Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Asking for trouble?

Options
My last cook was a couple days ago.  When I took the food off the LBGE I removed the cast daisy wheel top, set in on the concrete patio, and placed the ceramic dome cap on the egg.  Fast-forward to today. This morning I awoke to a couple inches of snow.  I seem to do this on a regular basis...leave the cast exposed to rain (or snow).  Am I asking for trouble?
Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Nah.....  Hit it with a wire brush to knock off the funk, coat it with oil or cooking spray and toss it in the egg after the next cook......

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    It depends on how OCD you are. Some don't care how rusty it gets, some season theirs like a skillet.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Some of us hardly ever use it. Mine is shoved away in a cabinet for the occasional low and slow. And I'm not even sure I need it for that.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    You could get the SS chimney cap and not worry about the daisy wheel or the ceramic cap any longer.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Mine stays on full time.  I see no reason for the ceramic top.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    After every cook, while the egg is still hot I place the daisy wheel inside the egg and put the ceramic cap back on top.
    No problems here.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    The uglier the better in my book.  Mine is all gunked up but that is experience and seasoning.    :D
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site