Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Halal grade meat?

Options
I have learned through this forum that the way to pick a brisket is to look for one that is flexible/floppy as it will be more tender.  Well at Restaurant Depot, they have a Halal section that includes Briskets that are the same price.  They are in a cryo-wrap, but not as tight as the regular briskets, and there is more blood/juice in the package.  But talk about floppy, these should be tender as butter if that is an indication.   I stayed the familiar route on my last Brisket and was not disappointed, but am thinking about this Halal grade stuff, at least the brisket.  

My thinking is that Halal grade has more to do with the killing, handling, and blessing, etc. than it does with the diet etc. of the cow, but maybe there is more to it.

Anybody with experience or input?
XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    They are trimmed better. They don't have all that hard fat on them. I cooked one once and it was pretty much the same as their other briskets but you don't have to trim away a couple pounds of hard fat.  I did the same thing you did when I picked it up and it went over 90 degrees I put it in my cart.
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    I was watching a Andrew Zimmern or maybe a bourdain that had a stint on a halal butcher in NYC.

They asked the guy and his wife who were the owners what made it halal.  He made is sound like where the animals were sourced and the way the were butchered is all it is.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Halal grade is some category associated with Islam.
    Think of it as the Muslim version of Kosher.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Zmokin said:

Halal grade is some category associated with Islam.
    Think of it as the Muslim version of Kosher.

Well. I guess that means there's no halal grade for pork. :)) :)) :))
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
     Arabic word halal means permissible, and the rules of slaughter are based on Islamic law. The animal has to be alive and healthy, a Muslim has to perform the slaughter in the appropriate ritual manner, and the animal's throat must be cut by a sharp knife severing the carotid artery, jugular vein and windpipe in a single swipe. Blood must be drained out of the carcass

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Lit said:
    They are trimmed better. They don't have all that hard fat on them. I cooked one once and it was pretty much the same as their other briskets but you don't have to trim away a couple pounds of hard fat.  I did the same thing you did when I picked it up and it went over 90 degrees I put it in my cart.
    Well the per lb price is the same, so at the least I guess I don't have to buy the hard fat that I would trim off anyway!  I think Ill give it a shot on the next one.

Thanks all.  When I do the cook, I will post
    Rochester, NY
  • Firemanyz
    Options
    When I was at RD the other I also looked at the halal beef. It was labeled as standard grade. I did cook some halal bottom round over the summer and did not notice any huge difference between it and the CAB that I cooked. So I say it's worth a shot.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Interesting. I've never seen a halal brisky before. If it has less hard fat than standard briskets, then its a no brainer.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Halal, kosher (insert religious mandates here). The designation is mostly about the species and how the animal is killed and ceremony.  Carrion is verboten. You can't beat an animal to death and eat it. Common sense stuff.

There are no significant quality of life and quality of food mandates that aren't covered by the FDA through current regulation.   

I'm sorry to say you're better off using the FDA grading and ignoring all the religious noise.  It's not a bad thing and it could be a good thing, if the source feeds and raises the animals in a humane and healthy manor.

Here is an interesting read: http://meat.tamu.edu/ansc-307-honors/kosher-halal/
    I knew our Jewish friends never ate meat from the hindquarter and i know why. Live and learn.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    it is just killed and handled in a certain way. heres some halal lamb being delivered in an uninsulated, unrefridgerated greasy old van to a halal meatshop near me
    :D i guess the handling part only applies to the warehouse

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    That pic will probably change a few people's minds.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Now that's scary...halal..NO THANK YOU...
    I'll stick with my local butcher.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• fishlessman
    Options
    AUCE said:
    Now that's scary...halal..NO THANK YOU... I'll stick with my local butcher.
    what was scary was the guy yelling at me as i took the pic
    :)) as for the lamb, it looks fresh, i would buy from them
    fukahwee maine

• Cookinbob
    Options
    Ha ha. I'll look again but I think the briskets were marked his choice. It will be a couple weeks before another brisket go, so I think I'll sleep on it
    Rochester, NY
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    it is just killed and handled in a certain way. heres some halal lamb being delivered in an uninsulated, unrefridgerated greasy old van to a halal meatshop near me
    :D i guess the handling part only applies to the warehouse

Thats dry aging right?
  • caliking
    Options
    AUCE said:
    Now that's scary...halal..NO THANK YOU... I'll stick with my local butcher.
    what was scary was the guy yelling at me as i took the pic
    :)) as for the lamb, it looks fresh, i would buy from them
    My thoughts exactly. Likely transported that way because it was a short trip, not coming from many states away, or even countries away.  I buy goat meat from Pakistani and Indian butchers, and none of it comes out of a cryopac. They let me walk into the cooler and will carve off whatever cut I want from the whole carcass.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I hear halal meat is the bomb... :((
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Options
    Why didn't I think of that =))
    Rochester, NY
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    lamb head cook!
  • fishlessman
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Legume said:
    lamb head cook!
    used to see lambheads in the supermarket at easter time
    :D

fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    Many years ago I worked with an older Jewish gentleman who was a millwright at a customer of mine. He explained a lot of the thinking behind the Kosher and Halal process. It makes a lot of sense if you are cutting meat in the desert. Pork was not a great idea without refrigeration at the time.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    Many years ago I worked with an older Jewish gentleman who was a millwright at a customer of mine. He explained a lot of the thinking behind the Kosher and Halal process. It makes a lot of sense if you are cutting meat in the desert. Pork was not a great idea without refrigeration at the time.
    Pork is also more likely to carry tapeworm cysts since pigs can be coprophagic (they eat poop)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Worth the risk...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @caliking‌, I met a guy that had a coprophagic problem. Not kidding
    Steven