Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Pork Beer - 1st Attempt (epic)

Options
First I have to thank all of you for the wealth of information, experience and detail that you provide on this forum.  Having my XL Egg now for over 1.5 years (which I received as a gift from my wife [she's awesome]) and this begin my first post, I've unfortunately, but fortunately, been lurking, reading and absorbing as much as possible for all of this time.  I've learned so much from this forum and continue to learn. 

So, my buddy and I have been home brewing for a while and we finally pulled the trigger on brewing a smoked pork beer.  There was at least 2 months of planning and testing with respect to how much wood, grain, temperature, when to put the grain on the egg after enough fat has rendered and you begin to smell the pork and how to contain all of the grain.  Then came the actual beer recipe which is an all-grain and consisted of 11lbs of a variety of grains.  I handled the smoking aspect and my friend handled the beer recipe.

Originally, we were going to do this all in one day but soon realized that may not be too realistic.  Since I've had the egg, I've done many of marathon cooks, etc... but this was definitely an epic battle both on the egg as well as brew day. 

Here is what happened on the day we smoked the grains.  Mind you this, it was a weekday.
We decided to do 3 racks of baby back ribs.  I made the rub which consisted of salt, granulated garlic, white pepper, paprika and a little brown sugar and seasoned the ribs after I lit the egg.
 - 4pm light the egg and stabilize @ 200F.
 - 5pm put plate setter and drip pan in and stabilize @ 200F
 - 5:45p - put cherry wood in (the cherry is from our produce farm = good stuff)
 - 6p - put ribs on
 - head over to friend's house, pick up some tools, go to Lowes to pick up material then head back to my house.
 - fabricate box to hold grains.
 - 8p - put first batch of grains on = ~5.5lbs
 - Coat grains with apple juice a couple of times over the course of 1.5hrs.
 - 9:30p - pull grains out and set aside.
 - At this point we felt the grains were too subtle so we decided to hit the next batch with a lot of cherry smoke.  We took everything out and placed a big cherry log in, put the platesetter and drip pan and let it settle a bit.  Then put the ribs back on.
 - 10p - put second batch of grains on.
 - Coat grains with apple juice a couple of times over the course of 2hrs
 - 11:30p - too hungry to wait, so we pulled the ribs and devoured a rack like savages within a few minutes.  They were delicious and had some grains coating them, but probably could've use a little more time because of the low temp we were at. Either way, they were slammin'.
 - 12a - pulled second batch of grains off.
 - Shutdown the egg.

The house smelled terrific.  My wife thought I had made breakfast the next morning when we were getting ready for work, but it was the grains that i had drying out on the counter.

We brewed at my buddy's house a couple of days later and his house smelled fantastic where the smell lingered for almost a total week.  His wife was not too happy, but he sure was.

Now, we are in the second fermentation stage and decided to dry hop because we really went all in and smoked 100% of the grain.  Definitely too much, but this is a great start and not the last time we will be doing this.

I know the post is long, so I do apologize about that.  This was definitely one of my most epic battles on the egg and post egg as well.  Thanks again to you since you have taught me so much about this amazing cooker!  The last pic shows how much lump is left over and just how large the piece of cherry wood is that we put in for the second batch of grains.

Comments

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    First off, welcome, secondly, major points for incorporating BGE's, brewing, and a great rib post all in one. Golf Clap.
    =D> :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's a super weird yet awesome cook!  Let us know how it turns out.
    Options
    Welcome and please post more. Looks like you've got a lot to add to this forum! \m/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    It feels weird to say welcome since you've been a member on the forum longer than me, but I will say that was a phenomenal first post. Keep posting...like @Jeremiah‌ said, you've got a lot to add to this forum. :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Interesting read and cook..Sounds like it was a lot of fun...Looking forward to the next one..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. I'll be watching this closely. I helped my neighbor build his electric brew kettle setup and we've be talking about a smoked beer.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Very happy to see you smoked the grains along with the pork - I was slightly terrified when I saw the title that you were going to dump a bunch of pulled pork into the fermentation - that would've made for some interesting pics but probably some gawd awful beer!

Very creative - love the post and looking forward to hearing about the final product.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Very cool, looking forward to hearing how it turns out.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,843
    Options
    Can we assume that you'll be bringing some of that beer to Salado?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Wasn't quite what I was expecting.  Thought you were going to put the grains under the ribs to absorb some of the drippings.  Oh well, still looks great!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    That was an epic first post! Like @Legume‌ I was worried what I was going to see you do to some poor unsuspecting beer. Don't be shy, post some more!
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement to post more and for the positive feedback.!

Wasn't quite what I was expecting.  Thought you were going to put the grains under the ribs to absorb some of the drippings.  Oh well, still looks great!

Placing the grains under the ribs would be awesome but the problem is that there would be a lot of fat in the beer requiring a lot of filtering to take place. Even with this setup there was a slight film on top when we went to transfer to the secondary fermenter.

Next time we'll smoke a lesser percentage of grain as opposed 100%. The smokiness should mellow out over time, especially once we bottle and let it condition for a while. I will definitely keep you guys posted.

• mmiladinov
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Can we assume that you'll be bringing some of that beer to Salado?

I may just have to plan a family trip....
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    Here's what it looked like while brewing.
  • mmiladinov
    Options
    Update. ... result is a good failure. ..

we dry hopped the brew after transferring to the secondary fermenter. Went to bottle on Friday but we made the decision not to bottle any of it after tasting and checking the final specific gravity. The result was essentially a 2.5% abv smoked beverage. It's ok. We documented our steps and know how to dial some things back and make sure we can do some basic math.

On to the next batch. ..