Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chimney gasket

Options
Well it lasted 5 cooks..needed really?

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    What kind of cap are you using (DFMT or Smokeware)? Are you doing a lot of clean burns or 800℉-900℉ pizza bakes? Why did the chimney gasket fry so quick?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My XL didn't include the chimney gasket. I ended up with some extra gasket material and put it inside my ceramic cap. I'm not sure if it shuts down faster or not, never timed it. I don't think it matters.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Didn't fry..just wasn't stuck well.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Nyltiger
    Options
    Same thing happened to me after my first cook. I used some 3M adhesive and reapplied. I am not sure its necessary but I hated to have it fall off after the first cook.
    Johns Creek, GA Large BGE Weber Kettle Weber Genesis
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Instead of putting it o the Egg, I have it wrapped on the inside of the ceramic cap, that way it's a tighter fit for snuffing out the fire or makes it less prone to get fulled off with the grill cover.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    That's how I did it also; on the inside of the cap.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    never had one for ceramic or daisy, when I bought the smokeware, I installed on the inside of the cap
  • stonedog03
    Options
    My stock gasket came unstuck (from the dome) on the first cook.  I bought a smokeware SS cap and as per advice here, put the gasket on the inside of the cap.  That works awesome and the ceramic cap seems to snuff the lump fine, even without a gasket.  Of course, YMMV.
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California