Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lump leftovers waste not....

Options
Ok I might be stating the obvious..but what does everyone do with the little pieces of lump. Pile it on the top for simple cooks? Burgers etc. .I personally do this..I am a noob and this may tear the staunch fabric of thinking.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Someone on the forum mentioned that they bought 2 orange buckets from Home Depot and drilled holes in the bottom of one ( looked like about half inch holes), then placed the one with holes into the other one and filtered the ash from the smaller lump to use again...Sounded like a decent idea..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Do? When they get small enough to fall through the fire grate, I scrape 'em out with the ashes. Until then, I just dump more lump on top when I need to. Never sort or filter. Lump is enough of a PITA without making it worse.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I eat them when I fear I've been poisoned. That or just dump on top of a fresh pile of lump.
    Options
    I had considered using my BGE as in income source cremating small pets and thought it could be useful. Ashes to ashes.

• ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
    HAHAHAHA... you dont want to cook on the egg and be burning someone else pet on it... unless this is the main reason you bought it... anyways, that would be interesting.
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I use what ever is in the bag. Whether lump is the size of a football or dust, BTUs are BTUs. The dust does typically wind up on the top for me. 
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    ekuapa said:
    HAHAHAHA... you dont want to cook on the egg and be burning someone else pet on it... unless this is the main reason you bought it... anyways, that would be interesting.
    One gets hungry cremating...Dual purpose...roast a weiner while roasting a weiner dog

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    I use what ever is in the bag. Whether lump is the size of a football or dust, BTUs are BTUs. The dust does typically wind up on the top for me. 
    Agreed...It's just low as slow where it will cost you burn time.. Its a great way to heat her up..

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hmmm ... I must be doing something wrong ... the dust typically winds up ON ME.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I usually save some of the smaller pieces from my large egg for when the mini needs lump. Either way, no lump is left behind.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I use it in the MM unless I'm doing a L&S in the Max then I'll put a couple big pieces in and the rest I'll go with the little pieces. It all burns regardless.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    I will reuse lump once in the Egg, anything left after that goes in a bucket and I use it in my Chimney Starter............Overnighters always get a Fresh "Load" along with pulling out the fire box and cleaning..........Lump such a low cost in the big scheme of things
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
    AUCE said:
    ekuapa said:
    One gets hungry cremating...Dual purpose...roast a weiner while roasting a weiner dog
    True, true...
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I remove the small pieces and use them in my fire pit. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's