Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humphrey lump..thinking about splitting a pallet with another bge owner

I hear pros and cons about all the lumps...seems like hump lump is a good choice. He'll at .85 cents # with shipping it tough to beat.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Not that hard to beat. Order fogo off amazon its probably my favorite lump even over ozark oak and rockwood. Right now its just over $1 a pound at $40 for 35 pounds but if you watch it and stock up when the price drops you can get a better lump at the same or lower price. I just ordered a couple bags a month or so ago at $29 for 35 pounds delivered.
  • AUCE said:
    I hear pros and cons about all the lumps...seems like hump lump is a good choice. He'll at .85 cents # with shipping it tough to beat.

Not bad. Where are you located? I'm in SE PA. I can get it for around .70/# picked up, 5 bags or more. I get it locally and usually get a 100#+ when I do.
    I looked into a pallet a couple of years ago until I found another supplier nearby that always has it in stock.
    I love the Humphrey lump. I am currently using a bag of Rockwood and am not seeing the hype except that it is very smoke neutral. I have not tried the Ozark Oak yet.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890

AUCE said:

Not bad. Where are you located? I'm in SE PA. I can get it for around .70/# picked up, 5 bags or more. I get it locally and usually get a 100#+ when I do.
    I looked into a pallet a couple of years ago until I found another supplier nearby that always has it in stock.
    I love the Humphrey lump. I am currently using a bag of Rockwood and am not seeing the hype except that it is very smoke neutral. I have not tried the Ozark Oak yet.

I'm in central Fl. West coast. Gonna buy direct...

• AUCE
    That includes freight.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    The nice thing about organizing a group buy is that the lump is handled by fewer people before it gets to you.  This results in getting less broken up charcoal and holes in the bags.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Personally I'm a fan of the Ozark Oak, but since moving I haven't found a place to get it. If I could find it I'd buy it.

The new place I've been going does carry Humphreys and I like it. There are a lot of very large pieces including pieces of small limbs, but it lights well, burns clean (not a lot of popping and sparking), and seems to last fairly well. For an XL the very large pieces are not problem and probably help with airflow. I think the 20# bags I've been getting are about $17-18.

I've bought more than my share of BGE lump and it's great, but it's not worth the premium they extract. I've had to pay upwards of $40 per 20# bag when it's all I could readily get.

I bought one bag of Cowboy lump and thought it was garbage, I won't buy it again.

I'd say the Humphreys is well worth a try, but I would try it before buying half a pallet or more.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited December 2014
    It's a good lump. My experience has been that it burns faster than other lump. It wasn't as dense as some. I liked it for grilling Temps not for low and slow. I went through 2 20lb bags very quickly.
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • AUCE
    Good to know

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    edited December 2014
    I've gotten 20+ hours out of a load of Humphreys cooking at 250 degrees in my XL.
    I also felt it got hotter than the RW I've been using lately.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • AUCE
    Using a load of RO now on my xl

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    If you have amazon prime get a 35lb bag of fogo. Its great for the XL since its mostly fist sized or bigger pieces.