Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Allow myself to introduce... myself.

Options
2»

Comments

• Mama Roneck
    Options
    Welcome Jints fan!
    Mamaroneck
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I recommend using a chimney to start your egg, by far best method because it's the method I use.
  • MrWilliams
    Options

BYS1981 said:
    I recommend using a chimney to start your egg, by far best method because it's the method I use.

Thanks

I have a chimney and will give it a try.  Couple of questions:

1. I don't mean it in a negative way but I find it strange that so many people use premade rubs.  With all time people put into making all the great dishes on this site I just was surprised.  Anyhow, i will be buying some of the rubs i have read about.

2. How come there is no forum for gear?  I know its not everyone's thing but obsessing over gear is part of the fun for me.

3. I'm not sure how to use the "@" symbol i.e. @MrWilliams.

4. Do people cover the place setters to keep them clean.  If so what is the method?

Thanks

Bill

XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @MrWilliams -- The @ symbol before someones screen name gives them a notification. If you click on your screen name under "my profile" you will see your notifications. 

I never make my own rubs, I enjoy trying and using the store bought brands. Some really great ones out there.

I do cover my plate-setter with foil and use a drip pan when necessary. I see some really experienced cooks on this forum not covering their pans or stones, I for the life of me don't understand why. But I'm a very neat person when it comes to keeping "my stuff" clean and in good condition. So yes cover your plate-setter.

I highly recommend using a Map gas torch for lighting your egg. Easy and fast!
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Make sure you buy heavy duty aluminum foil and put an air gap underneath the drip pan. I use copper ts for this, but you can use foil balls.

+1 on MAPP torch
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hey Welcome @MrWilliams.  I was doing the same with a cheapo chinese propane smoker up until about 2 months ago with limited mundane results.

I'v found this place a plethora of great info and really helpful good cooks and Q'rs 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • MrWilliams
    Options
    Make sure you buy heavy duty aluminum foil and put an air gap underneath the drip pan. I use copper ts for this, but you can use foil balls.

+1 on MAPP torch

Does it need to be MAPP?  I have a bernzomatic torch I use for minor plumming work around the house but i think its propane.  Can I use that?
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You can, MAPP is just hotter and will light faster. Try it and see if you like it. If not, you already have a method you like.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Welcome from another new egg owner
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice to have another Giants fan in the forum.  The egg has given me alot more pleasure on Sundays than that team.  Esp. living in the Philly media market.

Looking forward to your posts.  And better football from NY in 2015.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Willkommen

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Welcome aboard! I also have an XL. For low and slows I have been using the DigiQ DX2. My method is to load up the lump to the top of the fire ring, Light a starter cube and let it go for 4 minutes. Then start the DIgi Q , close the lid let the fan slowly ramp up the temp. I must admit, I have not mastered controlling the temp manually as I have very consistent results with the Digi.
  • MrWilliams
    Options
    Willkommen

Dankeschön

Hang in there @HenersonTRKing, 2015 is going to be a much better year!!

Thanks for the advice @dstearn.  A DigiQ is not in the budget for a while - going to get a decent thermometer and give it my best shot.

XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Willkommen

Dankeschön

Hang in there @HenersonTRKing, 2015 is going to be a much better year!!

Thanks for the advice @dstearn.  A DigiQ is not in the budget for a while - going to get a decent thermometer and give it my best shot.

Understood, highly recommend the Therapen for IT temps. Calibrate your dome themo as well.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Welcome.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• GATraveller
    Options
    I'd have to agree on the Thermapen (or other reliable thermometer).  I was at my buddies house last night for dinner.  He pulled the beef tenderloin out of the oven and cut the thing in half to see if it was done......I just about had a stroke!!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • MrWilliams
    Options

@dstearn I checked out the thermopens and I was thinking I need a thermometer that stays in the meat the entire cook like the Maverick thermometers so I don't have to open the lid.  Am I right that i should not open the lid?

XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Depends on what you are cooking.  "If you're lookin, you ain't cookin" is the saying.  Not a problem unless you keep the lid up more than down with a cooker this size IMO.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Depends on what you are cooking.  "If you're lookin, you ain't cookin" is the saying.  Not a problem unless you keep the lid up more than down with a cooker this size IMO.  
    You release a bubble of heat, and introduce O2 when you lift the lid.  Not a problem for hamburgers, big problem when you are trying to hold 180 for 2 hours to smoke salmon.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Welcome!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @MrWilliams-with the after-market thermos there are two basic types as you note: one that is there for the duration of the cook (most likely a low& slow) and one best served in the hot&fast environment.  The thermapen is an instant read that is best suited for hot&fast or at the finish-line of a low&slow just to make sure of what you have.  
    The Maverick's or any other thermo that can stay in the BGE are best suited for monitoring throughout the cook which can last  many hours.  The external and/or remote option does preclude the need to open the BGE-but sometimes the aroma drives you to give it a look:).
    Two different needs and two different instruments.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MrWilliams
    Options

Just to sum up my first couple of weeks as a noob with an egg and end this post.  So far I have made ribs 3 times, pizza 3 times and chicken legs a few times and shrimp twice.  Everything has been awesome!!  And I have only sustained minor injuries: burnt hair off left hand and burnt right fingers on daisy wheel. Looking forward to trying new things.  Couple of successes attached...

imageimageimage
    XL BGE & Mini - CT USA
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome.you will love the x-large