Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Brisket time per pound?

WinoWino Posts: 69
edited 10:23PM in EggHead Forum
What is the general rule for time per pound for a flat brisket.[p]Cooking one up for my Steelers.
Wino

Comments

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,000
    Wino,
    an 8 pound flat takes me about 12-14 hoursat about 220 degrees

• WinoWino Posts: 69
    fishlessman,
    So about an hour and a half per pound. Do you think it would be less for a smaller brisket?
    Thanks
    Wino

• fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 19,000
    Wino,
    i wouldnt apply an hour per pound rule to it, from what ive seen on the forum over the years, they will take longer than what you would think with a smaller brisket. even the small ones need a long time to to cook. it may take 2 to 2.5 hours per pound for a 4 pounder. with the brisket flats, you will have better results with a larger piece, make sure its atleast a choice cut.IMO

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,394
    Howdy Wino.
    Hour per pound numbers don't work well with brisket. I have found it to be more like this when cooking at 225-250 dome[p]4-5 pound flat - 10 hours
    6-7 pound flat - 12 hours
    10-12 pound brisket 16 hours
    12 + about 18 hours[p]Just a guideine though, as each situation is unique.
    Have fun, and allow plenty of extra time for a rest in the cooler!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • Nature Boy,
    Have not done a brisket yet. What's the purpse of resting in a cooler? Thx

Howdy Ironbaugh, Well, seems like cooking a tender brisket is a tightrope balance between tender/tough and moist/dry. Resting in the cooler allows you to continue the cooking/rendering process for several hours with no moisture loss. Drbbq has been talking about this for years, and it just seems to help create a better product.[p]Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy, What internal temp do you cook your briskets to?

Matt in the STL,
    Somewhere between 175 and 200 usually. From what I can tell, there is no magic number. When it is tender it's done...or at least ready for a rest.[p]I'd say on the average, about 190.
    Beers
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com