Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Turkey! - Cooking Suggestions

Options

What's up guys.  Planning to inject my turkey with some Cajun butter and cook in a turkey roaster.  Planned to go about 375.  Should I go indirect or raised direct?  Going to let it dry out in fridge the day before to hopefully dry out skin for crispiness.  I know that works great when doing spatchcock.  Is 375 about right for dome temp? Grid Temp? Also thoughts about direct or indirect?

Thanks!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    *bump*

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Your temp sounds fine and I'd go indirect.

have you considered spatchcock?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    If you're cooking it in a turkey roaster, you're cooking it indirect by definition.  I think you sound like you're on the right track - I'd put the plate setter legs up, then the grid, then your turkey in its roasting pan.  (I don't have a turkey roaster for the egg, so I throw the turkey right on the grid, with a drip pan on the platesetter.)   I like to start with some liquid in the pan just to be sure the drippings don't scorch.  375 range is good.  I can't comment on the injection, never done it, but it sounds delicious to me.  I'm hoping to throw a turkey on at Xmas, maybe I'll try injecting, as well.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

Well last year I did plate setter in and it turned out great.  Just didn't get crispy skin (it was also before I learned the drying it out in fridge trick).  I just didn't know if I didn't do plate setter and raised grid would it get to hot and try to burn on the bottom.

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    I did my first one for Thanksgiving and it turned out really well. 12 lb spatchcocked  bird, 2 oz injection per breast and 1.5 ox per thigh with rub. Cooked at 375 dome for 2 hours w/ 2 chunks of apple wood for smoke. Next time will use rub under the skin and perhaps 1 more chunk of apple. Guests said it was the best turkey they ever had.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Sorry! Forgot!! Cooked indirect with plate setter with drip pan. make sure you raise the drip pan, otherwise you will have one burned mess like I did!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want