Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My experience installing a Rutland gasket

Options
r8rs4lf
r8rs4lf Posts: 317
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Just thought I'd share my experience.

First off I needed a new gasket because I decided to do a clean burn. Won't be doing that again as I cracked my fire ring. A new one is on the way.

Install was really simple! Here are the tools I used. You can see I only had a little left over. That blade is from my saws all and it worked perfectly.

And when it's all said and done.

I put some wax paper in between the base and dome so now just waiting for it to cure.

Huge thanks to Ron!!!

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Hmmm. Ok. :-/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Alex - thanks for the post!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • r8rs4lf
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I bought the gasket because I fried my old one doing a clean burn. The fire ring cracked I assume because of the high heat it reached while doing the clean burn.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Ah. Ok. Don't be scared of cracks. That's what the warranty is for.
  • r8rs4lf
    Options
    On a side note I now have a pretty bad underbite. Don't know if it was there previously. If it was I never noticed. Anyone know how to correct that or should I not be concerned?
  • Jeremiah
    edited December 2014
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:

Ok guys hold your horses!! I hit the post button before I finished. Jesus!!!

I bought the gasket because I fried my old one doing a clean burn. The fire ring cracked I assume because of the high heat it reached while doing the clean burn.

I'm bored. Jaxs and the Titans. Blah.

Edit: I guess it could be worse, could be jax and Oakland. :-\"
  • RRP
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    On a side note I now have a pretty bad underbite. Don't know if it was there previously. If it was I never noticed. Anyone know how to correct that or should I not be concerned?
    Alex, in your email you told me you did not intend to remove your dome. If you didn't then the underbite was already there. If you are really meaning that now the dome does not match well with the base then that problem is easily addressed. Please clarify. In the meantime I will send you an email. OK?
  • r8rs4lf
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RRP said:

r8rs4lf said:

Alex, in your email you told me you did not intend to remove your dome. If you didn't then the underbite was already there. If you are really meaning that now the dome does not match well with the base then that problem is easily addressed. Please clarify. In the meantime I will send you an email. OK?
    No I did not remove the dome. I guess maybe it was there but I couldn't see it because of the old gasket. I don't know. Either way I found that utube video that showed loosening the four bolts that hold the lid. Then use a crescent wrench to lift the hinge assembly up and down a few times. I followed it and it's all lined up now.

Thanks for the concern Ron.

• RRP
    Options
    r8rs4lf said:
    r8rs4lf said:
    No I did not remove the dome. I guess maybe it was there but I couldn't see it because of the old gasket. I don't know. Either way I found that utube video that showed loosening the four bolts that hold the lid. Then use a crescent wrench to lift the hinge assembly up and down a few times. I followed it and it's all lined up now. Thanks for the concern Ron.
    GOOD! Your pictures are testimony to your careful and precise application. The minor amount of Permatex inside can be easily trimmed off tomorrow with a sharp knife. 
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Gasket on the bottom only?
    Adjustment link on you tube plz.
    Thx
    Looks great!

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @AUCE‌
    Kamado - Kamado Lid adjustment.. Big Green Egg -…: http://youtu.be/71Jplxn4yAg
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • r8rs4lf
    Options
    AUCE said:

Gasket on the bottom only?
    Adjustment link on you tube plz.
    Thx
    Looks great!

Yes, the recommendation is gasket on the base only. I did the dollar test yesterday after a few hours drying time and the seal is tighter than the factory gasket all around the lid.
  • AUCE
    Options

@AUCE‌
    Kamado - Kamado Lid adjustment.. Big Green Egg -…: http://youtu.be/71Jplxn4yAg

Thx

• AUCE
    Options
    Anybody else Spring their bands?

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

Don't throw the old fire ring away.  You can use JB Weld to fix it. 

• RRP
    Options
    walleyv said:

Don't throw the old fire ring away.  You can use JB Weld to fix it. 

You could, but the reason it cracked was a flaw needing to break to relieve the stress. I've used a fire ring that was in 2 pieces for years.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Don't toss the fire ring, mine as the exact same crack and I've been using it for about 6 years, the warranty one is still in the box untouched. It will not hurt a thing to cook on.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌ -- you are lucky that you got to keep your cracked fire ring. My bge dealer kept my cracked fire ring. He told me he needs to send them back.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    @TigerTony‌ Your dealer must have needed one for himself.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Regarding the 'cracked' fire ring. When you do a warranty, do you ship the damaged part to them and they ship you one back. How does that work?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Couldn't you turn the cracked fire ring upside down and reinstall it on the new fire ring for a raised grate? 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    You do not have to ship the old part back.  The dealer usually destroys the broker parts.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    My thoughts exactly @Jeepster47‌ !!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Ok guys hold your horses!! I hit the post button before I finished. Jesus!!! I bought the gasket because I fried my old one doing a clean burn. The fire ring cracked I assume because of the high heat it reached while doing the clean burn.
    I'm bored. Jaxs and the Titans. Blah. Edit: I guess it could be worse, could be jax and Oakland. :-\"
    I would argue the Raiders are way more exciting than the Titans this year.  We are actually letting our stud rookie RB get more than 10 carries, beat a playoff team, etc.
  • walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options

I am a BGE dealer and I never have to send anything back. 

My fire ring has split into about 2 years ago and I have no plans on replacing it until it becomes unusable. 

• r8rs4lf
    Options
    I don't plan on getting rid of my cracked one as it still functions like it should, but who knows if my dealer will ask for the cracked one. I'll try to keep it.