Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice Needed: Getting it all done in time. I am at a loss.

Options
Zick
Zick Posts: 190
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Happy Holidays everyone!  My staff has asked me to cook the food for this year's holiday party.  Here is the challenge:

Cooking for 25 people
Needs to be finished by 11:00 am so I can drive to office and serve by noon.
Planning on a pork shoulder around 8 lbs.  aprox time to cook 15 hours
Planning on 8-10 racks of ribs using the 3-2-1 method

I have an XL but have no idea how to set up the egg to get it all cooked in time.

Suggestions on set up PLEASE!

Always thankful to all of you in the forum.
When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

The pork can be pulled a day or two ahead and warmed day of.  It will be just as good and you can still claim you cooked it for 15 hours. 

Looks like you'll be up early with the ribs. 

Ho Ho Ho! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bclarksicle
    Options
    agreed on cooking the pork ahead of time. Also, I might do 2 or 3 butts and do less ribs. Everybody can get plenty of pulled pork and just a rib or two. Don't have an XL, but 8-10 racks of ribs sounds tough to cook at once. 
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    I agree with @bclarksicle‌, I would do more pork butts.
  • gmbbs
    gmbbs Posts: 110
    Options
    When I do butts/ribs for a crowd, I do the butts so they're done 5 hours before eating time. Then the butts go in a cooler to hold, and ribs go on. Butts can be foiled and finish cooking in the oven while the ribs cook if needed. You could also go turbo on the ribs to speed up the process. Good luck!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    It will not be as good, but I have cooked BBQ on Sunday.  Pulled Sunday evening, chop, and then place in containers.  Poured a little dip over that and then re-heat the next day with a crock pot.  It isn't the same, trust me, but folks here go crazy what I bring in.  

Ribs, never done that so cannot comment really.  My suggestion would be to cook and pull an hour before.  Foil them up and transport.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Also, this might be me, I would throw another shoulder or butt on just to be sure.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Ok somebody has to say, so here I go In this case turbo is your friend. I would do as mentioned above and do 2 butts and cut back on the ribs. Put the butts on around 8pm the night before at 275-300 they should be done by 7ish the next morning the do the 6 or so racks of ribs at 325-350(skip the foil and low temps) and that will get you done by 9:30- 10am the day of your party. Butt has been FTC'd for 4hrs(no problem) Ribs are FTC'd and transported and all is still piping hot and fresh. You be the hero.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • THEBuckeye
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @carolinaQ

Disagree. Warmed butt makes GREAT sandwiches for days. I'm just trying to help take away some stress for cooking for that many when it is not  their day job. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I love to do low and slow but I have to agree with @Mattman3969‌ It will make your life easier and reduce your stress level of hitting your time limit.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    I'd do more butts and less ribs. Cook butts and pull them the night before. Then reheat in disposable pans in the morning. If you put the ribs vertical rather than flat you will get 8-10 racks no problem. Good luck!
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    @carolinaQ

Disagree. Warmed butt makes GREAT sandwiches for days. I'm just trying to help take away some stress for cooking for that many when it is not  their day job. 
    :) Guess it depends on your standards. Reheated butt is better than NO butt. But it ain't gonna be "great". There is something to be said for reducing the stress level. I'll give you that. But the product will suffer.

Unhappy with everything I had tried, I called the Skylight Inn (well known NC Q joint) a while back and asked them how they reheated theirs. He said, "You can't reheat it. It's just not GOOD!" Comes off the pit, gets chopped and served. Tomorrow, they do it again.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I'm just commenting because I love your avatar.  YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!!!!!!!!
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,513
    Options
    Great suggestion @Mattman3969, however I'd say 300F is hybrid turbo, true turbo is 350F  ;):)
    canuckland
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I'm with you on the hybrid turbo, I was just trying to get him some sleep and not have to start at midnight doing the true turbo. :D

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

+1 for doing the butts the day before, whether turbo or not is up to you. If you turbo, it may hold up to reheating better, since the fat seems to render out somewhat less for turbo (in my experience at least. I second the motion for cooking 2 butts.

For the ribs, plan on cooking fewer racks (4-6) the morning of the event. Skip the 3-2-1 and go turbo for those too. I gave up 3-2-1 a long time ago because of the effort involved.

Is anyone making the sides? If there are sides, people will eat less meat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Carolina Q said: THEBuckeye said: @carolinaQ
    Disagree. Warmed butt makes GREAT sandwiches for days. I'm just trying to help take away some stress for cooking for that many when it is not  their day job.  :) Guess it depends on your standards. Reheated butt is better than NO butt. But it ain't gonna be "great". There is something to be said for reducing the stress level. I'll give you that. But the product will suffer.
    Unhappy with everything I had tried, I called the Skylight Inn (well known NC Q joint) a while back and asked them how they reheated theirs. He said, "You can't reheat it. It's just not GOOD!" Comes off the pit, gets chopped and served. Tomorrow, they do it again.

Honestly that makes a total of 2 people I know who
    don't like reheated pulled pork.  You and the guy from skylight Inn :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jeroldharter
    Options
    Are you cooking for people or catering for people? I ask because there is a difference if you are merely supplying food or if the food is part of the party.

I would not pull the pork ahead of time. Turbo baby backs don't take much time. So turbo the butts (I just did 2  8-lb butts at 350 (5.5 hours). FTC the butts and they will keep for several hours. I pulled mine at 5:30 AM and served it piping hot at noon. People really enjoy watching two big pork shoulders fall apart in the bear claws and the smell is a treat. Beat pulling out a tupperware of chopped up meat for the microwave.

The ribs you could complete shortly before the event and FTC those as well. Like the butts, I would not cut them until it is time to serve them.

Just to be clear, I like re-heated pork but I would not want to serve it to 25 friends if I could just as easily rip apart a whole shoulder. Plus, I would rather get up early and cook on one day than cook for two straight days. To each his own.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    Key words: "My staff"...

He has a day job and probably enjoys a good night's sleep. It's not Brisket Camp in NOLA. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Honestly that makes a total of 2 people I know who don't like reheated pulled pork.  You and the guy from skylight Inn :)

Suit yourself. I'll make it easy for you. I believe you can still buy pork "barbecue" in a can in grocery stores in the south. ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    You could just cook the ribs the day before and reheat in foil the day off. Cook the butt and FTC in time for the party.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Come on guys! Nobody even suggested getting a 2nd egg (this would be an ideal time to have it) :-/
    And an AR would definitely be a + with only one egg. You could have the butt or butts on the lower grid level with ribs going in about 3-5 hrs before the butts are completed. Don't have an AR? Okay...then a homemade raised grid would work too (did something similar on my large with brisket and ribs with a homemade raised grid).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • AmericanFlannel
    Options
    Reheating pulled pork is ok i you do it in a vacuum sealed bag warmed in boiling water. I would almost say you can't tell the difference in a blind taste test.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Due to the timing I would do an overnight cook on the butt(s).  I would add an hour to pad the schedule for the butts because you can FTC them a long time.  So, if you estimate a 15 hour cook then put the butts on at 7 PM the night before.  Get up at 5 AM and throw the ribs on.  FTC each when they are ready.  Check my numbers...I haven't finished my first cup of coffee.

If you have a pit controller this will be less stressful.  If you don't, hit up @Stlcharcoal and buy yourself an early Xmas present ;)  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Cook the butts all night. Start em late afternoon day before...cooler em. In a good cooler they will stay hot for hours.if your skeptical wrap em in towels then cooler em. If you start the ribs very early they will be done and hot for your 11 am pawtee..all my opinion.
    Hadnt egged a cook like this but have in a former smoking life..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Zick
    Zick Posts: 190
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone!  As always, this forum is fantastic.  Happy holidays to you all. I will let you know how it went!
    When was the last time you did something for the first time? - Zick Boulder, CO
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Butts will NOT be just as good if cooked and pulled early and then reheated. They just won't.
    I can't recall one time when I started to pull the pork I never gave it a sample or two or three.... The meat is in its prime condition at that point and the cook/shredder gets to pick out some of the prized pieces to compensate for the work.