Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leftover Pulled Pork = Egg Rolls!

Options
First time trying these out after seeing other people on here get great results. Best egg rolls I've ever had!

Ingredients:

First, lay out a wrapper flat like so and wet the top edges with a little warm water. This will help seal the egg roll after it is filled and rolled:

Next, add the pork and cole slaw together in a little pile more towards the bottom than the middle of the wrapper. Fold the bottom over the pile, then the two sides together in the middle:

Then just roll the rest of the egg roll up and place it with the fold down while the fryer gets hot:

Once the oil is heated to around 350 degrees, throw them in!

When the bottom looks like it's golden brown, flip them over. Continue cooking until both sides are brown:

When done, put them on a paper towel to dry for a few minutes. Served with some duck sauce! Might have been the first time, but not the last!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    That does look incredibly delicious.....Fantastic post.. =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Thanks for the details. I want to try these.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    That does look incredibly delicious.....Fantastic post.. =D>
    Thank you sir! I'd eat em for breakfast!
    Cumming, GA  

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    OK.  It's on the list.  Thanks for the great pics and step by step instructions.  I'm now convinced I can do this.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fence0407
    Options
    Thanks for the details. I want to try these.
    No problem - was hoping it would help someone out. You're gonna love them I promise.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    OK.  It's on the list.  Thanks for the great pics and step by step instructions.  I'm now convinced I can do this.
    I was hesitant at first too, but it's a lot easier than I thought it'd be. There are step by step instructions on the back of the wrapper package in case you get lost. Do it!
    Cumming, GA  

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    They look great and thanks for the tutorial!  

Did you mix anything with the slaw, or did you serve it "neat"? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    You are on a roll Mark. Those look great! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fence0407
    Options
    They look great and thanks for the tutorial!  

Did you mix anything with the slaw, or did you serve it "neat"? 
    Thanks! I served it neat this time - slaw and pork. I've seen it be much more involved than what I did, but they still turned out good. 
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    You are on a roll Mark. Those look great! 
    I see what you did there ;) 

Thanks John!
    Cumming, GA  

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    :-bd

Careful, they can be addicting. :D

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    Options
    DMW said:
    :-bd

Careful, they can be addicting. :D

You are responsible for the addiction!  ^:)^
    Cumming, GA  

• Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Damn that looks good. I have wontons at the house and pork in the freezer. Looks like this is coming soon to my house. Thanks!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • DMW
    Options
    I hold @travisstrick responsible. I've been doing these with leftover anything now. Both brisket and pork chops work great. One thing to keep in mind is what type of rub you used on the meat if you add anything to the slaw mix. You want the flavor profiles to complement each other.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fence0407
    Options
    Damn that looks good. I have wontons at the house and pork in the freezer. Looks like this is coming soon to my house. Thanks!
    You are quite welcome! Pics or it didn't happen :D
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    DMW said:
    I hold @travisstrick responsible. I've been doing these with leftover anything now. Both brisket and pork chops work great. One thing to keep in mind is what type of rub you used on the meat if you add anything to the slaw mix. You want the flavor profiles to complement each other.
    Then I too will blame Travis. Yeah I was interested to see how the pork would taste. I used Bad Byron's on the pork. My wife makes a killer broccoli slaw that has a sweet dressing on it. It is something I normally have with PP, so I bet it'd be great in an egg roll. That will be my next adventure.
    Cumming, GA  

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks awesome. Thanks for the details. Other than not making it to wet anything special about the slaw?
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • fence0407
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    Looks awesome. Thanks for the details. Other than not making it to wet anything special about the slaw?
    You're welcome - nothing special with the slaw. I just took some from the bag and mixed in some pork. 
    Cumming, GA  

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    DMW said:
    Then I too will blame Travis. Yeah I was interested to see how the pork would taste. I used Bad Byron's on the pork. My wife makes a killer broccoli slaw that has a sweet dressing on it. It is something I normally have with PP, so I bet it'd be great in an egg roll. That will be my next adventure.
    Actually if you look at Travis' post he traces the blame to @NibblemeThis

...who in turn traces the blame back tot he Rib Shack in Perdito Key, FL. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i could see making a huge batch and freezing those, wonder how many rolls you could get from a butt.  looks like im getting takeout today
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DMW
    Options
    i could see making a huge batch and freezing those, wonder how many rolls you could get from a butt.  looks like im getting takeout today
    I did 60 (30 pulled pork, 30 brisket) for a party ahead of time and froze them. Dropped them in the fryer frozen and worked perfectly. I was able to fry a batch of 30 at a time using an outdoor fryer and big stock pot.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• fence0407
    Options
    DMW said:
    I did 60 (30 pulled pork, 30 brisket) for a party ahead of time and froze them. Dropped them in the fryer frozen and worked perfectly. I was able to fry a batch of 30 at a time using an outdoor fryer and big stock pot.

This is a great idea for apps that could be made ahead of time. Thanks for the info!
    Cumming, GA  

• Black_Badger
    Options
    I make these all the time, they are one of my go to recipes for pulled pork leftovers. Love 'em!

Great thread going here, congrats to the OP. Two contributions I thought might be worthwhile:

1) Try putting a slice of crisp pickle in with the filling. I use a spicy Clausen that adds a TON of  flavor. It's a small change but makes something great even better.

2) These can be baked as well, but they're not quite as delicious. The ones I've baked a brushed lightly with a 10:1 mix of avocado oil and sesame oil, then popped them in at 375 until golden. They're still crunchy and tasty, but just not quite the same. I always dust mine with a bit of rub right after cooking.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • fence0407
    Options
    I make these all the time, they are one of my go to recipes for pulled pork leftovers. Love 'em!

Great thread going here, congrats to the OP. Two contributions I thought might be worthwhile:

1) Try putting a slice of crisp pickle in with the filling. I use a spicy Clausen that adds a TON of  flavor. It's a small change but makes something great even better.

2) These can be baked as well, but they're not quite as delicious. The ones I've baked a brushed lightly with a 10:1 mix of avocado oil and sesame oil, then popped them in at 375 until golden. They're still crunchy and tasty, but just not quite the same. I always dust mine with a bit of rub right after cooking.

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Thank you for the suggestions! I would never have thought of putting a pickle in there. I debated baking them but decided to fry instead for my first try. What sort of rub do you dust them with?
    Cumming, GA  

• mgillia
    Options
    Did you use peanut oil?  And how do you keep them from getting soggy, before serving?  I make lumpia which are awesome and crunchy if eaten right away but if left for any amount of time they get soggy.

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• fence0407
    Options
    mgillia said:
    Did you use peanut oil?  And how do you keep them from getting soggy, before serving?  I make lumpia which are awesome and crunchy if eaten right away but if left for any amount of time they get soggy.
    I used vegetable oil this time. I might give peanut oil a try next time though. I put them on a paper towel to dry after they come out of the fryer. The two I ate last night were crispy. I will have to try the other two that are in the fridge to see if they're crispy or not.
    Cumming, GA  

• DMW
    Options
    fence0407 said:

mgillia said:

I used vegetable oil this time. I might give peanut oil a try next time though. I put them on a paper towel to dry after they come out of the fryer. The two I ate last night were crispy. I will have to try the other two that are in the fridge to see if they're crispy or not.

Use a toaster oven to reheat. About 350* and turn several times. Best to use a rack in the tray if you have one.

Microwave will make them soggy.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• mgillia
    Options

Right Arm!  Thanks.

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• fence0407
    Options
    DMW said:
    mgillia said:
    Use a toaster oven to reheat. About 350* and turn several times. Best to use a rack in the tray if you have one. Microwave will make them soggy.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Cumming, GA