Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer Recommendations

Options
Guys,
I'm looking to purchase a new thermometer and wanted to which ones you had and liked.  If you know the brand and models, please post.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    For instant read, get a Thermopen from Thermoworks.com. For a dual probe, leave it in the roast and monitor wirelessly, a. Maverick 732 or 733 (from Amazon)
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I like my Maverick for the dual, but am disappointed in the life span of the grate probe - and I have been careful with it.  Thermapen rocks, and I just bought a Thermopop, have not used it yet though
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I got my wife her own Thermopen for Christmas so I can have mine all to myself. Also got one for my son.
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Tjcoley said:

I got my wife her own Thermopen for Christmas so I can have mine all to myself. Also got one for my son.

I have two I keep to myself. The second one is set to tenths of a degree and has the auto off feature disabled.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • egger ave
    Options
    I use 3 different Thermoworks thermometers. The Chef Alarm, Thermapen and ThermoPop. They all work. I run my probe cables through apples or potatoes to protect them from open flames on the grill.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Thermoworks dual smokehouse probes and a thermo pen or pop

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    After wasting $$ on inferior thermometers, I got the Thermapen. Could not be happier!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• iyacyas
    Options
    I too have been through many different therms over the years. I now have a good set of thermo tools. I definitely recommend the Mavericks 732 or 733 to start with, so you can monitor the temp of both your meat and the EGG, don't just rely on the dome thermometer. I also recommend the Thermopen which is by far the best thermometer I have ever used. I now have a Thermoworks infrared thermometer for checking the temp of "GrillGrates" and Stones. As well as temp of everything around me. Wife doesn't like it when I take her temp, don't know why. The differences: The Thermopen allows you to get instant internal meat temps. The Mavericks allows you to monitor the temp of the EGG and meat during the cook, and you can set alarms to warn you if your EGG gets below or above desired temps and set alarm when meat gets to finished or hold temps.
  • 3Mdawg41
    Options
    Thank You for the feedback
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have a thermopen and a maverick 733 and love them both, don't know how I ever cooked without the thermopen....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I have a thermapen, thermapop and maverick 732. Pretty pleased with them. If by chance you were looking for a dome thermometer, the smokeware one is good.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle