Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Kitchen-aid mixer accessories

Options
My incredible wife bought me a kitchen aid pro-600 design series mixer!!!  I now need accessories! I know I want pasta press things and a meat grinder (which one?)  What other accessories do you recommend?  We will use it primarily for bread, and deserts right away. But I really want to make the most of this investment and use it for all it's worth. So, what do you have and what do you use for your KA pro mixer?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    when you get the grinder go to ebay and get the bigger grinding plates for chunkier sausage making and for the coarser chili grind sized plates
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Do all kitchen aid accessories fit all models?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • badinfluence
    Options

No
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Capt7383
    Options
    You have three choices in grinders.
    1, the kitchenaid plastic grinder, it does ok but they will break over time plus the feed tray is tiny
    2, there is an after market metal one that is a #5 and is made primarily of aluminum and as such not dishwasher safe
    3 smokehouse chef makes an all stainless #5 grinder. I bought mine on ebay last week for $149.00 from a plAce called butcher-baker. I have used it once and am pleased with it. The feed tray is large, the knife is quality and there are many plates available I think mine came with three plates and one stuffing tube

I also have the pasta roller, its ok
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    You mentioned the two I have and use constantly, the pasta rollers and the grinder.  I have the plastic grinder, it might wear out eventually but not in my lifetime.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This may sound like a strange accessory for your new mixer, but as you will find that is a beast to lift and move around - especially if the footprint takes up too much counter space. I installed one of these spring assisted lifts to store mine away when not in use.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Capt7383
    Options
    Ditto on the lift its awesome
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    No
    I learned this the hard way.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I own the plastic meat grinder. It has not broken on me and does a good job. However, I would consider another option unless your plan is to keep meat grinding down to 5 lbs or less. I bought mine while doing sausage on a small scale and it worked great. Then I went big and ground a 20 lb batch that took over two hours. My wife's mixer got so hot that steam rolled off of it when she wiped it down. I have since put together and industrial sized mixer that will do that job in less than 10 minutes.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Since you make bread, consider the grain mill attachment so you can make your own flour.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.