Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hog head plan B

Picked up my head from the butcher today and he cut the darn thing in half and threw out the snout.  I decided to go ahead and debone the meat and will smoke the meat.  What is the lighter colored meat around the cheek area?

How long should I smoke the meat for?

Thanks

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    What is the lighter colored meat around the cheek area?
    This is the best meat on a hog, the jowl meat. It's a delicacy down here in Dixie. You say that you deboned it. Is the meat still whole and intact or did you separate and steak it during the deboning?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035

I left as much of it whole as possible.  So the jowl meat is somewhat "glandy" in appearance?

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • SGH
    edited December 2014

So the jowl meat is somewhat "glandy" in appearance?

It certainly can be. This is usually more pronounced with age. Differnt breeds have differnt textured face meat as well. The jowl meat starts straight down under the eye, and extends back into the girdle of the neck. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited December 2014

I left as much of it whole as possible.  

I have always cooked whole and intact heads. Never tried it deboned. However I have some friends who have done it. Let me ask for their input and I will gladly share their technique.

Status- Standing by.

• RajunCajun
    Thank, SGH
  • SGH
    Thank, SGH
    My pleasure brother.
    Here were the suggestions. Since you have deboned it, he suggested the following. Cook the jowl meat indirect between 225-250 degrees and baste constantly. Or to cook in a shallow pan between 250-275 degrees with just a little liquid if you do not want to trouble with basting. Either way, really pour the smoke to it. It's almost impossible to over smoke jowl. Start looking at the meat around 170 degrees and see if it's to your liking. I wish that I could offer some input myself, but I have always cooked jowl on the head. Good luck my friend and I hope that this helps.

Status- Standing by.

• RajunCajun
    Sounds great.  Thanks for the input.
  • RajunCajun

Took your advice and it worked out perfectly.  The jowl meat is very tasty.  Looking forward to doing again except with a complete head.

Thanks for the help.

• If you are into curing try guanciale

Steve 

Caledon, ON