Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks

Options

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Praying for your mom, you and your family. Cancer is a tough one, but it sounds like hopefully they caught it early. Keep being strong for her.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Thanks for the update, great to hear she's moving out of ICU!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Matt- praying for you all. Wishing for some good news for Christmas.
    Greensboro, NC
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    She was moved to the next step below ICU about 3pm. Not sure what it's called. Still on the same floor as ICU.

You guy's are the best at keeping spirits high. Thank you for that.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Glad things turned for the better, I will be praying for your family.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I really hope everything turns around with your moms health. Stay strong

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Failed to send an update lately... 

Mom was transferred to intermediate ICU Sunday.  She was there until this morning.  They have her in a standard room now.  She actually had real food today (soup, pudding, and Coca-Cola (Mom loves Coca-Cola)).  

Yesterday the doctors made the comment that it could be after Christmas before she can leave, but they retracted that and said possibly the end of this week.  

I was able to see the wound they given her to remove the infection, and WOW and OMG.  It was long and deep!  She may require a skin graft in the future.  

Hopefully she is on the road to recovering from this and will be able to start her chemo and radiation.  

I appreciate you guys a lot!  I know I have said that a lot, but I really do appreciate each one of you.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that she is doing better.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That's good news Matt. I really hope she gets to spend the holidays at home with friends and family.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Matt - prayers to your mom and family! I hope that she continues to get better. She's lucky to have you there during the holidays. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• scruffee81
    Options

Matt,

Prayers for your mother and family!  From reading through the thread looks like things are getting better! Glad to read that!  Hope yall have a great Holidays!

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    My prayers are going out for Mrs.Tarheel Matt.  God Bless your family this Christmas season. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Excellent news...This is all sounding great..Thanks again for the update. God bless...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Wow, home for Christmas. Small steps and I will pray for that! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    That damn cancer! Everytime I turn around I'm hearing of someone with cancer.
    I wish your mom the best. It must be so hard for you. Hang in there. God Bless!!
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Matt I am just seeing this thread for the first time. I will have you and your mother in my prayers. You are a good son and your presence is no doubt helping her get through this. 

And your absence here was noticed. We need a plated pic with a fork in it soon! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Matt glad to hear things are trending in the right direction. Having gone through this with my father in law a few years ago I know how stressful it can be, stay strong for your mom and we will stay strong for you.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Cancer and the fight that go with it are not easy. Keep your spirits high and cherish every minute. Prayers and thoughts with you and your family.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Whoa Matt. Hang in there man.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Sorry to hear about the complications with the feeding tube and the infection, but glad to hear that she is well enough to be moved out of the intermediate unit.

The strength and support she gets from having you and loved ones  around is immeasurable, so hang in there. A lot of people are rooting for her (and you).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Great article..Thats a great honor and also to be named "Most Valuable Player".... Now lets get Mom back on her feet and back to her old self....You're doing a great job Matt.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Me and my family will keep your family in our prayers. Married to a 3 time cancer survivor so I know what your going through. Keep a good thought, the man upstairs will see you and your Mom through this.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    This is one of the reasons my whole house growing up loved UNC, and still do.  Though none of us go there, we do have somewhat of a personal connection.  

Thanks guys for taking a look.  I want to bring back her competitive side and get motivated.  However, I spoke to her today and they moved her to another room so she can be hooked to a heart monitor due to her potassium levels dropped.  I can see where it maybe tough for her to stay positive though, but we must get though this.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options

Hang in there!

Gotta love small-town newspapers "back in the day". Now we all know what the meal at the banquet consisted of.  What a hoot!

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    Matt, I am praying for your family during this difficult time. I pray for your strength to stay strong for your mother. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Sending prayers to your mom and family!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    tarheelmatt  Like someone else said...I missed this thread up until now.

I had throat cancer in 2012. Had to go through 4 very strong Chemo and 36 radiation treatments. No surgery. I had to have a port put in for meds and a feeding tube. 

I am fully recovered now and cancer free 6 months ago on my check-up. Only a couple tiny scars from the port and tube. 

My mouth gets dry due to damaged saliva glands from the radiation, but other than that...pretty much 100% recovered. Some sweets are not as good as they used to be because of damaged taste buds...again, the radiation.

Tell Mom to hang in there and it sure gets better quickly with time. Not too fun going through it, but afterwards, God gives us a great testimony !!!!

Prayers from my home as well.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Options
    That's great to hear. Hopefully the she will cruise from here.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ