Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where does everyone shop?

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Aviator said:

Rest of the protein, Costco.

Publix for fresh ribs. Can NEVER eat or even stand the smell of cryo ribs from anywhere. I am like a tiger, I like fresh kill for my ribs.

FWIW...my Publix gets the ribs in a cryo 3 pack that looks just like what you would buy at Costco.  They open the cry, cut them in half, then repack them. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I also keep coming back to Costco for the most consistent quality on meat and seafood. Really all their fresh meat/veggies are good.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Guess I'm lucky. I have lots of options. Part of where I shop depends on how much I'm willing to spend, or how far I'm willing to travel.

If I have the money, there are 3 butcher shops in the county. If I have the time and money, there are three in adjacent counties. Half the shops make their own sausage, and its well worth going to them to stock up. Three out of the six have their own direct connection to farms.

Fish and seafood is harder. I'm in the midwest, and the river and lake fisheries haven't produced much for decades. There are 2 places that stock salmon and trout from lakes Superior and Huron. Quite expensive, and they often sell out. The next best place is an Asian grocery that gets live crab once a week, and fresh shrimp.

Otherwise, the selection at the "flagship" stores of the national and regional chains, such as Kroger's, have the best. I'm told that the Sam's club on the other side of the county employs the person who used to be the head of the meat dept. at the biggest area chain, and that the quality there is better than the Costco that opened up recently. Haven't tried WholeFood$ yet.

I do order online sometimes. The problem w. that is the shipping may cost almost as much as the food. And if its not winter, the food may end up sitting on my porch defrosting if I or my wife is  not at home when it is delivered.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Most of my meat comes from that little boutique meat market named Costco.  It's about a 20 minute drive, but there's nothing better than going in and spending the king's ransom (but really stocking up).  The quality is much better (for the most part) than our local grocery stores.  I live in an agriculture area, and fresh produce is usually available.  There's a farmer's market almost every day within 20 minutes drive.  We have a local butcher shop that sometimes has some nice cuts at a reasonable price.  And of course, there's also Whole Paycheck, er, Foods.  I like their produce, and sometimes they have really nice meat for a whole lot of dinero.  Yesterday I made my first foray to RD, and it was very interesting.  I'll see if I can find the old RD post and elaborate on my experience there.  It's a great place to shop when you REALLY want to load up...
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Costco for beef and bb ribs and some seafood (not a fan of the anemic farmed salmon there).  Sams primarily for bone-in butts and HEB for smaller buys, wings, seafood.  Just joined KCBS so I can check out RD, I'm sure I'll end up splitting some larger buys there with friends.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Anyone use lobels.com ?

XLBGE 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Locally I buy at BJs, Costco, and Stauffers. Once in a while at Shady Maple but they have started stocking mostly USDA Select cuts.  If I'm in the Philly or Baltimore area, I buy at Restaurant Depot.

@Aviator mentioned Publix for fresh (not cryovac) meat. Are you sure Publix doesn't get their cuts in Cryovac?  We don't have any near us, but most markets get cryovaced meats and open/trim them themselves. Very few markets these days get fresh sides of beef for cutting.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @caliking‌ I've been looking for scallops everywhere's!! And a good piece of fresh salmon would be awesome. I've ordered it at nice places twice lately and still haven't gotten a good cut :((
    I just bought the biggest scallops I ever saw (under 10 per lb) at $8.49/lb @ Restaurant Depot. Had to buy 5 lbs, but where's the problem.  Also scored 16-20 ct raw shrimp P&D for $9.00 per lb. Just to make ya Jealous, here's a bag of 8 scallops weighing in at 14 oz.  I'm going to cook the first batch on a Himalayan salt plate on my small, probably next Monday.

RD is awesome.  Make friends with somebody who can get a card - any business owner can do it.
    FWIW, I also buy brisket ($3.94/lb) and pork belly ($1.96/lb) there, they even sell RO lump.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Wow! those are big scallops.

@Legume and @Aviator - Sam's is 5mins from where I live. Methinks I  should go check it out.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

caliking said:

@Legume and @Aviator - Sam's is 5mins from where I live. Methinks I  should go check it out.

We keep both memberships, really don't need to, but there are a few items we like from there better.  If you ever buy crumbled blue cheese - the tub from Sam's is better quality and a better deal than the pouch at Costco.  They've also had more basic kitchen stuff in the past - like jelly roll pans, but Costco seems to be stocking more of that lately.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    caliking said:

We have a SAMs membership through my in laws bizz, and there is going to be one in town after our move.

XLBGE 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Winn Dixie Piggly 
    Wiggly Rouses (one of my favorites) 
    Walmart 
    SAMs Club 
    Butchers Block 
    Quality Seafood & Poultry (outstanding seafood and chicken)
     Restaraunt Depot (a ass kicking machine without question or doubt)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Costco, Costco, and Costco (as others have mentioned)
    South SLO County
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

I priced bone in butts at Sam's club and they were close to $2.50 a pound the other day. Today at RD they were $1.68lb for doubles and $1.44 case price.

That is as cheap as I have seen them in a long time. I like the bone in so I never price them at Costco.

BTW the two I bought were almost 23lbs, I've never see them that big at Sam's Club. Instead of doing three I will probably be able get by with just the two.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I will shop anywhere except Wally-World and the related Sam's Club.  I do not like their business model (although hard to argue with success) and am glad I have other options.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.