Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O/T-Scotland/Ireland or Iceland?

Options
2»

Comments

• jeroldharter
    Options
    These are completely different trips. Iceland is one of the most beautifully scenic places on earth and is great for nature lovers and photographers. It is also remote and expensive.

Ireland/Scotland is pretty but not in the same league for natural scenery. More to do for the kid, better food, less expensive. 

You might consider doing both meaning Iceland and the UK. If memory serves me, some Icelandair flights are routed through London so you might choose a stopover there if you have 2 weeks.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    I'm Irish but I still feel like this is a no-brainer.  Scotland/Ireland all the way!  Have a blast!
    see your in Okinawa - great seafood at Sam's by the sea and kobe steak houses there are the bomb!  We always stayed at the Sunrise hotel or Holiday Inn.  Have fun!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• bigalsworth
    Options
    pasoegg said:

Been to all three....Iceland folks were not nice to the US citizens even though we built the airport they have and the city of Keflavick has totally left the face of earth following the Navy leaving.  Southern lights scared the doo out of me one night in late summer.  Great fjords and glaciers.  A lot of the terrain looks like the moon (was told they tested the lunar rover there).  Reklavick was a normal large city and the Hard Rock café was cool.

Ireland and Scotland is a lot of fun with something for everyone.  Food/castles/golf/lager and the country side is great.  Think you would feel more at home in this location as meals are more in tune with the US for the family.  Love the pubs and B&B's.  I vote for Ireland and Scotland.

I figured the chances of someone having been to both choices would have been about 1 in a million.  Egghead forum pulls through again!

Scott
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

employed by Western-Electric/AT&T many years ago and worked on SOSUS contract with US Navy...takes you to a lot of places all over the world...just lucky!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Whatever you choose, I hope you are able to fully enjoy your experience. I would be choosing the one with scotch distillery tours. Enjoy Larry!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Both are on my bucket list and so is Banff. Can't go wrong with either one. ;;)
    Banff is not in Scotland granny

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bigalsworth
    Options
    @GrannyX4 drive by Banff and head further into the interior to places like Golden, Vernon, Kelowna.  Well depending if you are headed there in the summer or the winter.  Banff is fudge shops selling maple syrup and Canada souvenirs.  Having said that, I guess its a good tourist town.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    edited December 2014
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    Both are on my bucket list and so is Banff. Can't go wrong with either one. ;;)
    Banff is not in Scotland granny

I did not know that. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    @GrannyX4 drive by Banff and head further into the interior to places like Golden, Vernon, Kelowna.  Well depending if you are headed there in the summer or the winter.  Banff is fudge shops selling maple syrup and Canada souvenirs.  Having said that, I guess its a good tourist town.

I would love to drive but only if MDSH goes along. Other wise I will do a tour and will be on the look out for the fudge shops and it will be in the summer. ;;)
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Looked up what MDSH was and got this as an answer

Likely Meaning:
    MDSH: Motorfluggruppe Dinslaken Schwarze Heide

Soooo I have no idea

Good hiking in Banff in the summer, but I'm not sure what else. I was mostly there in the winter. Camped in other places in the mountains in the summer
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• GrannyX4
    Options
    MDSH - my dear sweet husband. Sounds better than HWMBO..... ;;) won't be hiking either. Just love the beauty of the mountains, snow, ice. Don't see much of that here in flat Florida.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Ok who what or where is Banff?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • konablue50
    konablue50 Posts: 81
    edited December 2014
    Options
    this is the gods honest truth lol...my whole family is Scottish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fxs0Fm8834

Gordon
    South Florida
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    You've got to love a country that has the thistle as it's national flower.  How they chose the thistle is a great story, but still ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• GrannyX4
    Options
    Ok who what or where is Banff?

Banff if located in Alberta, Canada in the Canadian Rockies. It's on my short bucket list.
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @GrannyX4‌ ok thanks. Didn't think about canada. I am 99% sure it will be Scotland/Ireland we are looking at tour company's now.Not as bad as I thought. Not cheap but not bad either
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • GrannyX4
    Options
    The tour company I use is AAA. So far I have been very happy. I will be anxious to here how your trip goes and what are some of the must see places.