Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way low and slow suggestions using small and large?

Options
I have seen setups for piping heat and smoke from one egg to another. I am wanting to smoke summer sausage around 150-160. I have a small and a large. Anyone have good explanation of setup to burn in one and push heat to the other?
LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
Columbus IN

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You can either get a device like an A-maze-n smoker or a short run of dryer venting connecting the small's dome to the large's intake. Many do this for cold smoking and if the temp runs high they just add a pan of ice to the "smoking chamber" egg. Hot smoking shouldn't be an issue.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Thanks @Eggcelsior. Using the dryer vent method, is there any science to attaching to the intake of the large? Do they just shove it in? Man that sounds like a bad joke waiting to happen.
    Columbus IN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    coffee can with holes punched in it sittin in the large, use preburnt lump will do what you want, no need for 2 eggs for those temps.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Great. Thanks I will try the coffee can first and then if I fail with that I will go the dryer vent route. I have the ANS but I don't think I could really build much heat with that. I suppose I could bring it up higher in the dome and get more direct heat off of it. Maybe I will try that too. Thanks for all the ideas.
    Columbus IN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Great. Thanks I will try the coffee can first and then if I fail with that I will go the dryer vent route. I have the ANS but I don't think I could really build much heat with that. I suppose I could bring it up higher in the dome and get more direct heat off of it. Maybe I will try that too. Thanks for all the ideas.
    Yeah, I don't think you could get enough heat with just the AMNPS. If you have a temp controller, that would be easiest with a small fire/coffee can.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    I don't have a temp controller. Yet. I will hope for decent control manually and just stay right on top of it. I can at least keep an eye on it with the Maverick from indoors.
    Columbus IN
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the temps spike everytime you open the dome so you need to avoid that as much as possible when cooking at these temps and use the smallest pieces of pre used lump from the last cook, its easier to keep small pieces lit with this small of a fire
    fukahwee maine

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    Coffee can method will get the right amount of heat.  I've had people use a half grid setup like doing indirect in the old kettles....  Then they kept a water pan under the item to be smoked to temp assistance.  If it got too hot, they'd add ice to the water to cool things down.  They also used pellets in the coffee can for their smoke source on top of a very neutral, pre-burned lump.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you don't mind, I'm jumping into this conversation.  I don't have an Amaze N Smoker; (I know, why not?).  Do you think I could cold smoke with the coffee can method and an ice pan?  Maybe I don't need the ice.  It's not getting above the 50's for highs around here now.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

the only problem with true cold smoking stuff like butter and cheeses is that you must stay below like 80 degrees ambient temperature in the smoking chamber.  Eggs, as we know, are very thermodynamically efficient.  Anything burning will generate heat and all that ceramic will be holding that heat in and that chamber will get higher and higher.....

This method that we have been talking about is more like a warm smoking at 150-160+.  True cold smoking is below 80 degrees.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fishlessman
    Options
    500 said:
    If you don't mind, I'm jumping into this conversation.  I don't have an Amaze N Smoker; (I know, why not?).  Do you think I could cold smoke with the coffee can method and an ice pan?  Maybe I don't need the ice.  It's not getting above the 50's for highs around here now.
    dryer vent off the dome into a cardboard box with your oven racks inside. make the dryer vent long. its a simple setup on colder days.
    fukahwee maine