Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon making - Need guidance and advice on my second attempt

Mission:
Make delicious bacon again and hone in on the profile I am going to like best, although I do not know what that is.... yet..

Why I am posting this:
My first batch was great, but was not "exactly" what I was looking for. I read, and re-read the recipes and procedures in Ruhlman's book, and on my second attempt at bacon, I am having some doubts on this batch. Why? The amount of liquid in my loosely vac pac of meat after sitting and turning every night for 1 week is significantly less this time than my first batch.  Also, the meat has not firmed up as much this time, and causes me to wonder if it is still okay - although it looks great.

Details:
I made 4 small(er) batches, all with subtle variations of what was in the rub the first time as I attempt to find exactly the flavor profile I might prefer. I tried some with thyme, garlic, pepper, and maple syrup - and some without those. I do not think that the herbs make a difference when talking about the cure (only flavor), so I am going to omit them below.

I was aiming for 2.5% Salt, and a 1.5% sugar mix, and keep the nitrite at ~150ppm.

Batch one:
Meat - 861g
Kosher Salt - 19.6g
Pink Salt (6.25%) - 2g
Dark Brn Sugar- 13g

Batch two:
Meat - 811g
Kosher Salt - 18.5
Pink Salt (6.25%) - 2g
Dark Brn Sugar- 12g

Batch three:
Meat - 1292g
Kosher Salt - 29.5
Pink Salt (6.25%) - 3g
Dark Brn Sugar- 19.5g
100% pure Grade B Maple Syrup - 2.75 tbs

Batch four:
Meat-1426
Kosher Salt - 32.5
Pink Salt (6.25%) - 3.5 g
Dark Brn Sugar- 13g
100% pure Grade B Maple Syrup - 4.5 tbs

Questions:
To those who have some experience with making bacon:
1) Think I am okay based on my measurements? As stated above, there is much less liquid (brine) than I had in my first batch.
2) Should I let it "cure" longer?  It has been 8 days as of today, and was going to rinse it tomorrow and rest it for a night. How long is too long? How short is too short?
3) After rinsed, how long can I leave it vac-packed in the fridge without freezing. The first batch I (cooked and ate) in 2 days. This is a lot more bacon.
4) If I do not have the correct salinity/pink salt measurements, will be okay if I slice and freeze it now? I would think so... but thinking is not knowing.

I am just embarking on this charcuterie journey, but I do not want to get ill early on, and if I mess up a cure, I know I can get ill. I am trying to avoid that as much as possible.
Any assistance would be appreciated. 

--------------------------------------------------
Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
....just look for the smoke!
Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 

Comments

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I've read elsewhere that wet cures take longer than dry, should go 10 days minimum.  If your nitrite to water ratio is correct, then I think you should be fine.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited December 2014
    After 10 years of making bacon on BGE I only have used High Mountain cure.  Works for me every time, butts, loin, bellies always happy.  Others mix their own but at age 70 I am lazy and forgetful.

Butts
    Pork, Butt, Bacon, Cowboy Buckboard, ALA Thirdeye, Richard Fl, #1

This project is the results of the master, Thirdeye, Wayne Nelson, Casper Wyoming.  With his great guidance and generosity of providing the Buckboard Bacon Curing package and his knowledge of the art and science of smoking various meats , the following was produced:

INGREDIENTS:
    8 Lbs. Pork, Butt, Boneless
    1 Pkg. Buckboard Bacon Cure.
    1 Pkg. Jack Daniels, Pellets
    10:50 AM Dome, 175°F, Internal 67°F. Handfull Jack Daniel Pellets
    11:50 AM Dome, 200°F, Internal 95°F. 1/4 Cup Jack Daniels Pellets
    12:25 PM Dome, 200°F. Internal 117°F
    12:53 PM 2 Hours Dome, 200°F, Internal 131°F, Rotate Grid 180*, Handfull Pellets
    1:40 PM Dome, 200°F, Internel 141°F
    2:20 PM Dome, 200°F, Internal 145°F
    2:40 PM Dome, 200°F, Internal 150°F, Pulled
    Total Cooking Time, 3 Hours, 50 Minutes

Procedure:

1. Rather than waste a lot of time retyping the great advise of Thirdeye, I will just post some pictures and some general comments. I highly recommend this to anyone wanting to make their own bacon or country ham. Best of luck. Richard

2. Butt Extended Grid:

3. Butt BGE Smoke:

4. Butt Ready For BGE--Jack Daniel Smoking Pellets:

5. Butt Starting:

6. Butt On BGE, Partial Cook:

7. Butt Just Off Grill:

8. Butt Done:

9. Butt, Cut For Bacon:

2008/12/13:

1. Butts on BGE:

2. Butts Sliced:

Recipe Type: Meat

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/10/11

Author Notes
    10/11/06:  Richard-I turned the package every day or so for 9 days in the refrigerator around 38F. -I let the bacon rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then cut thinly and froze individual pieces on wax paper.  When they were frozen, they were placed in ziploc bags.  If I had a Food Saver vacuum system, I would have used it. Thank you 
    Wayne for your generosity!!

2008/12/13:  Got a 10# butt for $.99/lb.  Cut the bone out and  cured with Hi Mountain for 10 days.  Placed in a large bowl and rinsed 2-3 times over 4 hours.  Placed in frig and next day rolled both pieces in "Indian River Pepper Blend".  Cooked with cherry wood direct@ 200-225F for 4 hours.  Pulled when internal reached 150F.  Let rest 4 hours and then sliced with slicer, about the thickness of a nickle.   Got to use my new FoodSaver 2840 for the first time and made many packages.  Placed in freezer.  Will do this again soon, may try with a loin.

2009/01/27---Thirdeye-----Most of my temps are actual (at the grate), but I have gotten pretty keen at calculating the difference between them and dome temps. 

With Buckboard, the lower you can maintain the first couple of hours is the real flavor delivery time, so go with what you can. Actually with my technique, I'm in the cooker so often adding chips, the pit temp will get zapped on it's own anyways. Like Nils mentioned, a forced draft fan is nice, especially if you are doing several batches......Regardless of the temp, I think the critical thing is to be able to drop a few chips into the coals on a regular basis. 

For the maple flavored Buckboard, I inject a 50:50 solution of good maple syrup and warm water about halfway through the rest period. (too early interferes with the equalization of liquids). Then, about a half hour before it comes off the cooker, I paint on a coat of pure maple syrup. (Richard, if you try this, use a sprinkle of that Maple sugar I sent on top of the syrup, it's a nice touch)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2009/03/15---Grandpa's Grub---

Hoss,

I'm a BB newbie and thirdeye is the king.

Which cure are you using?

If High Mountain... here are my thoughts. The cure time is probably more to do with the thickness of he meat.

I went 5 days on my tenderloin as per thirdeye's comments. That worked out great.

On my loin and Boston Butts all pretty close to 3#, some 2.5# others 3.5# I went the full 10 days, in ziplock and rotated at lest every other day sometimes every day - I wansn't too concerned.

High Mountain says the meat should not be much more than 3" thick. I didn't measure but a couple of butts were that or a little more.

I followed the amount of cure pretty close to their instructions.

If any of the cuts are 2" or less you might want to email Wayne and ask him he would know better than I.

Kent

2009/03/15---Thirdeye----

Kent, I think that sums it up pretty good. For a rough guideline I use the following:

Curing time is based on meat thickness: I use 9 or 10 days curing time on a 3 to 3-1/2 inch thick butt. About 8 days on a 2 to 2-1/2 inch thick butt. About 6 days on an average loin. About 5 days on a tenderloin.

Hoss, just remember that the amount of cure used is based on weight, and the cure time is based on thickness. I'm in the process of redesigning my homepage.....The first revision is up now. Just click on "Recipes" then you can find Buckboard in the "PORK" section.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• My first batch had almost no liquid, my second batch was swimming in liquid. I'm still alive so I guess it's fine. I would say it's easier to under cure than over, but if it's firm all over, you should be good.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Okay, thanks everyone.  I think I should be fine, especially because I am going to freeze everything that I am not going to eat right away. I hope it turns out good... at least one of the batches!

Large and MiniMax

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2014

You cannot over cure bacon. It cannot get any saltier than what is currently in the mixture. no matter what length of cure. You can definitely under cure. my rule of thumb is 7 days for every inch of thickness on the belly.  Others have their methods for length of cure, but I feel comfortable with my method, I would rather wait an extra couple of days that end up not feeling well or making those that eat my bacon to feel the same.  I have not used the pink salt method but I will be soon seeing as I just got my hands on some. I have been using MTQ for my last 2 batches.

Once it is cured and rinsed off it will last a long time in the fridge. Its cured. I wouldn't vac seal it after being rinsed as you want the pellicle to form slightly to absorb the smoke better.

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I've always gone simple with 2 weeks of curing with a flip every second day. That hasn't let me down yet.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Sea2Ski
    The one question that I did not get answered is if the salt/meat ratio is correct. Sugar is only used to sweeten and counteract some of the saltiness, correct? Is is not technically needed to cure the meat. If I am wrong, please correct me.
    Does anyone see any issue to the salt to meat ratio?
    I think I am good, but a little reassurance from strangers on the internet will make me feel better. ha ha ha...
    Large and MiniMax

• Sugar is not needed, you can put whatever you want for flavor. Bay leaf, garlic,
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    These are the resources use every time and tend to lean toward the higher end of the curing salt range.

http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/calculator/dry_cure_bacon/

http://www.diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Sea2Ski
    @Greeno55 - that is a cool site. Based on their calculations, I have it correct!  Thank you!  I think I feel better.

I think I will open the vac seal tomorrow night, and see what I have created. I hope it is some magic!
    Large and MiniMax