE charcoal. I'm certain it was the amount and the fact there was no air flow today due to the calm day as this is a brand new Egg. My dealer actually set it up for me so I'm sure everything was done correctly. I'm convinced it was me that was the problem.  :)

Bill
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've seen a lot of awesome set ups on this site but this one is right up my alley. I especially like the my garage, my rules sign.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You'll find spatchcock chicken is as good, if not better and less time and effort. Beer Can is fun but one I did  spatchcock I've not another beer can. 

Have fun with your Egg It's a life changer. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I love the sea themed curtain under the bar....and the full trash can! :)>-
    New Albany, Ohio 

• stemc33
    Options
    If you fill just to the top of the fire box, you'll have plenty of lump to achieve high temperatures and it will last more than long enough to cook your chicken. Filling to the top of the fire ring is great for extended long low and slow cooks, but sometimes it creates airflow issue on the hot cooks. You'll here lots of opinions on this, but this is just from my experience.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Sameydog
    Options
    KingtUT said:
    I've seen a lot of awesome set ups on this site but this one is right up my alley. I especially like the my garage, my rules sign.
    You should see it when I turn on the lights. The sign was a gift from my wife...she has the right attitude. Not to run on about it but the locals love being here as I have a full screen on the garage door and being in Florida it makes a nice place to drink and smoke cigars. Plus play guitar. The BGE has just added another level to enjoying it.

Bill
  • stemc33
    Options
    @Sameydog‌, if you like cigars, you'll definitely like postings from @hapster‌.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Turk2011
    Options
    I'll second on the spatchcock it's the only way I'll do whole chicken or turkey anymore. Real nice looking garage also
    Swampeast , MO  XL 2013  MM 2015
  • Sameydog
    Options
    Okay...spatchcock chicken it is.

I've done lots of beer butt chicken on grills so this will something different for me.

Bill
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I have major garage envy now :)

Make sure the opening of the firebowl is lined up with the lower vent for optimal air flow.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Great garage bar and mancave. I likes it!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "