Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No Beans, No Egg Still Good

Options
2»

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks again, Hotch. I'm not sure what beef I'll use. I've never seen or even heard of chuck tenders. Pics make it look fairly lean though. I do have a HUGE (almost 6 lb) eye round defrosting at the moment. Was trying to decide what to do with it. A long braise might be just the thing. I think I'll lop off a couple of lbs for some chili.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    You gonna put that over pasta? :D
    Then it would be called CINcinnati Chili.  And with beans makes it a 5-way.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Boom!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I've been to Cincinnati many times, though it has been years. Never tried chili there. Hard to imagine this...image

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I need to type faster. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    Texas "red" is ok but New Mexico red is the best!!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I like to make my chili in a crock pot.
    And as i don't like the meat to have the texture of partially digested meat from sitting in the tomato acid environment for hours upon hours, I don't add the meat until 60-90 minutes before it's going to be served.  But as I brown the meat and throw it in hot, it doesn't drop the temp of the chili as it goes in.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@Carolina_Q Round will do well. I like the flavor of chuck so I use it in my chili. Both can be a tough meat so they both lend well to a long cook for chili. Let me know how you like it.

One thing I changed is I swapped a little of the paprika with smoked paprika. Brings a nice smoky flavor to the chili.

@yogi84 I never have tried New Mexico Red. I will check it.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hotch, I have never used serranos. I see they are a bit on the hot side so I may use only one. If I can find them. Chili selection in these parts is pretty slim.  I have arbols and chipotles and some milder chilis (ancho, guajillo, New Mexico). Hopefully i can find the serranos.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    If anyone happens on this old thread and wants to try the scratch Cin Chili linked above, that link is broken. Here's another link, same recipe. It is awesome!!

http://www.chilicookin.com/Recipes/CASI/TICC1992.htm

Michael 
    Central Connecticut