Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine suggestions?

Options

I am looking to cook a hog's head on my BGE over the holidays and was thinking I would brine it for a day or so before cooking it.  Any suggestions on brine solution?  Brine time?  Etc?

Thanks

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    There was one done here over the summer. Wish I remember who it was
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @DMW‌ maybe?
    edit: might have done a small pig. There's been a few folks do pigs/hogs head on the egg. Don't recall them mentioning brine solution.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    Options

I am looking to cook a hog's head on my BGE over the holidays and was thinking I would brine it for a day or so before cooking it.  Any suggestions on brine solution?  Brine time?  Etc?

Thanks

Just my opinion but a head really doesn't benefit much from brining. If you are wanting to add additional moisture or flavor, this is one time where injecting would be the prefered method. Also injecting the jowls is much simpler and easier than trying to brine the whole head. You wont really gain or hurt anything by brining, but you sure can add a whole different flavor profile by injecting the jowls. Just my thoughts my friend. Good luck and standing by for the finale.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nope, I've never done a hog head.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Oops my bad @DMW‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited December 2014
    Options

I do Pig Heads HERE is how I do it and the brine is listed as well. Turns out great every time---Instead of foil wrap the ears and snout in Pig Skin...........remove the skin a bit before you remove the head to add some color--Foil is OK but this is far better IMO

This is one of the few things that also I will Spritz with Apple Juice throughout the cook

Best thing about brining is it will pull out some impurities if any--Last time I did two from the same place brined one the other not......brining was a big winner-----But like @SGH says injection will add some flavor..........none the less it is a great fun cook

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options

Wrapped Snout with Pig Skin

imageimageimage
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Great!  Thanks for the input.  How long did you brine it for?
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Great!  Thanks for the input.  How long did you brine it for?

Overnight boil the brine, cool with ice...it does make a difference in this case ..rinse before doing your rub
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I just showed the pics to my wife over breakfast and told her how much fun it would be to cook a pigs head on the BGE, She said I could cook it, post it on the forum and then throw it away, Guess I will stick with ribs and butt. :-)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I did a pig's head a few years ago. No brine, just some DP rubbed on the exposed meat at the back. I did baste the head in the rendered fat several times during the cook.

My wife also didn't want to look at the head. Relented some, but said she didn't want the eyes in. As soon as she smelled the roasted head, and better, had her first taste, there was no more problem.

Probably the most sumptuous pork I've ever had. My younger son commented "This is what steak aspires to be."
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    dstearn said:

I just showed the pics to my wife over breakfast and told her how much fun it would be to cook a pigs head on the BGE, She said I could cook it, post it on the forum and then throw it away,

Guess I will stick with ribs and butt. :-)

Got a similar reaction last night. "I don't want to see its face!" I guess eating something that had a face is different.
    :-\"
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I'll have to pass ... showed the thread to my wife ... she said "GROSS."  Didn't even smile at the sunglasses. Have to work a little "behinder" on the hog.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Jeepster47‌ behinder made me chuckle.
  • lkapigian
    Options

They would love my I Built A Pig Thread............That was good eating...Easy way to get a Pig on the Egg.........In Pieces and Wrapped in its own skin

I Built A Pig

:)>-
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think @bclarksicle‌ did one

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RajunCajun
    Options

Found a butcher that sold hog heads....but he never told me that he cuts them into pieces.  I was able to get two halves....not matching :)  He also cuts the snout off of them.  :(  I will make the best of the situation and still try to smoke them. 

• lkapigian
    Options

Found a butcher that sold hog heads....but he never told me that he cuts them into pieces.  I was able to get two halves....not matching :)  He also cuts the snout off of them.  :(  I will make the best of the situation and still try to smoke them. 

Snouts are one of the best, to bad he cut them off....standing by for this, it will still be great
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I just showed the pics to my wife over breakfast and told her how much fun it would be to cook a pigs head on the BGE, She said I could cook it, post it on the forum and then throw it away, Guess I will stick with ribs and butt. :-)
    I can understand that.  The other night my wife took me to a mexican restaurant that offered "other cuts", so she bought a taco for us all to share, the meat was beef tongue.

I will admit, the meat was very beefy tasty and tender, but my brain couldn't let go of the fact it was tongue and I had to fight a gag reflex swallowing it.  I know my reaction isn't rational, but hey, if the thought of it makes me gag, then it makes me gag.  Hard to enjoy something if you keep on gagging on the thought of what it is.  My wife confessed to having the same problem.  hey, at least we both gave it a try, my son liked it as well.  Maybe he will grow up with tongue being a positive thought in his head and he will eat it again in the future.  I'm getting too old to want to make the effort to learn to eat tongue and enjoy it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Had tongue on the breakfast buffet in Mexico over the summer. It reminded me of Dinty Moore beef stew. Very rich. Made everyone try it without knowing what it was and they were all fine, till they knew....
  • RajunCajun
    Options
    Had tongue on the breakfast buffet in Mexico over the summer. It reminded me of Dinty Moore beef stew. Very rich. Made everyone try it without knowing what it was and they were all fine, till they knew...
    I personally love beef tongue.  A very beautiful meat that makes the prettiest brown gravy.
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For pork I really like APL's brine. Apple Cider (enough to completely cover the cut, probably a gallon or more for your Hogs Head) 1 cup honey, 1 cup kosher salt, table spoon of clove, and a handful of all-spice berries. works great on a standing bone in pork roast.