Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Question...

2»

Comments

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    My local store carries it regularly and have enjoyed it. One of my Favs.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Good choice you will like it. If you can find it try angels envy
  • fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    As @hapster said, it's a REALLY good bourbon.  I first tried it when visiting Kentucky for work, along with numerous other high quality bourbons...this was my favorite.  I don't drink it regularly, but I do treat myself every now and then...The bartender explained it to me as Christmas in a bottle...the flavors and smoothness are great!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    The new one I found and like is Buffalo Trace. Its $19 at Sam's Club. Pretty smooth.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Capt7383 said:

Good choice you will like it. If you can find it try angels envy

You got good taste. My first bottle of Angels Envy was just because of the cool bottle now it's because I like it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Aviator
    edited December 2014
    Hap, there are 2 new, I mean brand new ones in the store from woodford in a different shaped bottle. One is called light or pale, the other straight single something, don't remember. They are both a 100$ a bottle. Have to try 'em.. Wife's b'day commin up, Its time to celebrate, right? :D

Chattanooga, TN.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I picked up another bottle of the Single barrel Double oak last week while I was in NJ... I'll keep an eye out for the others
  • DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    Larceny is a great Bourbon as well
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Dillonjm said:
    I had a glass of Blanton's Single Barrel last night, one of my favorites. Also, been really liking Angel's Envy a lot lately. Their Bourbon and Rye are pretty damn good. But, you cant go wrong with Woodford...
    +1 on Blanton's. By far my favorite. 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • hapster said:
    I picked up another bottle of the Single barrel Double oak last week while I was in NJ... I'll keep an eye out for the others
    Hap
    The liquor stores in PA have the Woodford Single Barrel Double Oak in stock. I don't know what the price is in NJ, but several stores in Chester County have it.
    I just picked up one for my wife for a xmas present at the Wyomissing/Reading store.
    Here is a list of Chester County inventory.

PLCB liquor inventory
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    hapster said:
    Hap
    The liquor stores in PA have the Woodford Single Barrel Double Oak in stock. I don't know what the price is in NJ, but several stores in Chester County have it.
    I just picked up one for my wife for a xmas present at the Wyomissing/Reading store.
    Here is a list of Chester County inventory.

PLCB liquor inventory
    Thanks... the link is for regular double oak. I can get that in the stores near me; and it is very good. The Single Barrel Double Oak was $53 in NJ at Canals, I haven't seen that in PA. I think the Canal chain bought a barrel of it, not sure PA is set up to do anything like that because of the current system
  • Hapster,  You can get it in Pa  Online Special Order  Oh just a little issue, 180 bottle min..........
    NEPA, Med egg,
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Hapster,  You can get it in Pa  Online Special Order  Oh just a little issue, 180 bottle min..........
    Group buy?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GrillinSailor
    GrillinSailor Posts: 70
    edited December 2014
    I really like the Woodford.

My go to list:
    1 Knob Crrek
    2 Woodford Reserve
    3 Makers Mark

On the rocks with a splash and a twist.
    The splash of water "opens up" the bourbon and highlights the flavored without diluting the liquor too much.

I also enjoy a perfect Manhattan on the rocks with a twist, no cherry
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Angel's Envy!  Brought to you by Woodford reserve distiller.  He distills it the same way Woodford is, but he then put's it in Port wine barrels for 6 months.   The aroma and taste (when cut with a spoon full of distilled water) is amazing!  If you can find it give it a try. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Aviator

Bucky, I looked at this Looooong but passed. Did not know the rest of the story.

I did pick up a bottle of small batch Bullit Rye whiskey. Like the rye aftertaste. So different. And its cheeeep. :) Fells like you just ate a smmich in a deli.

Chattanooga, TN.

• A buddy of mine brought that over on Thanksgiving, we must have gotten robbed at some point, because next thing we knew, the bottle was all but empty with just a swig left after football was over.  Sad day when intruders can sneak into a man's home and drink a fifth under the nose of everyone...
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • Dillonjm
    Dillonjm Posts: 229
    Aviator said:

Bucky, I looked at this Looooong but passed. Did not know the rest of the story.

I did pick up a bottle of small batch Bullit Rye whiskey. Like the rye aftertaste. So different. And its cheeeep. :) Fells like you just ate a smmich in a deli.

I love me some Rye too. I like Bulleit's Rye and Bourbon. Great bang for your buck. If you like Rye, you should try Few and Hudson's Manhattan Rye. Angel's Envy Rye is pretty good too. It's finished in a rum cask.
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • Sorry Hap, my bad. I thought it was Single barrel. I checked the bottle I got and it isn't single barrel.
    You'd think a buyer from the PLCB would've taken a junket down to Woodford to purchase a barrel or two, just to get the tour and luncheon w/ tasting.
    SE PA
  • DMW said:
    Hapster,  You can get it in Pa  Online Special Order  Oh just a little issue, 180 bottle min..........
    Group buy?

I was thinking the same thing on the drive to work this morning.

SE PA
  • Costco was recently blowing out their stock of 1.75 L Bulleit Rye small batch for $26.97 ...it was still at "7" so it wasn't the lowest price they were willing to go but I didn't wait to see if there would be any left to mark down further, got 4 of them.

Current rye's on my shelf

A Christmas present that may or may not make it till then...

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Makers, Woodford, Blanton's all very good.

My personal favorite is Angel's Envy.

Here is OH or MI - it's close to $50.00

BIL lives in Kentucky and on sale is is under $30.00 is a great deal.
    Toledo, OH

XL BGE (December 2014), 2 burner weber gas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    +1 on Four Roses, particularly if you can find a store that purchased a barrel.  In my area Four Roses single barrel is about the same price as Woodford Reserve, and IMO about 50% better. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Blanton's is my go to...

Garrison Brothers is a nice step up
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2014
    @hapster‌ -- and other bourbon aficionados.

I found this in my mom and dads liquor cabinet over 30 years ago. Possibly 50 years old or more.  It hasn't been opened. Do you know anything about this bottle? Is it rare or expensive? Maybe just a cheap bourbon. What ya think? Thanks! image
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Just got back from the liquor store. They were out of angels envy but they did have something I haven't seen before. Jeffersons Ocean, anyone had it? Was $80 a bottle so I passed and got a bottle of larceny but the guy at the store was talking the ocean up.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @TigerTony it's probably crap.  Send it to me, I'll send you a $10 Starbucks card.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    TigerTony said:
    @hapster‌ -- and other bourbon aficionados.

I found this in my mom and dads liquor cabinet over 30 years ago. Possibly 50 years old or more.  It hasn't been opened. Do you know anything about this bottle? Is it rare or expensive? Maybe just a cheap bourbon. What ya think? Thanks! image

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    @4Runner -- well that's interesting! Maybe my bottle of Old Taylor is a collectors item. I'd hate to drink it then find out it's worth more unopened.  $-)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans